Histamine Intolerance and research (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I've dealt with a lot of allergic reactions in the past five years. After I gave birth to my son, it was like my entire body rejected health and wellness and it spiraled out of control until I went to a holistic doctor who helped me through with cleanses, dietary regulation, and understanding the toxicity that my body had taken on. The "cause" at the time was a candida overgrowth which needed reigned in. (It is often seen as the root cause, though candida overgrowth is often in a link with adrenal fatigue, high toxicity, poor immune health, autoimmune disease, among other things. For instance, I had a constant onslaught of ringworm and staph infections that would not go away.) I had recognized small bits and pieces in the little research I could do, (having just given birth and being inundated with extreme postpartum depression and traumas therein linked afterwards), but I just couldn't put all the pieces together.

The diet and cleansing helped get my life back to some semblance of order. It took almost an entire year of complete regimented control, though a lot of the stress triggers were still there and it wasn't until maybe another year and a half to two years after that I felt like I had some control and could relax a little with my diet to actually enjoy all that was happening in my life. Even then, though, I had another year or so of training my body not to literally panic when the slightest rash, redness, swelling or any other reaction happened, because I was so trained that it was an extremely terrible thing and that all the learning I had done really wasn't working.

I've seen a lot of dietary connections. Many of which are the ghostly ones that doctors tend to tell patients that they don't exist. And I've also, thankfully been learning on my own the purposes of many of the vitamins and minerals, the necessities of sugar and fat, and how to really and truly listen to my own body in terms of recognizing the issues that arise. The emotional linkage, and the dietary needs. I won't say it doesn't get frustrating at times though trying to keep a positive face when I have such a long list of allergies to foods, and need to keep a running tab on my diet, all while I just want to really relax, just once with a piece of gluten filled cake.

So a couple days ago when my lips started to swell again, I was able to look at it objectively and assess what was happening, yet again. Heh. I have some homeopathic anti-histamine tablets in my medicine cabinet. After taking some of that, I was able to get down to business.
Luckily, I immediately pieced together what was happening, as it was something I roughly looked into when I marked down my horrible allergic reactions to balsamic vinegar. I've had a bizarre list of foods that I just cannot eat, (barely splurge on). Things like cashews, eggplant, balsamic vinegar, and soy are some of the larger culprits to my throat swelling up. Which, I personally feel is a little more critical than my gut doubling over in pain from some gluten I had too much of. (I know that will pass within half a day, though of course it sucks. Hahah.)

There are a lot of foods that are high in histamine. Generally anything aged, or fermented. (Sauerkraut is considered such, but I can usually handle a little of it. I LOVE sauerkraut. ) Anything pickled or vinegar based, alcohol, a lot of nuts, shellfish, etc. There are also histamine liberators such as most citric fruits, cocoa, tomatoes, etc.
The lists are actually incredibly long and at times confusing and contradictory depending on what website you bring up. Some may say that mackerel is a terrible one, avoid at all costs, and another site will state that it's a great food to help combat it.

There is an enzyme that is super important with breaking down the histamine so our bodies can process it in the appropriate amounts. It is called Diamine Oxidase (or DAO). It is found mainly in our kidneys and thymus. After it breaks down the histamine, it is actually excreted through your kidneys and urine. Some people have a healthy amount of this and never seen any reactions except for maybe a bad hayfever season. Others, this is the main culprit to rashes and swelling throats.
There are, thankfully a lot of vitamins and minerals that we can increase to help with the production of DAO.
A list I found here, includes:
omega 3 fatty acids
saturated fats
phosphorus
calcium
zinc
magnesium
iron
b12

vitamin D is also a great addition to this. I found here the following quote:
"It acts as a fat soluble hormone that facilitates intestinal absorption of calcium, iron, magnesium, and zinc. The latter two are essential components needed by the body to manufacture the histamine degrading enzyme diamine oxidase."

In looking at the lists of food options that are beneficial and seeing the adjacent lists of what is detrimental, it's easy to see the overlap. But I think the overlapping foods are because they are so beneficial in some of the nutrients that can help with DAO production. As a simple example, omega 3 fatty acids are very high in mackerel, but since a lot of the sources of mackerel is canned and therefore aged to a degree, you have higher histamine levels. Fresh fish is apparently a lot lower.

Either way, it's important to remember that there are other options such as herbal tea. A good way to give support to the kidneys while give high nourishing teas to your body would be to look at something like nettle just as one example. Honestly, the herbal tea idea came while I was in the shower, so I haven't had time to really come up with a formula to put into action yet. But there are SO many nutritive herbs that will fulfill this exact need.

I'm able to look back over the past couple years and see the patterns of when I felt worse and when I felt better. For instance, When my husband and I went to Portugal, I can safely say most of the food we ate was not what you would deem "histamine healthy", haha. All the aged meat and cheese. The wine and breads. But I spent a lot of time prior eating very healthy and clean as my body replenished itself from the stress and detoxified, re-elevating the depleted areas I had. Little meat protein, a huge supply of fresh vegetables and lots of tea and water were a normal thing for me. I was also finally at an extremely low stress level and was in such a high point of feeling positive. Stress is a very important trigger which I feel we should not overlook lightly when dealing with our reactions to our world and food.

