Personalized Probiotics – In Five Years, It Will Be Routine Medical Practice (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Just a few days ago, I read an article on how scientists are finding a distinct link between the bacteria in the gut and Parkinsons disease. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38173287

Twenty years when I saw my first naturopath and discovered I had Candida Albicans, parasites, you name it, alternative practitioners were already talking about the need for a healthy gut and a strong microbiome. "Eat shit and die" is really "Eat shit and LIVE"

A new article from KAREN FOSTER at Prevent Disease heralds full circle now that the scientists have finally caught up with the naturopaths. Hurrah! It's time for "International Microbiome Day"

Personalized Probiotics- In Five Years, It Will Be Routine Medical Practice

Intestinal bacteria play a key role in causing and preventing many diseases. Consequently, giving personalised gut health advice will be routine medical practice in five years, predicts the researcher behind the new start-up Map My Gut and big gut data projects British Gut and Kings College London's TwinsUK Registry.

http://preventdisease.com/news/16/120216_Personalized-Probiotics-5-Years-Routine-Medical-Practice.shtml

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The holistic vet who gave Pepper the acupuncture treatment suggested the addition of probiotics to her diet. I've always added a little organic yogurt to the food of our dogs. Isn't it interesting that these ideas are gaining attention in so many different areas?

Moonseal

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
Northern California
Pod, this is a great topic. The connection between our gut and the health of the entire body is bound to be revealed in the next few years. I've been experimenting with pro-biotics, myself, and have actually noticed that bifidobacterium assist my mind as well as my gut. Crazy, huh? It is my own personal opinion that foods are such a personal medicine that each individual has their own "best foods/best supplements". I used to take spirullina and blue green algae...but my body does not want them right now. Currently, I take a fair amount of digestive enzymes...and sometimes I think it's because of the changes in our bodies coupled with g@d-only-knows-what GMO's we are exposed to unless adhering to strict food guidelines.

For example, I was taking lactaid anytime I ate dairy...organic California dairy. Then, as I was traveling through Wisconsin earlier this year, I was eating organic cheese with absolutely no need for lactaid. I was speaking to a dairy producer there who said that source is incredibly important. I'm convinced that it's the GMO's in grains.

Reactions: Stargazer and Pod
OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
YES! You are so right Moonseal.

Not only do I take care of my internal microbiome, I have also started to take care of my external microbiome, I shower less.

I used to scrub myself daily with soap and rough sponges, maybe a sense of washing off some emotional pain. Now I try to not wash my body, allowing my microbiomes to flourish on my skin.

It is such an awareness of what I put into my body and onto my body. Shit I had to be 60 before I figured it out!

Moonseal

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
Northern California
Pod, would you talk more about the external biomes?? I always feel guilty if I skip a day of showering....maybe it's instinct that I've been doing it. What is the benefit to the external biomes?

Reactions: June

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I believe the frequency of bathing also includes consideration of climate and diet. In a Texas summer, daily bathing is appreciated by everyone around you. If your diet still includes meat, then frequent bathing is considerate of your co-workers.

At one time, I worked with a man who decided that he was no longer going to use deodorant. If he was in the office all day, then it was ok. If he spent time outdoors in the Texas heat and came back inside, it was not possible to breathe anywhere near him. People would stand in the hall and talk to him from there.

Reactions: Vickie
OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
External microbiomes protect the skin and keep it soft and healthy. The skin is the biggest organ and is bombarded with bad bacteria like MRSA. A balanced microbiome probably prevents eczema and other skin complaints. The skin must work in conjunction with the gut for immunity, and we know now how very important the gut microbiome is to health.

When babies are in the womb they are sterile and collect their microbiome in the birth canal. It is so important that when babies are born by "C" section, they miss out on this and are more likely to develop skin complaints, asthma and allergies.

The whole field of research into microbiomes is fairly new so there is yet much to learn but I am in no doubt that the only people who benefit from all this scrubbing and washing are the companies manufacturing the cleansers.

