Music Remakes (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

One65

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Canada
Puckerstguy, Sinera, and I were discussing music offline and decided to see if the rest of you wanted to join in. One of the topics is "remakes of songs". I would like to present this one first.

One of my favorite artists from the 80's. Kate Bush:

Kate Bush - Cloudbusting

My favorite Canadian artist, Matthew Good:

Matthew Good Cloudbusting

He is such an activist. I can't believe he didn't do Army Dreamers. Love his version of Cloudbusting anyway.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Laron

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Somewhere Over the Rainbow - Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole

Angel From Montgomery - Bonnie Rait

I remember when this one first came out because it was such a shock. It was foretelling, as he and his wife both passed on soon after.
Hurt - Johnny Cash

• Compassionate
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and One65

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
Germany
astral-blog.weebly.com
One of my favorite artists from the 80's. Kate Bush:

Kate Bush - Cloudbusting

My favorite Canadian artist, Matthew Good:

Matthew Good Cloudbusting

He is such an activist. I can't believe he didn't do Army Dreamers. Love his version of Cloudbusting anyway.
I love Kate Bush, especially that album it was from. I also always loved that video. Did not know this cover and it is really good. Like the stronger piano play focus on that one. Good voices too. Sometimes this guy sounds a bit like Michael Stipe, one of my favourite singers.

Just some more suggestions to all here who participate, which I also had done on our pm discussions since this thread was my idea:

If possible and okay please do it in a way that you also always post the originals, not just the covers, and vice versa. It is good especially for people that do not know the other version. And for a comparison discussion because this is what this thread was intended to be about (I wanted to call it 'Original vs. Cover song' to make this more clear).

Also One65 is it possible to embed the video instead of a link? (It's easy here, just paste the youtube-link, that's all.).

Also it would be cool to only post about one song (with two vids: original and cover). The reason is really that (as it is with the other thread) we really wanted to talk/discuss and appreciate the song(versions) and maybe 'argue' (a bit) which version is best or alternatively what we LIKE (positivity intended also here) about this and then that version. It is not that easy if we only post our list of fav songs without comparison in one post. So that's why. Thanks.
:cool:

Now on topic: I love it when covers are genre-crossing/hopping/changing in a way. I have a lot of ideas for examples for that.

I'll start with a classic cover though. One of the or maybe THE most 're-defining' was certainly All Along The Watchtower from Dylan played by Hendrix.

Original:

Cover:

My take: I was not so familiar with Dylan's original version I admit as only now I heard it in full for the first time, so this is also about learning new (old) stuff for me. I like the harp solo and it has its' charm. But of course I'd root for the legendary Hendrix version any time.

So there goes my vote.

• Divine
Reactions: Lila

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
Germany
astral-blog.weebly.com
I remember when this one first came out because it was such a shock. It was foretelling, as he and his wife both passed on soon after.
Hurt - Johnny Cash
I post the original too as intended procedure for this thread.

I would have also suggested these two for certain. I like both versions and cannot decide which is better.
<:)

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
My take: I was not so familiar with Dylan's original version I admit as only now I heard it in full for the first time, so this is also about learning new (old) stuff for me. I like the harp solo and it has its' charm. But of course I'd root for the legendary Hendrix version any time.

So there goes my vote.
Yes, that is another surprise cover. It is hard to imagine anyone except Jimi performing it.

Interesting side bit of info - I saw him perform it - seats close to the stage. Even as a teenager, I knew he was not from here.

• Magical
Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Perfect. I just stumbled upon a cover that made me laugh out loud and wanted to share it.

I love the juxtaposition of one music + cultural genre upon the other and all the little details thrown in. Great interplay between the two performers; they could have called it 'dueling cellos'. Tremendous performance!

2 cellos cover:

This cover is hard metal by AC/DC on cellos; costumes and all :)) They have actors in costume in the audience, too, to spice up the fun.
Also, I am guessing that the 2 cellists commissioned extra thick bowstrings for this and still they could have used new bows after only a few tens of seconds.

Original: (you may need to dial the volume down, lol)

Last edited:
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Bert

Sinera

RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
Germany
astral-blog.weebly.com
Perfect. I just stumbled upon a cover that made me laugh out loud and wanted to share it.

I love the juxtaposition of one music + cultural genre upon the other and all the little details thrown in. Great interplay between the two performers; they could have called it 'dueling cellos'. Tremendous performance!

2 cellos cover:

This cover is hard metal by AC/DC on cellos; costumes and all :)) They have actors in costume in the audience, too, to spice up the fun.
Also, I am guessing that the 2 cellists commissioned extra thick bowstrings for this and still they could have used new bows after only a few tens of seconds.

Original: (you may need to dial the volume down, lol)
Haha, yeah, this really also made me laugh.

Wonder what would have been the audience reaction if back then about 250 years ago they REALLY had done such a 'modern' performance in the concert hall. But who knows? We were not there then (well, at least not in this life or body).

:grn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)