It is so hard sometimes though. There is a considerable amount of trauma I try to work through daily. Things that will probably be a project for me for the rest of my life. Then there's the onslaught of energetic increases and planetary alignments that bring up old stuff or shitty stuff or all that stuff that we just feel so heavy with. There's the day to day stress that can include a difficult financial period or struggles inter-personally. The political environment and what to believe who said what where. The list could theoretically go on and on. And there are times when depression can crop it's ugly head again and I subsist on baked chicken (because it is insanely easy to throw that in the oven) and corn chips. Every day I try to have my smoothie so that if I hit a wall, I don't go to bed thinking my diet was a complete loss that day because at least I had that one meal with a HUGE amount of liver healthy herbs and fruits and lettuce. You know?

I don't mean for that to sound negative and victim based, I've just come to realize that we really need to be gentle with ourselves. On our priorities and managing our ability to see ourselves, lives, and what we focus on with deliberation and kindness.

Anyway. I know this was a lot of personal story involved in here, but I know that's how we learn. I just felt a desire to expound on what I was looking at today because my time of learning can also be yours. :)

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Bravo! Bravo! I am clapping over this entire article Angela . You have taught me some things about nutrition based on your personal journey. I really hope to read more from you as you have a wealth knowledge on herbs. Geeking out on nutrition and good food is a passion of mine. Thank you so, so, so much! <3

Reactions: Angela

One65

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Canada
A very well written and informative post Angela. Thanks for condensing all that information into a bite-sized summary (pun intended).

I share your throat swelling issue and have terrible hay fever. An excellent homeopathic doctor I know has recommended that most people eat canned fish, citrus fruit, and night-shade plants (tomatoes) in extreme moderation. Zero if you are having issues. It certainly helped me. I will add your list of vitamins and minerals to my list.

Thanks again!

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Oh! Your post is helping others. How wonderful when we share & exchange information! :) <3

Reactions: Angela

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Great info. The big item for me is to take the time to listen to your body.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Angela your story reminds me so much of my own, though with some variations. Thank you for posting such an intimate and informative account.

There are certainly a few specific things there that I'll play with a bit more though your list is very familiar:D as is the experience of thinking one has it all figured out and then being blindsided every once in a while. That too, as you say, can be sorted out with some determination and a lot of 'body listening' which is a skill that is a really big silver lining from such health troubles.

Also, I love how you weave in the emotional aspects of wellness. They are absolutely vital and so often glossed over despite being key aspects of the health puzzle that an empowered person can impact on their own. When the emotional aspects/triggers are addressed a funny thing starts to happen. One becomes able to look a the big picture of diet, lifestyle etc and clearly see connections and patterns. These are relatively easy to impact once they are clearly visible and the whole story changes from 'overwhelm!:eek:' to 'Oh, this is what I need to do. 1. 2. 3....' . Then it's just a matter of doing it.
Amazing things can happen from there. I've seen it again and again.

As you also write, sometimes one is so overwhelmed that a good health coach of some sort, whether it be a holistic doctor or a well informed and very persistent friend or anyone in between,can be the lifeline one needs to get past those initial hurdles. From there, everything gets so much easier:-D and the choices involved simply become the way one lives.

I'm also sure that many will read this and think 'huh' then move on without commenting and being impacted all the same so thanks for taking the time to share. Please do it again!O.o:D (if you are so moved)

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Just caught this thread, and the reference to histamine levels just triggered something in my brain in relation to my daughter's health. Thank you so much for that.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Actually - just had the same experience as HM - this might explain why someone I know has non-stop allergies.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Okay. I've been waiting to update because we were waiting on the new laptop we just got. It's significantly easier to type out a bit of research when I can see all the stuff I'm adding, as well as being able to type rather than swiping each word slowly. Heh.
Now I just need to put together my thoughts. It has to do with mast cell activation disorder. The book I'm reading goes into case studies for a doctor who has recently recognized a very prevalent disorder wherein mast cells are either inappropriately sending out messages, or are outright mutated, thus causing heightened issues within the body. In all the systems, no less. I'm going to have time tomorrow to put together some articles and quotes from the book. But I'm starting to believe pretty solidly that this is what is going on in my body. But I'll get into this tomorrow.

Reactions: Lila

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
What if I told you 95% of American food contains glyphosate? European food is bad too but not quite as bad. Europe has more strict guidelines on chemicals used on food.

But which foods most often contain glyphosate? Wheat, oats, corn, and soy grown in the US. Non-GMO crops are regularly sprayed with Roundup to kill them off at the same time. This increases the harvest weight of the crop. These are in almost all packaged food, especially sweeteners made from corn syrup. Glyphosate gets into every cell of the plant, and cannot be washed off. 600+ studies show toxic effects of glyphosate in a variety of conditions and on a variety of organisms. Here's the 600 study summary called the Glyphosate Monograph: http://tiny.cc/600studies. The studies are organized in a certain way and every study is listed at the end of the paper.

