Spaceweather wondering about the next sunspot cycle: could it be a big one? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
In the article below, Spaceweather.com discusses a new theory about sunspot cycles. Each cycle appears to be kicked off when oppositely 'charged' bands of magnetism meet at the sun's equator. This is called a 'terminator' event. A new theory is that if these events are closer together, a strong sunspot cycle ensues (lots of space weather from the sun in the form of CMEs, etc). If they are further apart then the cycle is a weak one (more cosmic rays get through since the CMEs that 'sweep' them away, aren't as active).

They also mention a higher rate of heart related events in humans has been correlated to more CMEs, i.e, the sun's health affects our human health; rather directly.

Who remembers the movie of the same name?

Edit: BTW, I understand this theory to be in direct opposition to Ben Davidson's sunspot forecast found here (Grand Solar Minimum): https://suspicious0bservers.org/
.. and so we predict, try out theories and learn; sound familiar? O.o:D :))

Last edited:

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Who remembers the movie of the same name?
looking it up - and wow, so many movies with the name termination.

it is an interesting idea, and I guess we will find out which way things go in the near future.

OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
looking it up - and wow, so many movies with the name termination.
Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to Arnold Schwarzeneger in "Terminator"

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
I wonder how the sunspot situation is now compared to 2012. In 2012 we had a very hot summer with temperatures reaching 112F. This year we are having very hot temperatures again, even in May, and it's reached 95F already before June. This could turn out to be a very hot summer again in my area of Michigan.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Started the week with a statewide notice to conserve electricity - the heat is life threatening for the unprepared.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Started the week with a statewide notice to conserve electricity - the heat is life threatening for the unprepared.
Jeepers, Linda. Climatically, you're in a "hot zone", or was that a "cold zone" only recently?

• I agree

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
A subjective note (since I haven't researched it) but our weather here on the west coast of Western Australia feels like it is wetter than normal. Yes, our winters are wet - that's when we get our rain - if we get any. But the amount of rain falling over the last 2 months has almost made me forget I live in a semi-arid zone. Concurrently the opposite side of our continent keeps getting blasted with Antarctic weather (freezing cold and unusual snows). If the South-West of Western Australia is really getting wetter, it's going to be a fabulous temperate zone. So glad I'm already established here.

• Intriguing Post

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Jeepers, Linda. Climatically, you're in a "hot zone", or was that a "cold zone" only recently?
Yes, we had a snowmageddon in February. Now temps and heat indexes are at August levels, which are blistering. However, we may get some relief from a tropical storm brewing in the Gulf of Mexico. The western part of the country is a hot zone right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)