Pixar technology takes on healing (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I found this notice on the IONS (Institute of Noetic Sciences) website. It looks like an interesting use of the technology, and I'm sure I would have to be dragged away from the programs. The ice cave idea is spectacular.

However.....

My second thought was about the slippery slope of dependence on AI. I believe we are in a grey area and need to think things through before we plunge full speed ahead.

Loren Carpenter, co-founder of Pixar, now at IONS, has set up a full immersion virtual reality lab at IONS that will allow a participant to fly thru space, paint a reality in 3-D then travel around in it, or paddle the Grand Canyon. The purpose is to study emotional and physical reactions to perceptions to see whether there are applications for increasing joy and compassion, relieving chronic pain or depression, or inducing out of body experiences. Another Lab has been able to help cool the pain of children burn victims by allowing them to perceive that they are in an ice cave.

http://community.noetic.org/blog/ions-community-group-leader-call-summary-june-14th-2016

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Yes, this seems one of those 'it matters how we do it' type scenarios.
True for any tool, I suppose<3

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
When we first got mobile phones, we gained freedom and safety, but soon we were a slave to the phone and always accessible. When smart phones came along, the uses were wonderful such as being able to pull up a road map when you were lost. Not long after, we were faced with part of our families having their noses buried in their phones when we got together for holidays. (BTW - I handle this by asking one of them a weird question like "What is the weather in Iceland", and the phones go away.)

These uses of technology have the potential of helping people, but we want to be sure contact with other people and the natural world are not lost in the process.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I read a book recently called 'ready player one'. It's in a future when everything is through a virtual reality system called Oasis. They literally stay strapped into it all day, getting off to sleep and maybe shower or eat. So much so that the actual environment is in extreme crisis.

I do very much agree that it's such a slippery slope. But advancing technology in such a way is so intriguing. I wonder where the proper line is to be drawn.

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I wonder where the proper line is to be drawn.
I believe it is up to people like us, who have a "big picture" view, to share our ideas about balance.

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
I read a book recently called 'ready player one'. It's in a future when everything is through a virtual reality system called Oasis. They literally stay strapped into it all day, getting off to sleep and maybe shower or eat. So much so that the actual environment is in extreme crisis.

I do very much agree that it's such a slippery slope. But advancing technology in such a way is so intriguing. I wonder where the proper line is to be drawn.
Life is like a pendulum many times Angela, goes from extreme to extreme, but the trick is to keep the pendulum with a minimum of oscillations as to have at the center and almost still.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
(BTW - I handle this by asking one of them a weird question like "What is the weather in Iceland", and the phones go away.)
Your comment above reminds me that 100% Sage and 100% Magician are very apt for you.

Reactions: Stargazer and Linda

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia

Common sense and a deep connection with Mother Gaia's core will have to prevail. Pilots use flight simulators but then have to fly in the real world. Star Trek The Next Generation and Voyager series have explored some of the main characters having virtual love affairs in programmes on the Holodeck. Obviously, this would be a relationship where you held the upper hand. How long would it take to realise, however, that the responses from your hologram love were feigned?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)