If I slice tomato, is there a chance an atom will be split and cause an explosion? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Found this on Board Panda and went to the original source on Quora.

I actually appreciate this question because it shows a great deal of thinking about the atomic processes involved in creating an explosion. I run into these kinds of interesting questions and observations in my work with children. When showing a group the hen house with a solar operated door, one child asked what happens during an eclipse. Uhhh - had not thought about that. Another time a child asked what avoid meant (as in avoid the ant hill). I explained, and he came back with so "we should avoid hot lava, right". Yes, absolutely.

The answer is impressive to me because the question covers all the what ifs you might expect from someone just learning about this subject. I think it also shows great flexibility in thinking.

Screen Shot 2019-12-15 at 9.03.58 PM.png

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
Found this on Board Panda and went to the original source on Quora.

I actually appreciate this question because it shows a great deal of thinking about the atomic processes involved in creating an explosion. I run into these kinds of interesting questions and observations in my work with children. When showing a group the hen house with a solar operated door, one child asked what happens during an eclipse. Uhhh - had not thought about that. Another time a child asked what avoid meant (as in avoid the ant hill). I explained, and he came back with so "we should avoid hot lava, right". Yes, absolutely.

The answer is impressive to me because the question covers all the what ifs you might expect from someone just learning about this subject. I think it also shows great flexibility in thinking.

View attachment 8526
I love some of the stuff kids come out with, can really keep you on your toes with their questions and theories.

Reactions: Alain and Linda

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Now I'm actually worried about what damage my teeth will do to my food!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)