Sea steading - human made islands (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I immediately went to the what ifs and legalities, but the developers seem to have covered most of them. I still don't know what would happen in a hurricane or typhoon. Some friends of mine retired to Hawaii and were telling me that some people develop island fever where not being connected to a large land mass drives some people nuts. I've visited some islands, but don't have a feel for what it might be like long-term.

There are smaller examples of similar developments, such as an island in a river in the US and the floating structures used by Google (I think). Of course, there is the original version - the house boat.

An illustration provided by the Seasteading Institute shows the organization's vision for a "floating city" off the coast of French Polynesia. The Seasteading Institute

The Seasteading Institute tells Business Insider it has found a partner, French Polynesia, to help build a floating city in the South Pacific. A formal agreement, which is likely to be passed, according to Hencken, now awaits the signature of President Édouard Fritch.

http://www.businessinsider.com/silicon-valley-seasteading-institute-2016-9

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I need some land around me. The water is beautiful but I don't feel secure without a way to escape hurricanes. I've been through too many.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I need some land around me. The water is beautiful but I don't feel secure without a way to escape hurricanes. I've been through too many.
That was my main thought about living in Hawaii...I just adore the place, but it felt weird to be so far from any other land. Almost discomforting in a way.

Hmmm. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that feeling could be a remnant "memory" from a past life on Lemuria (of which the current Hawaiian Islands are said to be the remaining tip)? o_O

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Some friends told me there is a condition known as "island fever", where people get very uncomfortable about not being connected to a land mass - like cabin fever, I guess.

SG - you raise an interesting point. I've not spent enough time on an island to see if I have that issue.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Some friends told me there is a condition known as "island fever", where people get very uncomfortable about not being connected to a land mass - like cabin fever, I guess.

SG - you raise an interesting point. I've not spent enough time on an island to see if I have that issue.
Interesting...didn't realize it even had a name! :) Honestly, I feel just fine while I'm there, but the missus and I talked about it when we first went for our honeymoon (and that was many, many moons ago--LOL). At the time, I wasn't so sure I could live there. Another issue for me was the near-constant balmy weather. As nice as it is, I really enjoy cooler weather and the changing of seasons--I'd miss those a great deal.

Now, I have a much greater appreciation for the history and connection of the land and its people with Spirit. I'm sure I could grow to love it unconditionally if I were ever to actually plant roots there. I know the missus would approve! She had to live in snow in her younger years and isn't all that fond of it. :)

I suppose if I wanted snow, I could always go to The Big Island...I understand they get it. And wow, yes, they do...I just noticed this:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/us/hawaii-snow-warning/

Do surfboards work in powder?

:)

Reactions: Anaeika

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)