On my way to Veganism: Self-Tracking Thread (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
I've decided I want to try being a vegan for 30 days. As I make the transition to changing my eating habits, Anaeika 's 30 day self healing thread gave me the idea to make a thread to track my own progress. So, thank you Anaeika for inspiring me. You all are welcome to just read my progress, or ignore it lol. I welcome ideas, advice, comments, support, or any other input.

I am doing this for several reasons. First, I know I want to shift to a mainly plant-based diet for the long-term. I am not sure if vegetarianism or veganism is best for me. I would like to just say I am going vegan for the rest of my life, but I know that is setting the bar high for an immediate change. I talked to my sister-in-law who is a vegan and she said the best way to start is to lean into it. Second reason and the main one is my spirit guides have guided me to at least become a vegetarian for a few years now. I avoided it. I came up with excuses. This year I have been facing a lot of the things I buried or avoided before. I think that is why I am changing at a rapid rate now and feel ready to change what I eat. I want to eat plants, not animals anymore. It resonates with my strongly now. The third reason is for my health. I have seen the research and statistics that a plant-based diet can lead to lower bad cholesterol, lower blood pressure, weight loss, getting sick less often, among other health benefits. Fourth, I have noticed lately that after I eat a lot of meat I feel heavy and ill. Moderate to large amounts of dairy have always made me feel ill too. I have had short bouts where I ate mainly plant-based foods and eggs. I felt a lot better when I did. I had more energy, my mood was better, and I was able to connect to spirit more fluidly and easily.

It just feels right for me now and it is the right time. Things are falling into place for me now that I am heeding my guides' advice. Yesterday was my first day with no meat. It was my first vegetarian day. The only things that made it not a vegan day for me was the "dairy derivitive" in my coffee creamer and egg in the coleslaw dressing I used. I still have over half a bottle of coffee creamer left and I don't like wasting food. So, I am going to finish the coffee creamer before I switch to a vegan substitute for my coffee. Sometimes I do drink coffee black, but I prefer it slightly sweet and creamy. It is a treat for me. I do get coffee from Starbucks with just coconut milk sometimes. So, first I am going to try coconut milk and agave nectar when my creamer runs out. I plan on trying the Silk coffee creamer or almond milk also. I really love eggs, so I will miss them.

The purpose of this thread for me is for it to act as a journal so that I can track my progress, hold myself accountable, and monitor how I feel and other changes over the 30 days. I plan on reviewing it at the end of the 30 days to help me decide if veganism is for me for a life-long change or if vegetarianism would work better for me.

Thank you for letting me use this safe and high-vibration space. I am so grateful!

Day 1/30 Vegetarian
Day 0/30 Vegan

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Good job! This is a good place to track your progress. I like how you made this into a personal scientific project.

A tip for coffee is to put in Silk’s chocolate almond milk. It is a bit sweet so you do not have to add anything else. It makes coffee taste like mocha and it is creamy.

Reactions: Lila and Bear_Raven
OP
Bear_Raven

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Good job! This is a good place to track your progress. I like how you made this into a personal scientific project.

A tip for coffee is to put in Silk’s chocolate almond milk. It is a bit sweet so you do not have to add anything else. It makes coffee taste like mocha and it is creamy.
Thank you so much Anaeika! Ooooooo I do love me some chocolate and mocha is one of my favorites! Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to try it! Today has been a great success. My breakfast was a bowl of steamed brussel sprouts, one half an ear of corn on the cob just with salt and pepper. I had a snack of corn chips and salsa. Then for dinner I had lentils cooked with peppers and onions and I added Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce and Siracha. It was super yummy! I had my regular creamer this morning so it was a vegetarian day. The vegans days won't start until after my creamer runs out. I also really love seafood so even if I go full vegan, I think I will let myself have seafood occasionally.

I'd also like to note my body seems to be going through a detoxing stage right now. Other than that I felt pretty great today. I like not feeling sleepy or heavy after a meal. That is a nice feeling.

Day 2/30 Vegetarian

Reactions: Lila and Glenda Ann

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Ohhhhh! Have you tried Beyond Meat meat crumbles. They do not use soy and it is made from pea protein. Very tasty with a good texture.

