Probiotics for preventing resistant Staph Aureus growth (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I happened upon an article that caught my attention because it is discussing a potential use for probiotics, which I have been using for years.

This article discusses some experiments done after looking at the poop of 200 rural Thai people. They chose this population to study because: "They speculated that Thais would not be as affected by food sterilization or antibiotics as people in highly developed urban areas."
What they found was that when a bacterium called Bacillus Subtilis (a 'good bactrium' which is in many probiotics) was present in the poop samples, no Staph Aureus was in the poop. Then, they found that the good bacteria secreted substances called fengicins that inhibited Stap Aureus, including the dreaded MRSA type (methicillin resistant Staph Aureus). Yippee!

Then they fed some mice who had Staph aureus in their gut some the good bacteria and found that and found that it eliminated the Staph aureus. It only worked when the good bacteria were able to secrete the fengicins like they normally do. If they turned off the good bacteria's ability to produce fengicins Staph aureus bacteria were able to grow.

So, at least in mice, it seems from this that eating a probiotic containing Bacillus Subtilis could prevent or even treat Staph Areus in the gut, even the dreaded resistant type.

Here is the link to the full article: https://www.mdedge.com/fedprac/article/184064/mixed-topics/can-probiotics-beat-mrsa?utm_source=News_Power_eNL_111218_F&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Trending: Stuttering and Brain Stimulation | Low-Dose Aspirin Limits | & More

Reactions: Angela and Anaeika

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
This article has me checking my probiotic bottle.

Reactions: Lila

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Lila, you are the intrepid Masked Investigator!

Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Yep! Scientists are learning more and more about how the good bacteria in our gut promote good health, AND keep the bad bacteria at bay. What kills off the good bacteria? A diet full of processed starches and sugars, low in undercooked (raw or semi-raw) plant matter.

These links might help.

List of GMO crops used in countries.
"Broken" gut bacteria and the fecal bacteria transplant.
A study: "The Impact of Diet and Lifestyle on Gut Microbiota and Human Health". From NIH.
Studies on glyphosate, and other pesticides. Along with links to free libraries of studies.

Reactions: Lila and Anaeika
OP
Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Yep! Scientists are learning more and more about how the good bacteria in our gut promote good health, AND keep the bad bacteria at bay. What kills off the good bacteria? A diet full of processed starches and sugars, low in undercooked (raw or semi-raw) plant matter.

These links might help.

List of GMO crops used in countries.
"Broken" gut bacteria and the fecal bacteria transplant.
A study: "The Impact of Diet and Lifestyle on Gut Microbiota and Human Health". From NIH.
Studies on glyphosate, and other pesticides. Along with links to free libraries of studies.
Another treatsure trove. Thanks, therium.

Reactions: Anaeika

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)