Silencing Your Mind in Meditation (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Brad

Spiritual & Meditation Teacher
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
www.mindful-meditations.com
Brad submitted a new transients.info article.

Silencing Your Mind in Meditation

Silencing one's mind in meditation is often a desirable goal for many meditators, particularly in the hustle and bustle of our modern world. In one sense, in our modern society, technology and computers have made life easier, but at the same time also consume more of our time and energy. Silencing the mind is a skill, which can be learned by anyone willing to spend some time practicing meditation. The aim should not be to have no thoughts, but to have an element of control over one's thoughts and mental chatter. In this meditation lesson, I will cover some tips and techniques you may like to try to silence your mind.

Mastering one's mind is a worthwhile endeavour, because unless your head isn't firmly attached to your body, you carry it around with you your entire life. While you have...
Click here to continue on to the original article.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I meditate best when I am driving long distances on roads I know very well.
Interesting you said that Slayer, I do much the same thing on my 5 hour drive up north
I tend to go every second or third weekend so I do that drive often. It's amazing how the time disappears when my mind is elsewhere. On account of that I prefer to do the drive alone.

Reactions: Laron and Stargazer

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland

Silencing one's mind in meditation is often a desirable goal for many meditators, particularly in the hustle and bustle of our modern world. In one sense, in our modern society, technology and computers have made life easier, but at the same time also consume more of our time and energy. Silencing the mind is a skill, which can be learned by anyone willing to spend some time practicing meditation. The aim should not be to have no thoughts, but to have an element of control over one's thoughts and mental chatter. In this meditation lesson, I will cover some tips and techniques you may like to try to silence your mind.

Mastering one's mind is a worthwhile endeavour, because unless your head isn't firmly attached to your body, you carry it around with you your entire life. While you have...
The first times I tried to meditate I could not still my mind at all, and it was a real struggle. But then I moved to premises where some sort of boiler, heater or some machine was running in the background, 24/7 and it had a specific rhythm. I found my mind latching on to that rhythm and then I really learned to meditate! Great article Brad. Thank you.

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Brad

Brad

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
I meditate best when I am driving long distances on roads I know very well.
Interesting you said that Slayer, I do much the same thing on my 5 hour drive up north
I tend to go every second or third weekend so I do that drive often. It's amazing how the time disappears when my mind is elsewhere. On account of that I prefer to do the drive alone.
I remember as a child the vibration of being in a car while my parents drove, was very relaxing. I would often find myself drifting off to sleep.

OP
Brad

Brad

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia

The first times I tried to meditate I could not still my mind at all, and it was a real struggle. But then I moved to premises where some sort of boiler, heater or some machine was running in the background, 24/7 and it had a specific rhythm. I found my mind latching on to that rhythm and then I really learned to meditate! Great article Brad. Thank you.
That's interesting Pod. Background sounds can aid meditation, particularly if they have a rhythm like you experienced. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I remember as a child the vibration of being in a car while my parents drove, was very relaxing.
I have not thought of those days in awhile. Getting somewhere in Texas must be a lot like Australia - there are hours of driving. My Dad was a drive straight through kind of a guy, which meant we drove a lot at night. I would lie down on the floor in the back and sort of float away with the vibrations of the car.

OP
Brad

Brad

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 27, 2016
Australia
I remember as a child the vibration of being in a car while my parents drove, was very relaxing.
I have not thought of those days in awhile. Getting somewhere in Texas must be a lot like Australia - there are hours of driving. My Dad was a drive straight through kind of a guy, which meant we drove a lot at night. I would lie down on the floor in the back and sort of float away with the vibrations of the car.
Hi Linda, yes Australia is very spread out, so there can be lots of driving. :)

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)