Glenda Ann

Rambling Companion
May 1, 2018
Blenheim, New Zealand
Thank you so much Anaeika! Ooooooo I do love me some chocolate and mocha is one of my favorites! Thanks for the tip! I can't wait to try it! Today has been a great success. My breakfast was a bowl of steamed brussel sprouts, one half an ear of corn on the cob just with salt and pepper. I had a snack of corn chips and salsa. Then for dinner I had lentils cooked with peppers and onions and I added Soy Vay Teriyaki sauce and Siracha. It was super yummy! I had my regular creamer this morning so it was a vegetarian day. The vegans days won't start until after my creamer runs out. I also really love seafood so even if I go full vegan, I think I will let myself have seafood occasionally.

I'd also like to note my body seems to be going through a detoxing stage right now. Other than that I felt pretty great today. I like not feeling sleepy or heavy after a meal. That is a nice feeling.

Day 2/30 Vegetarian
What a beautiful yummy start to you journey! Very inspiring and I for one would love to hear what foods work for you in your transition -and what hasn't worked so well Also very wise to ease into it as it's a big change, mentally, energetically and physically ...and to use up what you have. Great plan. Mother Earth will appreciate that <3

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Another reason to try vegetarianism (I don't go as far as vegan) is that it lightens your load so your psychic abilities flourish more. It sensitises you. I don't think meat is always the culprit at desensitising - it can be the stodge. I managed to be a vegetarian for 18 years and still ate too much stodge (carbohydrates without meat giving it flavour!) I got back to eating meat 17 years ago on the doc's advice, and I still retain my psychic sensitivity. So if you have it in spades, it might not make any real difference. Just a thought, though.

OP
Bear_Raven

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Another reason to try vegetarianism (I don't go as far as vegan) is that it lightens your load so your psychic abilities flourish more. It sensitises you. I don't think meat is always the culprit at desensitising - it can be the stodge. I managed to be a vegetarian for 18 years and still ate too much stodge (carbohydrates without meat giving it flavour!) I got back to eating meat 17 years ago on the doc's advice, and I still retain my psychic sensitivity. So if you have it in spades, it might not make any real difference. Just a thought, though.
Thank you Hailstones Melt. I am trying to eat mainly vegetables and fruit. I am trying to avoid grains since I am trying to lose weight. For protein I am eating legumes in moderation because I know they can carry a lot of carbohydrates. I have been eating a few corn tortillas every day since I started. It is hard just to eat fruit and vegetables since I feel hungry in an hour after eating. This is a work in progress for me. Lol. I wouldn't say I am hoping to gain more psychic sensitivity. I am comfortable with my abilities and third eye. It feels more like tuning my body to the same frequency as my soul. My spirit has advanced quite a bit but my body has remained in the same state. At least that is what it feels like to me. The way my guides have explained it to me is I need to do this for my vibration. I feel that they have been cryptic (which guides tend to be lol) and that after I do go through with this change, something will happen or will be revealed to me. It could just be feeling healthier or something more. I try to just trust my guides as much as possible now, especially since I brushed them off in the past because I wasn't ready to face certain things.

Today I was successfully vegetarian again. I still have plenty of creamer and I ate more coleslaw with the dressing with egg in it. My pure vegan diet will probably start next weekend. I do want to note that I feel like crap right now. I ate more than I wanted to for dinner even though it was healthy (couple extra corn tortillas with lentils and hot sauce). Then I had 3 pieces of Lindt Excellence 70% dark chocolate. My mood shifted when I got a grade back in one of my classes. The grade was good but my professor's comments put me off. I think my mood is more due to that and my perfectionism rather than my food intake. However, I want to note it in case the food plays a part.

Day 3/30 Vegetarian

Last edited:
Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
During my 18 years as a vego, I liked combining green or black lentils with wholegrain rice. During that period I was pregnant with my daughter, and I had no problems with iron deficiencies (as some vegetarians may do). I believe it was due to sticking to this complementary protein, which also supplies iron.

OP
Bear_Raven

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
During my 18 years as a vego, I liked combining green or black lentils with wholegrain rice. During that period I was pregnant with my daughter, and I had no problems with iron deficiencies (as some vegetarians may do). I believe it was due to sticking to this complementary protein, which also supplies iron.
I truly love lentils. They are so versatile. I put them in soups, this week I've been making vegan tacos with them. With the right seasoning they almost taste like beef to me. I love how they soak up flavor. The high fiber content is really nice too. I think they are going to be one of my main staples.

