Some schools starting later (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Although we don't have children at home now, I do recall the difficulties of getting out the door on time with all the stuff, not to mention eating breakfast and brushing teeth. It was not an especially happy start to the day.

Bolstered by a mountain of sleep science research that says pre-teens and teenagers are some of the most sleep-deprived people and would actually do better in school with more rest, these forward-thinking schools are finally cutting worn-out students a break.

http://www.businessinsider.com/school-start-times-2016-10

Reactions: Stargazer

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I understand that there's plenty of research on this subject, all generally pointing in the direction of sanity being found with later school starts:D

If you'd like to read a summary of this (plus of the effects of regular exercise on a variety of serious mental health issues), a book called "Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain" by John Ratey is one of my favourite summaries. Typically, he describes that a slew of social issues from misebehaviour at dances to class attention seem to resolve themselves and academic markers riseo_O<3:-))

Once again, I mention the research backing this up, since, in my experience, it is so much easier to convince folks of the obvious when you can point to a study that shows it. One day, I hope to live in a world where we can all sit down and have a think together, decide that the obvious is obvious, pat each other on the back and just do it!:-D:-D:-D:-D<3
In the meantime, studies that show the obvious often seem to help smooth the transition :))

From a mother's point of view, I do all I can to get the kids to have their sleep because they are so much more fun to be around when they eat well, sleep, and exercise regularly... as do we all, but in the case of kids and teenagers, they are doing all that constant growing to boot!
It's a no brainer if you ask me! :-D
So many issues just melt away... all by themselves! What's not to love about that? :)<3o:)

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I get the idea, but frankly, I almost see it as an "enablement" (i.e., the school has to take measures to "fix" a problem when it's a parent's responsibility to take care of the kids' needs). There's no doubt that kids respond well to structure (regular mealtimes, regular homework times, regular bedtimes, etc.). With our "modern" way of life, there's little room for that kind of regularity--unless the parents make it a priority.

I'm almost shocked when my teenage son puts himself to bed at 9:30 or so on school nights, even though he could stay up to 10 without my wife or I complaining. I guess even he knows he feels better when he gets a decent night's sleep!

:)

Reactions: Anaeika and Lila

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)