Hammocks for sleeping? (2 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
There were some interesting ad-hoc "studies" back in the 1800s. (It was in a book about Cholera.) It seems some people were a lot more sensitive to energies back then. What the study found was when a person slept with the head of the bed at the south, and the foot of the bed towards the north magnetic pole, the person was sick a lot. A person who slept with the head towards magnetic north, and feet towards magnetic south, slept much better.

The interesting part is this was before electricity existed, and neither did electric lights. Book was published in 1849 so the observations were before then.

Then there are archaeological findings that show many cultures buried their dead with feet towards the east, to see the rising sun.
Just on this point, I sleep with my head to the South, feet to the North. But I am in the Southern Hemisphere. I'm pretty sure the magnetics are flipped, on this hemisphere.

• I agree
  • Intriguing Post
Reactions: Lila and Lilia

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
i havent tried many different ones, but i watched several videos where people talked about that on youtube... i got a brazilian style i would say single hammock although it was advertised double but the same size (200x135cm fabric surface) is usually advertised as single. i would not recommend a smaller one in any case, that one is just the minimum to be exactly right for one person in my opinion. as i didnt have much funds and have no good wall to put it up, when i got it, i decided upon one of these "vivere" hammocks with a stand, that are also available on amazon (but i purchased it via a local hardware store).
what i would not recommend is a hammock that has planks on both ends to make the fabric flat, you definitely want a south american style one that folds in on itself so you can optimally stretch it out with your body weight and shift into a comfortable position. also, you do not want one that is made out of a wide fishnet fabric, for obvious reasons i guess, unless you want to wake up looking like... well i have seen sausages that look that way. also, the material should be 100% cotton, preferably organic, otherwise the switch doesnt make much sense... there are a lot of nylon, polyester and polyamide cotton blends on the market from what i saw.
The only thing I know about hammocks is the sea navvies used them, and they swung dramatically in a storm!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)