Healing help (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Hey guys. I hope everyone is well. I currently am dealing with something I don't even know what.

Over Christmas break my son and I got strep throat. I was healing fine from that but within that healing time, I think I had something that started to give me an allergic reaction. My lips swelled a little, which happens sometimes if I eat or have an allergen. So I used peppermint chap stick to soothe it, only to have them inflame more.
I stopped taking that, but then in a morning I woke up with my lip fully swollen on one side (the whole thing was puffy too though). After talking with a close friend, she suggested it was a cold sore.

So I went out and got some lysine and cold sore cream to put on it. I applied that a bunch. Over night I put some on and a couple hours later, my lips were huge and I was thinking maybe it was the cream that was too strong as well.
So I stopped taking that thinking the swelling will eventually go down with the cold sore.

Fast forward about a week, it wasn't changing so i went to an urgent care because I've begun to panic. She suggested the swelling would go away with the end of the cold sore, which seemed to be a few days away. She recommended taking benadryl, which I've been taking since. But last night, I took one around 3:30 and woke up at 6-7 with my lips fully swollen again. And now I am just in all freak out.

The only thing I can think of is that my lips are just freaked out? And can't stop the histamines? The urgent care doctor said if it didn't help in 3 days to go back and she would give a low dose steroid.
But I'm still thinking, is that just going to help the symptoms? I have no clue what's going on and every morning it's scaring me that this is continuing so long for no fully apparent reason. It's been several weeks of dealing with this.

I could really use any loving energy or wisdom... Any insights anyone may have if they feel into this situation. And thank you guys so much for what you sent before and for the time it took to read this.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Hold on. I've got to find the name of something.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
The swelling happens primarily at night. During the day it goes down. This time though it's as big as it was the initial time it got huge. And it's more on the other side of the lip now.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Waiting for a reply from a friend who got relief from poison ivy with a homeopathic medicine.

Believe me, my friend and I understand the histamine reaction.

Could it be a pillow - washing detergent for linens - something like that. New sensitivities can pop up with things that previously were ok.

A one time steroid shot will bring immediate relief, but as you said, you've got to find the source.

Text came in - research argentum nitricum to see if it seems right for you - also colloidal silver.

My friend is so allergic to poison ivy that even a small exposure brings on a systemic reaction with huge raised welts. These two things really helped to knock it out. She also got a couple of acupuncture treatments.

I am not a physician and am only suggesting you look into these items and see if they seem right for you.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Waiting for a reply from a friend who got relief from poison ivy with a homeopathic medicine.

Believe me, my friend and I understand the histamine reaction.

Could it be a pillow - washing detergent for linens - something like that. New sensitivities can pop up with things that previously were ok.

A one time steroid shot will bring immediate relief, but as you said, you've got to find the source.

Text came in - research argentum nitricum to see if it seems right for you - also colloidal silver.

My friend is so allergic to poison ivy that even a small exposure brings on a systemic reaction with huge raised welts. These two things really helped to knock it out. She also got a couple of acupuncture treatments.

I am not a physician and am only suggesting you look into these items and see if they seem right for you.
Of course, and I will definitely look into them. I've had poison ivy before, back when I lived in Pennsylvania. That was almost 20 years ago and there is none of that here.
I've been washing my pillow case throughout the week because I didn't want anything carrying over from all this. But it's a pretty allergen friendly detergent. Also I would think if it was directly from something like that, I'd have more of a rash. This is very much specifically directly at my lips.

I'm going to look into those things now. Thank you for your information.

Reactions: Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Like you, I can get quite the histamine reaction. I've gotten better about recognizing foods that don't work for me - I just seem to know before I eat.
Here, we are winding down the "cedar fever" season, which is when the red juniper trees shower the air with pollen. It was tough this year. Do you have any winter pollen there?

• Love this post!
Reactions: Angela
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I'm not sure, though it doesn't feel like it's environmental. This isn't a normal reaction for me with that kind of stuff.
Initially, I felt it was because I had some canned sardines. I felt fine to consider it, even though I know it's a high histamine food. But halfway through eating it, I stopped, feeling like it was just not right at that moment. That's what I think started the whole thing. I'm actually usually very good about recognizing food intolerances and reactions because I've been on my toes about it for at least 5 years.
This just seems way more full blown than any normal reaction. For my body, at least.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Well, our bodies are changing with the energies, so reactions may change, as well.

