How to explain death to young children (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I don't recall going through this experience when my daughter was young, so I am turning to you all for some help.

The 3-year-old next door has been asking where Chance is. Chance was one of our dogs who passed away earlier this year. He was quite a memorable dog - life of the party - but people were not afraid of him even though he was a large dog.

Do any of you have thoughts on ways to explain why Chance is gone to a 3-year-old?

Solnarehyah

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 3, 2016
Morton, Pennsylvania
I usually explain my kids the truth. He lived a happy & healthy life now he has moved on to new experiences. When they ask more I just talk more about spirit and god and different lives. But these are my children, I don't know how the parents of another child would feel about it so maybe talking to child's mother to see if she has any objections.
A simple explanation some people I know use is he's an angel now and watching over us. Hope that helps. Children really do understand a lot, they appreciate truth even when we are scared of that.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Chance is playing in a different universe with his dog-kind. You could also look up into the sky and help the child to search for the Canis constellation.

Golmona

Retired Moderator
Aug 2, 2016
Amsterdam
My approach would be similar to Pooja's. I find it amazing how much my 10 month old baby understands already. I think children can be talked to about everything as long as it's done calmly and respectfully. They're so intuitive and understand when one is speaking their truth

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Do any of you have thoughts on ways to explain why Chance is gone to a 3-year-old?
I think that this is a good topic in general to keep a collection of thoughts on, so perhaps we could pin this one, or another, at some stage based on the original question, "How to explain death to young children?"

For me it would depend on the age, as my response—while the same— would use words based on what I think my child could understand. I would be completely honest to how things actually are, in terms of their individual energy and consciousness returning back above to the next level, but I would likely limit my response and not expand beyond that level in terms of higher self and source unless they asked. It can be a lot to take in to understand that, even though children are so very open energetically and mentally speaking.

I would be very clear that death is not an end, but simply a process within a long journey that takes place for a larger part of us. I would also explain that we can all meet up again if we wish to, after being here, so there is no ending in the sense of forever being separated.

I think that in some instances, if the child was at the school age and was attending a public school, this could cause issues if they beliefs were spread around, so this is why it's important to have the child in the right environment, and with the appropriate friends, to support their understandings.

It would also be important for me to explain that we need to be careful with belief, and to remain open and base our experiences on what we go through directly, and how we can connect into the reality of what and how things are, based on a connection back to where we come from. As a child that connection may already be there until they get older, but if encouraged they can maintain that connection, especially if they are brought up in a healthy and balanced environment.

I could say a lot about this but those are the first things that come to me.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I think that this is a good topic in general to keep a collection of thoughts on, so perhaps we could pin this one, or another, at some stage based on the original question, "How to explain death to young children?"

For me it would depend on the age, as my response—while the same— would use words based on what I think my child could understand. I would be completely honest to how things actually are, in terms of their individual energy and consciousness returning back above to the next level, but I would likely limit my response and not expand beyond that level in terms of higher self and source unless they asked. It can be a lot to take in to understand that, even though children are so very open energetically and mentally speaking.

I would be very clear that death is not an end, but simply a process within a long journey that takes place for a larger part of us. I would also explain that we can all meet up again if we wish to, after being here, so there is no ending in the sense of forever being separated.

I think that in some instances, if the child was at the school age and was attending a public school, this could cause issues if they beliefs were spread around, so this is why it's important to have the child in the right environment, and with the appropriate friends, to support their understandings.

It would also be important for me to explain that we need to be careful with belief, and to remain open and base our experiences on what we go through directly, and how we can connect into the reality of what and how things are, based on a connection back to where we come from. As a child that connection may already be there until they get older, but if encouraged they can maintain that connection, especially if they are brought up in a healthy and balanced environment.

I could say a lot about this but those are the first things that come to me.
I completely agree. I actually Just had this conversation with my son. About a week ago. He's going to be 4 in may, and suddenly had a fear of death.
This is now i went about it. That it is a natural process here. Part of a cycle, but that his soul doesn't die. Etc etc.
I used terms i knew he would grasp. And i tend to find phrases that are easily digestible for me (and him) to repeat to himself.

