Rocks from northcentral New Mexico (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Some of my interesting exploits have begun with me looking down, and boy did I hit the mother lode this time. We were near Ghost Ranch (Georgia O'Keefe) and stopped to take pictures of some amazing cliffs. I looked down and saw all these spectacular rocks. They were sparkling in the sunlight. Then I looked around and saw that all the ground was sparkling. There is a lot of quartz and flourite in this area, so I guess that might be the source.

Here are my pictures. It's been cloudy for days, so I have not been able to get good photos. You will have to take my word about the colors.

First is the purple and red group.
Second is the blue group.
Third is the green group.
Fourth is a close up of one of the green group. It shows how much sparkling quartz or whatever is in the rocks. All of them sparkle like this.

WP_20170528_001.jpg WP_20170528_002.jpg WP_20170528_003.jpg WP_20170528_005.jpg

Last edited:

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Looks like it might be pyrite flecks in the green group? That sure give sparkle! It's what sparkles in lapis lazuli, among others.

I bet they would look cool wet:cool:
Some stones look so magical sparkling in the sunlight in a creekbed, but not as impressive later. Still feel great, though:-D

Reactions: Laron and Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
As we drove along, we noticed the entire landscape sparkled - it was everywhere. It was mesmerizing, but not obvious unless you were really looking.

Reactions: Laron and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)