Have You Considered Your Music Diet? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
So, the music streaming site, deezer, commissioned a study about music and its relation to a healthy body and mind. I did not look at the study and definitely have some qualms about this site as they want to collect all your personal data from your devices to create your perfect playlists. Yeah, everything in me screams noooooo about that.

However, I'm intrigued with the general idea. We all are aware of how music influences our moods. I keep some favorites on my music tab for inspiration and mostly pick-me-ups (wrote about it here in the thread "Just a bit of elevation". Also, there is info about calming dogs here on the thread about cello music and dogs. So, I think we would agree with the overall premise.

The commissioned study took it way farther with RDA - recommended daily allowances of music types.

The global study of over 7,500 people, looked at the relationship between music and our mental and physical well-being – by studying various factors including styles, mood and genre. The experiment concluded that, whatever your preferred choice of music, in order to feel the emotional benefits of different music styles you need to listen, on average to:

• 14 minutes of uplifting music (user’s choice) to feel happy (18% of your musical RDA)
  • 16 minutes of calming music (user’s choice) to feel relaxed (20.5% of your music RDA)
  • 16 minutes of music (user’s choice) to overcome sadness (20.5% of your music RDA)
  • 15 minutes of motivating music (user’s choice) to aid concentration (19% of your music RDA)
  • 17 minutes of music (user’s choice) to help manage anger (22% of your music RDA)
The study analyzed how people use music to process emotions. Relaxation was the most common emotional benefit (90%), followed by happiness (82%) as well as overcoming sadness (47%). A further third (32%) of participants used music to help them concentrate, while over a quarter (28%) deal with anger through their tunes.

The study found that on average, people should listen to music for 11 minutes to enjoy its therapeutic benefits. The only exception was happiness – participants reported feeling happier within just five minutes of listening to joyful tunes. Participants also reported feeling more satisfied with life (86%), having more energy (89%) and laughing more (65%) after listening to ‘feel-good’ songs.
Lyz Cooper, of the British Academy of Sound Therapy (BAST) says “There are certain properties of music that affect the mind and body. Dedicating time each day to listen to music that triggers different emotions can have a hugely beneficial impact on our well-being. Listening to happy songs increases blood flow to areas of the brain associated with reward, and decreases flow to the amygdala, the part of the brain associated with fear.”

I find songs come and go depending on what is needed. There was time when my daughter was in her late teens that things were not going well for either of us. We each latched on to the Wallflowers' song, One Headlight. So many times we were driving with the windows down, blasting this song and singing with all our might. It always worked because we laughed and smiled because we knew together we could always "drive it home with one headlight".

hey-ey-ey
come on try a little
nothing is forever
there's got to be something better than in the middle
me and cinderella
put it all together
we could drive it home
with one headlight

The study goes on to look at music and anger. Some people prefer ACDC and others, Bob Marly.

A third of respondents (28%) reported that Rock music helps in processing feelings of anger, with ‘Highway to Hell’ by ACDC revealed as the top song choice to listen to. However, this was followed closely by classical music (17%), with Bob Marley’s ‘One Love’ also making the list of top ten songs to combat anger.
The study showed that while a third (31%) of us prefer music with a fast tempo when feeling angry, another third favour slow-tempo tunes. This difference comes down to our genetic make-up. Rousing music can increase heart rate, blood pressure and emotional response, which for some listeners can help them make process their angry emotions. However, for others, it can be a barrier to overcoming them.

Have you all noticed different songs that pop in when you need them most? With that, I'll leave you with the Wallflowers.

Last edited:

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
A co-worker once challenged me to make the saddest cd I could come up with and he did the same so we could share and see what the other came up with. It was a very interesting experiment. My songs had much more down tempo and the lyrics were mainly where the sadness came in. His was a lot more emotionally charged music and I (admittedly) couldn't hear a bit of the lyrics.

Music has been in my life for my entire life. Coming from a musical family, aside from my mother, we all played at least one instrument.
After my son was born, I went through a really long period where I just didn't listen to music. I was going through a seriously depressing and difficult time and just couldn't handle anything. A couple years ago, I've been increasing the music I've been listening to and I've followed the paths with my emotions, very consciously.

Lately I've been completely with classical because it just feels right.

I feel more humor, emotion, and goose bumps from music than any other medium.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I feel more humor, emotion, and goose bumps from music than any other medium.
It does not take more than a few bars, I can be transported to memories and experiences around a song.

• I agree
Reactions: Lila

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I've meant to respond here sooner but for some reason my mind is cluttered with all kinds of emotions and thoughts. Not the least of which is I'm closing the door on my (blood) brother. I've just had enough of his lies and empty promises. He's a narcissist trying to create an untenable situation. So sad. Music is coming back to save my old arse yet again. As y'all know it's a huge part of my life. In the 70's and 80's I saw every major act that came thru Toronto on tour, Pink Floyd, ELP, Queen, Rush, Santana etc. I have some 400 cd's and LP's not to mention a terrabyte on a hard drive I have stashed. My music has been absent lately and it's back, Thank God. I got some work to do yet but my music is more important then ever now.

• A hug for you
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and Alain

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
I've meant to respond here sooner but for some reason my mind is cluttered with all kinds of emotions and thoughts. Not the least of which is I'm closing the door on my (blood) brother. I've just had enough of his lies and empty promises. He's a narcissist trying to create an untenable situation. So sad. Music is coming back to save my old arse yet again. As y'all know it's a huge part of my life. In the 70's and 80's I saw every major act that came thru Toronto on tour, Pink Floyd, ELP, Queen, Rush, Santana etc. I have some 400 cd's and LP's not to mention a terrabyte on a hard drive I have stashed. My music has been absent lately and it's back, Thank God. I got some work to do yet but my music is more important then ever now.

Thanks for that post from a HUGE Peter Gabriel fan.
:hbounce

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
my mind is cluttered with all kinds of emotions and thoughts.
I've been thinking about emotions and music more. For me, music may find that direct path to an understanding / clarity. Mostly, we don't really even know it intellectually, but that emotional / spiritual part of us can just jump into the musical stream and sail away.

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
I have dropped most of the tense or angry music and focused mostly on the music good for meditation, like uplifting music. It's all free on Youtube.

Reactions: Pucksterguy

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I know that feeling. I can't handle metal anymore. Too bad I left behind some good musicians and musical ideas, I just can't handle the noise and intensity anymore. Some where almost symphonic in their styles like Nightwish.

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
since my awakaning my way of using music changed to process emotions, i became softer and can t tolerate the loud violent music as i used to which used to rebalance me

bands on the opera metal spectrum still fuction for me as it is for me a combination of all to form a perfect style

by the way love the titel of the song

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)