• Welcome Guest
    Welcome to the Roundtable Forum, the community boards for www.transients.info. If you have an account already, please log in, otherwise feel free to sign up. Note that you will be unable to post new threads, reply to existing threads, or have access to some boards and information unless you are logged in after signing up with a forum account. By being registered you can also post comments on front page articles using your forum Account.

Rent–To–Buy Tiny Homes

Laron

Healing Facilitator & Consciousness Guide
Staff member
Administrator
Board Moderator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
More and more people are becoming aware of tiny houses—houses that have everything you need which take up a much smaller amount of space. I came across a rent–to–buy option yesterday, where you pay a weekly amount of rent, but at the same time you are paying off your mortgage for the tiny house. For example, you start renting at NZ $350 a week, and in 12 years you have paid off your tiny house that could be worth about $110,000, and that rent/payment includes insurance. Something to think about.

I’ve included some photos of one tiny home that this NZ based company offers, http://www.diyhousebuilding.com/rent-to-buy-tiny-houses.html. (They also offer the rent–to–buy option.)

43526418_10155617786166283_5962362325741600768_n.jpg 43280920_10160873832255057_360394085946621952_n.jpg 43358996_10160873832165057_5888680254813241344_n.jpg 43411694_10160873832175057_6287059220504248320_n.jpg

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
Retired Moderator
I'd love to live in one of these on the countryside. Impossible in my country. Like how they made the wardrobe and drawers the stairs to the sleeping room at the same time.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
The houses are beautiful and seem to be well designed. I've watched the growth of the tiny house movement and see that it is filling a need for reasonably priced housing for many. It makes a lot of sense to me.

However, any rent to own scenario has to be carefully considered. In my work, I've come across the bad ones. They can be a great way to buy, but you need your own real estate attorney to review the contract. It will be well worth the cost.

The things that work for the renter / buyer are in the linked article, and they are a powerful incentive.

The things that can go wrong include the owner/ developer not paying taxes, which may result in a lien on the property and / or tax sale, which can happen without the renter's knowledge. Insurance might not be paid, and in the event of damage to the property, the renter has no recourse. The owner might have taken out a loan to buy the land and build the property but default, and the lender assumes ownership through foreclosure. Also, if the properties are in a group setting, like a condominium development where the grounds are under common ownership, the potential problems can increase. These are just a few.

Some owners / developers use this technique when traditionally qualified buyers are few. It can be a win-win situation for all, but just like about everything in life, be sure to pay attention to the details.

Carl

Boundless Creation
Be aware as well that as we get older we tend to bump more into things, in other words, we loose coordination and need more room to maneuver so tiny houses aren't for everybody. When we lived in Washington state the lot next to ours was bought by a couple and the wife was a former nurse for elderly people and was approaching her golden years, so based in her professional observations designed and built their house with very interesting features like wider corridors, wider door openings, pass through openings to minimize unnecessary movement, lower cabinets, etc. A wise couple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)