Lila and Maryann may have some more insights, as they have more experience than I do.

You are searching for an answer, and you will find it. You will be Ok.

• Compassionate
Reactions: Angela
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Hah! I was just awarded the cassiterite crystal on here! Seems helpful, actually.

• Love this post!

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Ugh, sorry to hear this! Did you actually have a cold sore or just swelling? Was there a blister, any lymph leaking, pain? On upper or lower lip, or both? I trust homeopathy more than any other kind of medicine. That's why I'm asking, as details like that guide to the right remedy. Since you mention histamines, I'm thinking Apis might be one to do the job. It covers swelling of lips that's worse after lying down, worse after sleep, worse from touch, pressure, or warmth (do those match too?). Any other symptoms you are noticing would be helpful to note, as even seemingly unrelated things guide to the right remedy. In fact, an odd detail can actually make the decision.

• Thank you!
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Linda and Angela
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Ugh, sorry to hear this! Did you actually have a cold sore or just swelling? Was there a blister, any lymph leaking, pain? On upper or lower lip, or both? I trust homeopathy more than any other kind of medicine. That's why I'm asking, as details like that guide to the right remedy. Since you mention histamines, I'm thinking Apis might be one to do the job. It covers swelling of lips that's worse after lying down, worse after sleep, worse from touch, pressure, or warmth (do those match too?). Any other symptoms you are noticing would be helpful to note, as even seemingly unrelated things guide to the right remedy. In fact, an odd detail can actually make the decision.
To my knowledge, I've never had a cold sore, and I've been told that the first one is worst.
I never actually had a blister come to a head, but I did have an outbreak a few days ago on the edge of my lips that seems like a cold sore. Little red bumps. My lip was all swollen, particularly on the lower lip. A week and a half ago there was a more swelling on the right side of my lower lip. And this morning I woke up with more swelling on the left side of my lower lip.

I was taking a homeopathic anti histamine but ran out and the store didn't have them in stock. That was a couple days ago, when I decided to start taking benadryl. Since it wasn't fully getting the swelling to go away.

It is absolutely worse after laying down (it primarily gets huge and swollen after I sleep at night, waking me up around 3-4 then 6-7 because of the pressure. (When I woke up at 3-4, I took some more benadryl because I could tell it was starting to inflame, but this morning I woke up with it worse!) Warm ginger/turmeric tea seems to help it, but I had suspicions that getting too warm in bed at night makes it worse. I get cold though and then I feel like my throat is getting a cold or something, so I put blankets back on me.

There was a day or two where a couple sections of my lower lip felt wet even though there was no liquid coming out. I thought maybe that was how the potential cold sore was displaying itself? But I don't know. It went away after maybe the second day.

My eyes haven't had any issues with swelling, though they've been frequently feeling like there's salt in them? That slight burning sensation. I can usually get it to go away by applying a cool wet compress for a few seconds.

Does that all help?

• A hug for you
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Also, last night, in one section of a dream, I dreamt that the left side of my lip (the side that was swollen this morning) had a huge blister forming on it. There's nothing there, but I did consider it noteworthy at least. Though it could just be anxiety trying to form some coherence to what is happening.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
If it was a cold sore, you'd know it. They're intensely painful, and yes the first is the worst. Apis also has burning, swelling, constriction of the throat, some other throat symptoms. Also herpetic eruptions. Sensation of sand in eyes, granular lids, and inflammation. Warmth of bed is a big aggravation for Apis, as are anxious dreams. So, maybe that's a good one to use in this situation. It's definitely helpful in case of bee sting or other insect stings. I'd caution that if you ever do use it for a sting, to dilute it in water and take that, as taking a pellet directly can sometimes be too strong and aggravate a sting. But that's me getting distracted here…

When I feel a cold sore coming on, I immediately take the remedy Vaccinotoxinum just at the beginning of feeling the tingle, then follow up with Staphysagria (especially if I'm feeling irritated), or Natrum muriaticum, or Borax (especially if there are ulcers in the mouth), and Apis if there's swelling. Graphites can help as it's drying up. Rhus tox is also a good one, but check your symptoms and don't take it if you've taken Apis and vice versa. Apis and Rhus tox are inimical to each other and can aggravate symptoms. If you're on your period, Sepia can be the best one to take. So Vaccinotoxinum might be good to have as a preventative. I've found it to severely limit an outbreak, or skirt past it altogether.