OP
Bear_Raven

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Today was another success. However, I think I am addicted to lentil tacos... lol :ROFL::-)):ROFL: I also stayed within my calorie limit. Losing weight has always been difficult for me! Ughh :)|:nailo_OO_o:rolleyes: Also, felt pretty depressed today. I am still fighting it. I went for a walk. I think it helped a little bit. Trying to pull myself out of this funk.

Day 4/30 vegetarian

OP
Bear_Raven

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Stuck to my diet today. Today was also my first vegan day. I don't know if it is related to my diet, but this afternoon I started getting really moody. It continued to just get worse. I am really in a pissy mood now. I exercised today which helped keep me from going into a depressive episode. I don't know why I feel this way. I have no reason to. Things that shouldn't get to me are. My body feels fine other than a strange pain in my finger. I didn't injure it. It just started hurting this morning for no reason and has hurt on and off all day. It feels like I slammed it in a car door. All in all it's been a strange day...

Day 5/30 Vegetarian
Day 1/30 Vegan

Reactions: Lila and Snowmelt
OP
Bear_Raven

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Okay, so I don't know what is going on with me emotionally but I have felt horrible. My husband thinks it's my diet. I think it is planets in retrograde and/or solar flares, something energy wise messing with me. I craved meat today. I wanted a cheeseburger, chicken fingers, sesame chicken, or orange chicken. I was really craving it. I didn't give in, but boy I was close to it. It also occurred to me that last week my doctor took me off of one of my medications I had been taking for over a year. That could also be affecting my body chemistry and/or moods. I'm one of those people that think when I get a craving it is because my body needs something from whatever I am craving (unless it is carbs or sugar because then I think it is because those are addictive). Anyway, I remained vegetarian today but now I am seriously questioning if I will be able or will even want to keep up with this and make it a lifestyle change.

Day 6/30 Vegetarian
Day 1/30 Vegan

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
You have a lot going on with your studies, not to mention the energies. If after quiet reflection you feel that this lifestyle change is not right for you at this time, that is 100% Ok. Different bodies need different food / fuel. There is no one answer that applies to everyone.

I believe (from all my years as a teacher) that you need to start from where people are. In my case, my family eats meat so I buy the best quality chicken and beef and cut the portions in half. I add lots of veggies to round out the meal. I've noticed that we often don't eat all the reduced portions now. (Mushrooms are a great substitute for meat.) No one has complained to my face - lol. The one place where we disagree is with seafood. I will not buy or eat products from the Gulf of Mexico or the North Pacific because of pollution.

OP
Bear_Raven

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
You have a lot going on with your studies, not to mention the energies. If after quiet reflection you feel that this lifestyle change is not right for you at this time, that is 100% Ok. Different bodies need different food / fuel. There is no one answer that applies to everyone.

I believe (from all my years as a teacher) that you need to start from where people are. In my case, my family eats meat so I buy the best quality chicken and beef and cut the portions in half. I add lots of veggies to round out the meal. I've noticed that we often don't eat all the reduced portions now. (Mushrooms are a great substitute for meat.) No one has complained to my face - lol. The one place where we disagree is with seafood. I will not buy or eat products from the Gulf of Mexico or the North Pacific because of pollution.
Thank you Linda. You gave some great advice here. I do want to meditate/reflect on it before I decide. I may go back to what I was doing before and just modify it. I was eating red meat sparingly, only once in a while. I was eating mainly poultry and eggs with no limit on veggies and some fruit. I was eating a lot of dairy too. Maybe I will go back to poultry and eggs but do smaller portions of them and larger portions of veggies. I am going to see how many more days I can go being vegetarian in case the mood swings I have been experiencing were detox related.

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
well for me vegetarian is more the case than vegan, meat makes the same effects, when you read it you take attention from one moment to the next so thx

speaking of beeing hungry after, i don t know how much truth is with it but the speed to eat plays also a role

Last edited:
Reactions: Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
speed to eat plays also a role
I believe you are correct - taking time allows your body to know it has had enough. Also, it seems like you have more of an opportunity to enjoy the food. Usually when I'm eating alone, I don't do that. So thanks for the reminder.

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
Lol the strange example comes. Who doesn t know the films of bethowen. In one of it was an eating contest. The winner was who?

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I do eat meat, but ideally I eat it sparingly. I have a lot of food allergies, and sometimes I just get so down that some chicken is a very simple thing for me to eat to keep from going down with headaches or sadness. I also try to eat with thanks.

