I stepped into the world of online grocery shopping (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I never imagined that I would be doing this, but I'm now an online grocery shopper. It was getting difficult to leave Pepper during the day, and I was tired of going to the store at night after my husband got home. Although I was aware of the service, I had not given it much thought until my daughter mentioned it. She said one of her friends has been using the service and is very happy with it.

So, my search began. Some locations of our local grocery store offer online shopping with curbside pick-up, but not ours. However, our store partners with Instacart, which shops and delivers the groceries to your home for a reasonable fee. ........and so I stepped into the world of online grocery shopping. o_Os

The website has the items grouped into departments just like the store. There are pictures of the items with the price. What about produce, you may ask? Well, no problems there, and I am very picky. The way this system works is that one person shops and another delivers. I've seen them in the store before with a bunch of bags in their carts. They've gotten exactly what I ordered. The delivery people are very nice and bring the bags into the kitchen. They've all passed the Pepper (our dog) test.

The costs break down like this - $4 delivery, 10% of total bill, and optional tip. The groceries come in recyclable bags, and I return the ones from my previous order to be used again. Given the time it takes me to shop (it is a big store), loading bags into the car, and unloading them at home, spending $15 is well worth it. I've noticed that the grocery bill is lower because I don't get extras, and the downsides I see are that I may not notice new products or see the complete list of ingredients.

Overall, it is a great experience, making things much, much easier for me.

Lai Jumoke

Involved Wayfarer
Retired Moderator
Welcome to my world. I have bought products online but NEVER groceries. Well, I just did it last weekend in Davis . I was nervous about my first delivery. I ordered onions, garlic, tomato pastes, some poultry and some vegetables. I was surprised to see that the meat was extremely fresh and good. While there are lots of benefits of doing your grocery in person, I will focus on the benefits that I found:
1. I do not have to see all the unhealthy people buying all the unhealthy food
2. I do not have to see angry mums shouting at their kids
3. I do not have to see angry mums feeding soda to their kids while shopping :)

Sending beautiful wishes to Pepper!

severed.lies

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 27, 2016
Pacific NW
After not being able to drive after an accident, I was happy that I could depend on my local grocery delivery service. I now only use it to order heavy things like 20 pound containers of cat litter and canned goods. It's not fun to maneuver the heavy things with a walker!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)