Just a note regarding homeopathy, though you might already know this… but helpful to anyone reading this. The tubes of pellets say to take several pellets at once, but you really only need to take one, or you can even crush a pellet and use a little of the powder and save the rest. The companies only make money if you buy lots of their remedies, as it's all natural so they can't make a ton of cash on them. This way, you can keep your remedies longer. They won't go bad if stored properly.

Also, whether it's a cold sore or not doesn't matter, if you just go by the symptoms. If you don't have a copy of Boericke's materia medica, here's a link to the free online version, Just click a letter to find the alphabetical listing of the remedy. If you want to look up by part of the body affected, there's also a repertory on the main page of this site. http://homeoint.org/books/boericmm/index.htm. If you're already familiar but want to get even more detail, I'd recommend diving into the Kent materia medica, also accessible on the main page of that site.

• Informative
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Anaeika and Angela

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Oof! I'm sorry to hear this, Angela just as I am amazed at all the great advice above. I don't know that I have a lot to add though the main thing that occurs to me is whether it might help to cool that lip down?
Looking up options, some that I liked for this included cool compresses, witch hazel or a few drops of aloe vera from the plant. Using your intuition to choose here is probably vital.

Another thought is that it may be worse after the night because you lie down at night, bringing more blood to your head, including your lips. You could see if it was lessened by being semi-reclined.

It may be useful to go back and see the doctor if it doesn't go away. In case you do end up there, here is an article about a rare lip swelling diagnosis you could bring to the doctor. Note the treatments listed at the bottom, which include some dietary suggestions as well as steroids: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4154022/

Reactions: Angela and Maryann

Tania

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Hi Angela - having a sensitive system myself - i feel for you, especially the not Knowing what is the trigger. I apologize if i am staying the obvious but from what you explained it does Seem like you had a trigger to an already low immunity system. Sometimes after the holidays - eating differently - eating out/ visiting. Eating too much We overwhealm our system and out bodies react. I agree you would know if it was a cold sore - Obviously a general low immunity Can have it all come on simultaniously but apart from washing the pillow which is Great advice - look thouroughly through your environment. I was allergic for a year with swelling and sores on my eyes - all from a stupid beanbag pillow that gave of toxic dust but only when moved around. No one Else had this reaction in my family and We found out only by getting rid of it - and boom problem fixed. Are there New toys or pillows/Dolls / teddies ? It could Also be a sting as has been suggested. Commercial Make up products are Also full of bad stuff so if you used a lipgloss or someone elses make up brush - you know what Im saying. Hope you find the cause fast for relief. It does Sound like a "normal" allergic reaction .

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I really appreciate all the help, love, and suggestions you guys are giving.
I think the heat was a big thing. And I've been icing it pretty regularly. However, I had also been taking relatively large doses of oil of oregano (hot hot) because I wanted to make sure any viral or bacterial thing could be eliminated. The thing is, initially it was fine, but I think that may have been the trigger. It is incredibly potent, obviously. And how I was taking it would've centralized out at my mouth.
I had taken it plenty of times before, but I think it was just too much.

Yesterday morning I had a dose of benadryl, but then decided to stop taking the oil of oregano and even the benadryl. No medicine, so my lip could settle a little. Instead I just used a chamomile teabag as a compress and had some chamomile tea.
Last night it seems to not have gotten any worse. It's just a red light puffy line around my lips now. I'm going to do the same today into tonight. If that continues, I'm going to play that as the issue. And it seems so obviously stupid that I would've missed something like that, but if it helps, I'm willing to be a bit sheepish at raising the red alarm over this.
I really was in an oscillating state of complete panic and perfect calm.
I'll keep you guys informed. And again thank you for the information that's in this thread, even for future situations.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
If it was a cold sore, you'd know it. They're intensely painful, and yes the first is the worst. Apis also has burning, swelling, constriction of the throat, some other throat symptoms. Also herpetic eruptions. Sensation of sand in eyes, granular lids, and inflammation. Warmth of bed is a big aggravation for Apis, as are anxious dreams.
I went ahead and got some apis this morning and took a pellet in the car.
Prior to the oil of oregano, I was taking large amounts of ginger, which is also very warming so it's pushing even more towards that.
How frequently should I take the pellet?

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
This is the beauty of this group - a place where someone likely has an answer to another's question - a place where the info then is available, as in a library - a place where people come together to help each other.