But I try to incorporate as many good vegetarian and vegan recipes as I can. And always if they are vegetable central, like Linda said. Having a set of recipes on hand makes it easier to incorporate the lifestyle without going whole hog and feeling overwhelmed. Plus you can check them out and see how you feel with them. I am allergic to a lot of very common ingredients in the vegan diet, but I've used a lot of their techniques to adjust other recipes. (For example, using a flax egg instead of a regular one. Or using nut cheeses instead of animal cheese.)

When I first started adjusting my diet though, I did it little by little. I traded out regular milk for alternatives (I use coconut milk primarily.) Try to see if I can replace little bits here and there. Maybe a cauliflower Alfredo sauce in a pot pie so it doesn't use cheese. Etc.

I don't have a perfect diet, and again like Linda said, we are all differently composed and feel good with different things. But sometimes I notice I feel pretty terrible if I don't have enough calories, (something I often forget about when I have a particularly heavy vegetable day with little grains or nuts,) or if I'm not getting enough sugar (something that shouldn't be feared and is super important for our bodies to deal with stress... Just make sure it's from a good source, like whole fruit) or fat (which I also commonly miss). Very seldom is it about lack of protein for me. I know you mentioned it potentially being detox symptoms, and if you're filling a good balance of dietary needs, then that's fine. But I know I've had to learn a ton to make sure my body is hitting requirements when I switched my diet around and continue to adapt.

But this is good. Knowledge and information about what we put in our bodies is always forward progress!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I'm very late to this party. Perhaps my 2c will be worth something to someone anyway.

Bear_Raven I found myself rooting for you, reading your posts, as you tried something different that wasn't easy. You also provided a space for people to share their ideas and thoughts of diets, plus it seems you got a lot of information on how your body and mind fared with this particular diet.
I have found when trying to eat vegetarian that I love the fruits + veggies and that I find it relatively difficult to feel full. Being mindful of adding good fats (avocados, creamy veggie sauces, humous, nut butters, etc) is a must for me to even consider getting through my day on such a diet. Also, being mindful of eating in such a way as to have all the amino acids available so that you can continue to make proteins unhindered. Again, if I don't do this within a single meal I find myself feeling hungry. I find the habits of ancient cultures where vegetarianism has been around for millenia (such as some from India) critical in this respect. For example, having beans with rice fulfills the protein requirement where having salad with rice would not, I believe. I think I could survive quite happily on a diet consisting of mostly dahl (lentils cooked with various veggies and most often served with rice). Makes me wonder what associations I have with lentils as a staple in past lives:D

I found an article that I like on the subject: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/nutrition/article/vegetarian-safe-way

This article goes over types of vegetarianism and a bit of background as well as both reasons for eating vegetarian and pitfalls (getting enough B12, Zn, omega 3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, etc). Also, I like that the pitfalls are addressed with practical solutions and a balanced attitude. For example, the author points out that if you get all of your amino acids within the course of your day you are probably getting your complete proteins. Doesn't work for me as I feel hungry without the complete proteins in every meal. Still helpful to consider as not everyone reacts the same way.
All of these issues seem much easier to address when on a vegetarian or pescatarian diet than a vegan one, which may be why many people start easy, allowing themselves to continue with eggs, dairy, fish, or some of these for a while. Then, if these additional foods are taken out at a later time you have more information on how you feel without these specifically.

Another issue that is addressed in this next article is the detox phenomenon you mention: https://www.bookdetoxretreats.com/news/vegan-diet-effects

The author talks about these symptoms lasting from days to weeks (depending on the person) and leave one feeling 'cleaner and leaner' afterward with everything from better skin to better sex. This can happen on any diet, since burning through your fat stores (ie losing weight) means that whatever was stored in that fat is released at the same time, including any fat solubles a body may find tough to deal with. She is also balanced enough to point out that if it doesn't go away after a week or two, that other factors may be involved (e.g. enough calories? allergens? hormones?) and advises checking in with your doctor.
I like her conclusion that it can be easiest to make this kind of change in steps such as gradually decreasing meat intake in stages or going from vegetarian to vegan in separate steps or Linda's crowd pleasing way of keeping the meat but sourcing it with care while decreasing its proportion + increasing the plant based foods.

Another approach some friends have taken is to address health issues with a periodic fast which is another approach that has historic roots. Many cultures have fast days incorporated into the calendar. This always struck me as having health goals as well as social ones.

Reactions: Snowmelt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)