Movies for Free (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Several film festivals were cancelled, including the one for SXSW. However, many of the groups are making the films available for free. As some are using the Amazon platform, it may be possible to see them outside the US, but I'm not sure. The links to the individual sites are in the text below.

Amazon Prime Video will be hosting some of the movies that never got screen time at this year's canceled SXSW Film Festival. Amazon and SXSW announced today that the online film festival will be free to all audiences for 10 days — but you will need an Amazon account.
According to the statement, the slate of films offered will depend on which filmmakers choose to opt in to the festival. "Filmmakers who choose to participate will receive a screening fee for streaming their film over the 10-day period ... SXSW has shared details on the opportunity with 2020 filmmakers, who can opt in starting today."
SXSW joins a number of canceled and delayed film festivals going the online route: the Tribeca Film Festival has been posting a short film every day, the Greenwich International Film Festival will be bringing its May festival online, and the Washington, D.C., Environmental Film Festival has posted a number of this year's movies, along with an archive going back to 1990. And the film distributor Kino Lorber has begun working with independent and art house theaters across the country to "screen" current independent releases, starting with the acclaimed Brazilian movie Bacurau.
No date has been announced for the Amazon Prime SXSW Film Festival, though the companies are shooting for an April launch.
https://www.kut.org/post/sxsw-film-festival-heads-amazon?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=18a4296e35-WWWT_0118_pm_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5f67ac3218-18a4296e35-190177569

Also, two of our local movie houses are offering their first-run movies for $12 for 72 hours. It is a good way to support a local business. In this case, you can watch on your computer or an Apple or Chromecast TV. Although we don't have those kinds of televisions, I can hook up my computer to the tv and be able to watch it.

• Informative
  • Cool Post
Reactions: Lila and Laron

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Also, two of our local movie houses are offering their first-run movies for $12 for 72 hours.
Is that US dollars, Canadian dollars, Australian dollars, Belize dollars, or something else? For USD that's a bit high, our movies are $9 usd normal price.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Is that US dollars, Canadian dollars, Australian dollars, Belize dollars, or something else?
You might use the clue in the first paragraph or the flag next to my avatar.

For USD that's a bit high, our movies are $9 usd normal price.
If your regular price is $9, then 2 people would be $18, and so on
versus
however many in your house for as many viewings as you want over 3 days for $12.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I may try this if our teenager runs into a movie we really want to watch and she can't find online.
Like so many of her generation, she has a knack with these things that feels to me like 'magic'. Of course I do things that she sees as magic so, in a way, we're demonstrating to each other what magic is :))

Reactions: Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)