I know you were stressed, Angela, and who would not be in your situation. So, thanks for posting because it provided the perfect opportunity for many to come together in love and caring.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Oh, and I meant to tell you, Angela that I had you in mind when I wrote up the theme for this week's remote group healing session.
You can check it out here: https://www.transients.info/roundtable/threads/remote-group-healing-weekend-of-january-25-2020.7570/#post-53908
You're all welcome to join us for a cool breeze or dip in the ocean<3
Thank you so much!

I wanted to give another update, because it doesn't seem like it's fully gone. It hasn't gone full blown swollen, which is good, but it is still inflamed.I was up from 2:30-4:30 last night, unable to sleep. When I initially woke up, my husband just got home from work, and I sat up in bed. I don't know if I thought about this before or if it was some supreme guidance, (hopefully the latter in that this will definitely be the cause), but I was thinking about my chap stick. It was a different brand that I got back when this all started. Technically it happened at the same time as the sardines, but it was consistent with the chap stick that had peppermint, a brand I had never gotten before. It's from Portland, Oregon.

But I switched that out with the same brand, just without peppermint. It literally has three ingredients. Olive oil, coconut oil. And beeswax.

I have an inkling that it's from the beeswax. Beeswax can carry pollen and environmental stuff from the area it comes from. Several years ago when we had moved to Colorado, I started taking bee pollen. I had to start with one granule because it caused an allergic reaction as well.

So, Thankfully, I haven't thrown away my oil chap stick. My husband got it out of the car for me and I'm going to try that. It's only been the morning thus far, but outside of that, I think I'll basically be back to where I was in December. I can't think of any other variables.

I'll let you know. <3

One65

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Canada
T
I have an inkling that it's from the beeswax.
That makes a lot of sense by your description of the symptoms. I worked on honey farms as a teen. People who had worked there for years would suddenly become very allergic, and the reactions could be dramatic. Severe swelling of the fingers and face were the usual symptoms.

I saw it happen to one woman so fast that she didn't have time to remove her wedding rings. We had to cut them off so that she didn't lose her finger. She also went temporarily near-blind.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
That makes a lot of sense by your description of the symptoms. I worked on honey farms as a teen. People who had worked there for years would suddenly become very allergic, and the reactions could be dramatic. Severe swelling of the fingers and face were the usual symptoms.

I saw it happen to one woman so fast that she didn't have time to remove her wedding rings. We had to cut them off so that she didn't lose her finger. She also went temporarily near-blind.
In your opinion, should I stop taking the bee pollen I put in my smoothies? It is local (whereas the chap stick wasn't.)
Do these allergies tend to stay indefinitely? Or do they peeter off as your body chills a bit? Are some beeswax's or propolis more potent than others?

I went to whole foods and found a vegan chap stick without beeswax. I'll see how that goes. There are a lot more ingredients, which make me nervous because I don't like adding a bunch of new variables. But maybe it'll be it. I found a blog where others had this kind of reaction, and it seems to take about 3 days for the reaction to go away. I'm also taking the apis, and my diet is generally anti inflammatory.

One65

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jul 31, 2018
Canada
Hi Angela,

I would stop using the pollen for a short period. Couple weeks? Enough to know. It might be elevating your sensitivity. In my observation, I saw a lot of people who had a lot of exposure to bees or even honey as a young person -and then a break - became severely allergic. Most beekeeper kids are lethally allergic to bee products after their teen years ( in my world).

Coincidentally, or not, I became dangerously allergic to shellfish and similar things right after working on honey farms. It has lasted for 30+ years. I feel like it is related but no proof. Just gut instinct.

You are hyper aware of intake/symptoms. You will figure it out. Too often the problem is very simple and right in front of you. Keep a journal of your food and reactions? Just a thought.

Scary stuff sometimes.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Love all the info coming out in this thread.

One65, I had no inkling of the potential side effects of working at a honey farm. Wow, just wow. Thanks so much for the info.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Update!

After several days of dealing with extremely chapped lips, they are evening out. The edge is just a little dry, but my lips are essentially back to normal! Huzzah! Huzzah!
I keep making sounds and raspberries and moving my mouth around just because it feels so freaking good to have my mouth back.

Thank you all so much for all your love, support, advice, care, and time.
As Linda said, it's really wonderful to have a great collection of people here for advice and love. Such a wonderful community.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)