People in the Amazon have lovely thick clean hair, they only use water.

Linda, in Thailand we used to shower twice a day, partly because of the heat and partly to wash away the sweat so the mosquitoes could not smell us. But we only used water, soap once a day on the undercarriage and armpits.

Here is a new company that is manufacturing microbiome friendly products.
https://shop.motherdirt.com

Reactions: Moonseal

Moonseal

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
Northern California
Pod, that is so interesting. The part about C sections.

It makes me think of Gaia and us. Going through labor...and we are basically microbiomes. Perhaps when we wash ours off, they are experiencing a polar shift. :eek:

Reactions: Pod
OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Pod, that is so interesting. The part about C sections.

It makes me think of Gaia and us. Going through labor...and we are basically microbiomes. Perhaps when we wash ours off, they are experiencing a polar shift. :eek:
How about this then for interesting. We are only about 1% human, the rest of us is composed of bacteria and viruses. Yeah. What are we really?

Reactions: Moonseal
OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
A Petri dish. I AM a Petri dish.
"Consider this staggering statistic: our bodies are comprised of ten times more microbial cells than our own human cells. What’s more, in terms of genes, there are approximately 100 times more bacterial genes playing a role in your life than there are human genes. As biologist Bonnie Bassler likes to say, “At best you’re 10% human, more likely about 1% human, depending on which of these metrics you like. I know you think of yourself as human beings, but I think of you as 90% or 99% bacterial.”

This microbiome, which consists primarily of bacteria but also some viruses and fungi, is a set of microbial communities that co-evolved with us and we with them. It has become part of the natural human landscape. “It is an extension of self,” says microbiologist David Relman. Its importance to our health cannot be overstated."

https://www.caseyresearch.com/articles/you-are-among-the-1-only-1-human-that-is

OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Wow. That's incredible. We are basically a confederation....a community...of other species?
Our bodies are yes.

I remember in the Pacific (I spent the first 14 years of life there) that mothers and grandmothers would chew the babies food for then. That is a great way to make sure your baby has the right microbiomes and gut flora.

Moonseal

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
Northern California
I had a microbiome kit done. I did not pay much attention to the skin portion. I was more interested in the gut biome. They don't have much info yet about it (still harvesting from people like myself, I suppose), but what I did learn was extremely enlightening. I changed my diet a bit to see if it impacted the biomes. It did not. I have no idea what that means.

OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
I changed my diet a bit to see if it impacted the biomes. It did not. I have no idea what that means.

Your diet is just fine???????

Here is an interesting article that once again focuses oh the importance of healthy biomes in the gut and how easily they are damaged:

Common food additive promotes colon cancer in mice
Date:
November 7, 2016
Source:
Georgia State University
Summary:
Emulsifiers, which are added to most processed foods to aid texture and extend shelf life, can alter intestinal bacteria in a manner that promotes intestinal inflammation and colorectal cancer, according to a new study.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161107110639.htm#

Moonseal

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
Northern California
That might explain the increase in gut diseases: leaky gut, Chron's disease, etc. There are so many things we don't even know about.

When I was doing a parasite cleanse, I found out about wood alcohol, which is used to clean bottling containers....even during the bottling of water:

http://www.kingsmountainfarmllc.org/allergies/parasites-the-unwanted-guests/

And from another article:

<<In addition it has been shown that the accumulation of wood alcohol (methanol) in the pancreas provides a good breeding ground for the pancreatic fluke. Surprisingly methanol is found in many popular foods, either through packaging or preparation, including bottled water, soda pop and even baby formula! By killing this parasite with the proper remedy and removing the wood alcohol both from the diet and from the body, the need for insulin can be cut in half in three weeks or sooner!>>

Reactions: June and Pod
OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
When I was doing a parasite cleanse, I found out about wood alcohol, which is used to clean bottling containers....even during the bottling of water:
Bloody hell..........it never ends does it?

Reactions: June

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I like to shower everyday. It refreshes me and I like feeling clean.

Reactions: Moonseal and Pod

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)