It is possible, your Neighbor child is not at the point of really grasping "death" yet. Felix was perfectly fine hearing simple explanations about death before this. He had been to a funeral, even. But there is a point where it hits them. I've heard it's common between 4 and 8. (I think it was 8.)

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
I would like to add something for those who are older and fear death. I am sorry I don't remember the source, but it was one of those that I trust, and it said that birth can be more traumatic than natural death :)
I've read from quite a few sources--and this really resonates with me, that in many cases of traumatic death, consciousness actually leaves the body before the trauma even registers. Many times, the physical reactions we may see to the trauma or pain are supposed to be merely those of the physical body reacting unconsciously to it (autonomic nervous system, etc.).

If one ascribes to the belief of reincarnation, it's easy to understand that we've all died before--many times and in many ways. It makes sense to me that the means of death may not be all that important to the experience of the soul unless it is part of a karmic contract of some kind.

Out of Time

Roaming Contributor
Sep 5, 2016
Stargazer , it is actually the first time I read that. I think that the Pleiadians have a techniques to help a close member of theirs leave the body when it is clear fatal damage has been taken, which is very awesome and loving. And if a person can do it all by themselves, that would be even better.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Stargazer , it is actually the first time I read that. I think that the Pleiadians have a techniques to help a close member of theirs leave the body when it is clear fatal damage has been taken, which is very awesome and loving. And if a person can do it all by themselves, that would be even better.
Agreed...and, in any case, whatever pain that is felt is only temporary (like THAT really helps :rolleyes:).

Another observation that many NDE'rs (Near Death Experiencers) have made is that any pain felt (and it can certainly be severe) is actually well worth the feelings of Love, Bliss, and Peacefulness that they feel once they've left their bodies. It's like the pain is completely forgotten once the transition has been made. I realize that doesn't help much during the actual painful experience, but at least the knowledge may give us "mortals" some comfort before and perhaps even during such events.

<:)

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
This is now i went about it. That it is a natural process here. Part of a cycle, but that his soul doesn't die. Etc etc.
I used terms i knew he would grasp. And i tend to find phrases that are easily digestible for me (and him) to repeat to himself.
All the comments have been very helpful. I think the idea that Chance's soul or spirit is running and playing with his dog friends in heaven will work for us because this little boy tends to be fearful of new things.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
that in many cases of traumatic death, consciousness actually leaves the body
There was a horrific car accident that took the lives of 4 young men, and it shook me up because it happened in a place that I frequent, so I could picture the whole thing. Then I was shown in a vision that their spirits left their bodies before the fiery conclusion.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
My own child had open psychic receptors which in an enlightened world would be considered normal, but in the day and age we live in, let's call it "gifted". At the age of 2 she told us she played with a dog in our lovely yard with lots of trees in it. Synchronicity assisted by having someone at our house on that day, who recalled the previous resident and their dog, who had died (not sure if buried there). I'm not sure what my husband believed, but I knew she played with "ghost dog".

She also saw the ghost of a woman who regularly visited the house (she was the original purchaser of the property) and used to look at my daughter from the end of her bed.

I think very young children are much more open to understanding spirits and perhaps the concept of souls/etheric lands, but commonly shut down their receptors due to social and parental pressures by about age 7 or 8. Unfortunately, this process of shutting down we call "growing up".

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I love to ask questions, like "What do you feel happens?" as it can reveal things I'd like to address (like fear of pain with death) and because I just love the answers kids give!
And the conversations that can lead to.
So much better than most 'grown-ups' have!

Really, though, as long as the conversation has been started and is a supportive one, it is pretty hard to go wrong. I've seen these conversations handled so many different ways, with humour, gravity, thoughtfulness, curiosity and, if the conversation centered on the kid's needs, it was all good (as so many things to do with children, lol!):-D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)