Soy & Your Health (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
This topic can become complicated as there are many ways to look at the health impact of soy. One important fact is that GMO soy is likely not good for us.

It was in 1998 that the first genetically modified soybean was introduced to the U.S. market, by Monsanto. In 2014, 90.7 million hectares of GM soy were planted worldwide, 82% of the total soy cultivation area— right now, you an imagine that most sources of soy are GMO based, so the percentage could be higher/

A friend mentioned this about her experience with soy: "Just been to a talk about female hormones and healthy eating this past week, and the expert said to avoid all soy products apart from the fermented ones. Soy has Phytoestrogens that mimics Oestrogen. If someone has low Oestrogen production and need more, soy is a perfect food to bring balance. However, with modern diet of high gluten and sugar, most people have high Oestrogen level, not low. And high Oestrogen is associated with endometriosis, uteral fibrosis, breast cancer, PMS, mood swings...., and many more female health problems. I have stopped eating soy many years ago when I found a fibroid in my uterus, and have been advocating on avoiding soy ever since. The point is we have to eat according to our body type and what our body needs. Not just follow the trend of what is promoted as healthy food. The food industry will promote anything that sells." (...) "In China, 20% of women over 30 years old has endometriosis or uterine fibrosis. When I lived in Japan, my doctor also told me these are common health issues among Japanese women over 30. And they have a full organic non-GMO soy policy in all industries that use soybeans."

"In a major ongoing study involving 3,734 elderly Japanese-American men, those who ate the most tofu during midlife had up to 2.4 times the risk of later developing Alzheimer’s disease. As part of the three-decade long Honolulu-Asia Aging Study, 27 foods and drinks were correlated with participants’ health. Men who consumed tofu at least twice weekly had more cognitive impairment than those who rarely or never ate the soybean curd.1, 2​
“The test results were about equivalent to what they would have been if they were five years older,” said lead researcher Dr. Lon R. White from the Hawaii Center for Health Research. For the guys who ate no tofu, however, they tested as though they were five years younger.​
What’s more, higher midlife tofu consumption was also associated with low brain weight. Brain atrophy was assessed in 574 men using MRI results and in 290 men using autopsy information. Shrinkage occurs naturally with age, but for the men who had consumed more tofu, White said “their brains seemed to be showing an exaggeration of the usual patterns we see in aging.”" More: https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/soy-alert/soy-and-the-brain/.​

46340611_10161019936285057_5507783382269952000_n.jpg
Then there is the issue of how soy beans are processed, and this can also lead to health issues.

Here is a December, 2010 article over on Dr Mercola's site:
  • "The health risks of soy outweigh its benefits. The Weston Price Foundation has compiled a list of dangers associated to soy consumption
  • It is important to take note of the differences between unfermented soy and fermented soy – the unfermented type contains anti-nutrients that cause health problems
  • About 90 percent of soy grown in the United States is genetically modified, which induces additional health problems
  • Fermented soy, like tempeh, natto, miso, and soy sauce, offer numerous health benefits. Due to the fermentation process, the phytates and anti-nutrients of soy are reduced, and the food’s beneficial properties become available to your digestive system"
https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/12/04/soy-dangers-summarized.aspx

Soy, a complicated topic!

Last edited:
Reactions: Anaeika

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
95% or more of soy (and corn and wheat) grown in the US is sprayed with Roundup whether it's GMO or not. Eating non-GMO plants will not help you much. Many other non-GMO crops are sprayed at harvest time so they all die at the same time, and can be harvested. This systemic pesticide cannot be washed off, it is in every cell of the plant.

Anecdote: People in the US who have to eat gluten free don't seem to have a problem eating gluten grains (like wheat flour) in Europe because the European laws are more strict about spraying with pesticides. So, what's the difference between US and European grown wheat? The Roundup and other systemic pesticides sprayed on them.

Non-GMO does not necessarily mean safe.

Also, some GMO plants are modified to resist drought or other simple things. These probably are not harmful to us.

Other GMO plants are modified to resist roundup (a pesticide) or produce their own insecticide called Bt. Yep, the same thing you put in your pond to kill mosquito larva. Actually Bt kills almost all invertebrates if the insect eats it. Bt contains a toxin called crytoxin, and this toxin kills bugs by poking holes in their stomach. Bt is also bad for humans and we might get some of the leaky gut symptoms from Bt crytoxin.

GMO crops that produce Bt are: potatoes, cotton (used in India), and corn. Guess which ingredients are used the most in US snack foods? Corn, potatoes, wheat.

One article on Bt vs human consumption. Includes links to studies and more info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laron and Anaeika

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Never liked tofu.

The GMO question has come up before, and I went to the horse's mouth for an answer, which is linked below. The main point, as is described above, is that non-GMO applies to the actual item and not to what happens during its growth and harvesting. The lovely non-GMO verified label is popping up on all kinds of products, which gives people confidence. However, without the organic label, it really is meaningless. Of course organic foods would not have GMO seeds or feed, so what is the purpose of that label. Makes you wonder, right?

In my work, I got an education about the different categories of food. Labeling in the US is tricky - natural, organic, certified organic. Natural can mean just about anything. Organic may mean the grower is working toward the certification or that all or part of the product is organic. Certified organic means the grower has gone through a process of certifying not only the food and treatment, but also the ground are free of chemical contaminants. It is that third part about the soil that is the most expensive in terms of finding the right place.

The idea about chemical treatment of grains being the problem for people makes sense to me. I had no problems with grain products until about 15 years ago. Before I knew about gluten intolerance, I noticed that some foods (pasta and bread) made me feel unwell. I called them "puffy food" because that was how I felt after eating. It has gotten worse over the years and now I eat only gluten free items, which also are organic. This has become a major issue because our grocery store has dedicated shelf space for GF products.

https://www.transients.info/roundtable/threads/non-gmo-ad.3475/#post-21854

Reactions: Laron and Anaeika

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I avoid soy products bc I have a thyroid condition. There is a correlation between hypothyroidism and soy intake. I do not have a genetic reason to have this condition—I have been tested! It’s idiopathic. I reason the cause is environmental & soy products. The spiritual connection is a possibility too, relating to the the throat chakra. I know I need work here.

What is interesting about Laron ’s comment is the commonplace of female health issues related to soy. My traditional nutrition classes taught me the high rate of soy in Japan & China were not related to poor health. Nothing was mentioned of women hormonal diseases. Is this a gender bias? Or more research was conducted? Anyway, it is really interesting and I want to learn more about this.

Reactions: Laron and Linda
OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Great comments everyone — they all expand on this information to keep people informed, helping with their food decisions.

Reactions: Anaeika

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)