Maybe education is changing, too (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
There is a news article on Zero Hedge about the largest education company (Pearson) having serious economic issues.

Part of the decline is attributed to the move toward more digital materials, as well as an overall decline in the adult market. It could be the result of people not having the funds to pursue additional education. However, I wonder if people are rejecting mainstream higher education? The article does not delve into this side of the story, but I think it is an interesting question. Are people ditching status quo education, too?

Despite record amount of student loans in the US, fewer older students are enrolling, community college admissions also are dropping, and more students are renting textbooks.

“The North American higher-education courseware market essentially collapsed in the critical fourth-quarter back-to-school season.”

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-01-18/worlds-largest-education-company-crashes-after-dire-warning-warns-unprecedented-busi

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
You could be right Linda. I have encountered many high degree professionals put into management positions right out of the university without any real experience. Result, great failures all around. Maybe companies are realizing that having a high degree does not mean success unless experience is included. In the meantime it is very difficult to find quality skilled labor force in some trade and technical areas.

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
You make a good point, Carl. A lot of degrees are about managing business and not about actually creating a product or service. I'm going to watch and observe the education system some more. Perhaps a new trend is starting, and more people are working on actual products. I have noticed that the numbers of small start-up businesses have increased.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)