Rock Art (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I notice designs in some of the rocks I collect and shape them to bring out the form. I only do hand sanding or carving. This picture is of a bas-relief tree carved from soapstone. The reddish spots are concentrated iron deposits. The presence of the iron gives the soapstone a pinkish hue.
tree.jpg

Tammy Kilgore

Lover of the the Light
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Pontiac, Illinois (USA)
I notice designs in some of the rocks I collect and shape them to bring out the form. I only do hand sanding or carving. This picture is of a bas-relief tree carved from soapstone. The reddish spots are concentrated iron deposits. The presence of the iron gives the soapstone a pinkish hue.
View attachment 29
It's beautiful Linda!

Reactions: Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It looks at home in NZ. :)
Soapstone retains heat and was used by American Indians for cooking vessels. It was used as fireplace and stove tiles, too because it radiated heat back into the room. It can be ground up into talc. It also is used for counter tops because it is resistant to staining.
...... Another educational moment.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Reactions: Brian

Brian

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 28, 2016
California
I love this - just need a tube of super-glue and I'm off to new creations! Thanks for the inspiration.

PSS - I was able to open the link.
Yeah, I created an album on Google so that I could post them. What I meant was that when trying to post a picture from my phone... the "post reply" option disappears. Also, lol the guy who stacked rocks didn't use glue, but that might work too.

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)