Reactions: Snowmelt and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
What if I told you 95% of American food contains glyphosate? European food is bad too but not quite as bad. Europe has more strict guidelines on chemicals used on food.

But which foods most often contain glyphosate? Wheat, oats, corn, and soy grown in the US. Non-GMO crops are regularly sprayed with Roundup to kill them off at the same time. This increases the harvest weight of the crop. These are in almost all packaged food, especially sweeteners made from corn syrup. Glyphosate gets into every cell of the plant, and cannot be washed off. 600+ studies show toxic effects of glyphosate in a variety of conditions and on a variety of organisms. Here's the 600 study summary called the Glyphosate Monograph: http://tiny.cc/600studies. The studies are organized in a certain way and every study is listed at the end of the paper.
Care to write an article on this?
It sounds like something very important to our health and you sound very well informed!

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've just learned about how leaky gut may bring on histamine production.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Mast cells. They are immune effector and modulatory cells that produce various mediators to help link innate and adaptive immunity to fight against pathogens. [from www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov : The Role of Mast Cells in the Defense against Pathogens]
I'm currently reading through a book called 'Never Bet Against Occam' by Lawrence Afrin, M.D. It discusses how there is a prevalent disorder that, as I said previous, deals with the inappropriate actions and mutations of the mast cells in our bodies.
"Early research on the epidemiology of MCAS is suggesting that as many as 14%-17% of the general population is affected. That's one out of every 6-7 individuals."
The book is in essence a collection of case studies wherein he is making the connection that the multisystem issues his patients are having is due to this one (complex) response. Often it can be traced to childhood, but stresses in life frequently trigger more and more symptoms to arise, which has been the case with me. Food allergies, upper respiratory issues, GI issues, skin, neurological, cardiovascular, all the systems can be affected. I've personally experienced a wide range of things that I never quite recognized were linked until I read this book.

And what really made me think this was what's going on, is that my regiment with my diet seems to fall in line with the suggestions some websites have to help keep this under control. Being low histamine is obviously an enormous part of it. https://www.hoffmancentre.com/12-tips-living-mast-cell-activation-syndrome/

Okay. I feel like I build that up a ton more than necessary. Heheh. I'm now at a loss for what else to add. Though it might be because it's late and I'm tired and had a rough day. But anyway. Yeah. There's this! It really was like a revelation to me when I started linking this for myself!

Reactions: Linda and Lila

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Care to write an article on this?
I wrote a whole blog on this topic for over a year. Here are the articles tagged with "study", but you can go to any tag you want, like "glyphosate", or just read the blog in date order. http://chuckrblog.blogspot.com/search/label/study

My goal was not to repeat "the sky is falling!" like so many websites do, but to find the actual studies, hopefully the whole study which is free to access. The sheer number of studies out there showing poisoned food shocked me. Keep in mind that glyphosate works be getting into every cell of the plant so it cannot be washed off. And Monstanto has been sued several times over this and recently lost a lawsuit where a plaintiff claimed glyphosate causes cancer. (There is some correllation between glyphosate exposure and non-Hodgkins lymphoma, but no other correllation to other cancers.) See the tag "lawsuit": http://chuckrblog.blogspot.com/search/label/lawsuit.

The Glyphosate Monograph with 600 studies is just the starting point, or executive summary of the effects of glyphosate to a variety of organisms in a variety of environments, petri dish, pond, or otherwise. Not only that but glyphosate is suspected in killing off our good gut bacteria, along with a diet high in sugar. See tag "gut": http://chuckrblog.blogspot.com/search/label/gut.

On a PC browser you should see on the right side of the window all the tags.

Last edited:

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I wrote a whole blog on this for over a year. Here are the articles tagged with "study", but you can go to any tag you want, like "glyphosate", or just read the blog in date order. http://chuckrblog.blogspot.com/search/label/study

My goal was not to repeat "the sky is falling!" like so many websites do, but to find the actual studies, hopefully the whole study which is free to access. The sheer number of studies out there showing poisoned food shocked me. Keep in mind that glyphosate works be getting into every cell of the plant so it cannot be washed off. And Monstanto has been sued several times over this and recently lost a lawsuit where a plaintiff claimed glyphosate causes cancer. (There is some correllation between glyphosate exposure and non-Hodgkins lymphoma, but no other correllation to other cancers.) See the tag "lawsuit": http://chuckrblog.blogspot.com/search/label/lawsuit.

The Glyphosate Monograph with 600 studies is just the starting point, or executive summary of the effects of glyphosate to a variety of organisms in a variety of environments, petri dish, pond, or otherwise. Not only that but glyphosate is suspected in killing off our good gut bacteria, along with a diet high in sugar. See tag "gut": http://chuckrblog.blogspot.com/search/label/gut.

On a PC browser you should see on the right side of the window all the tags.
I remember your article! It was great. There is so much on that site that I felt I'd just touched on it then.
Thanks again for the reminder:cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)