From toll roads to tramways (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Texas is the land of highways, freeways, toll roads and lots of cars and trucks. In the central part of town we've run out of real estate for freeway expansion, but people are moving to the central Texas area in large numbers.
BTW - some call Austin "Cowboy Portland".

On Wednesday morning, members of the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority board of directors gushed over a proposal to install an aerial tramway that would ferry riders from the University of Texas campus through downtown and all the way to Slaughter Lane in South Austin.

Indeed, what Ficklin is proposing is largely unprecedented. There are currently two active aerial tramway systems in the United States: one in New York City and one in Portland, Oregon. Both are short lines servicing only two stations and span geographical barriers that inhibit other modes.

http://www.austinmonitor.com/stories/2016/09/turning-toll-roads-ctrma-eyes-gondolas/?utm_source=Master+List&utm_campaign=33dcf5ca5e-WWWT_0516_pm&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5f67ac3218-33dcf5ca5e-190177569

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com

Indeed, what Ficklin is proposing is largely unprecedented. There are currently two active aerial tramway systems in the United States: one in New York City and one in Portland, Oregon. Both are short lines servicing only two stations and span geographical barriers that inhibit other modes.
My question is, when are we finally going to get "flying carpets"? Those are what I'm really waiting for...

:D

Reactions: Lila
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Public transportation is pretty good in the big cities, and there are several reasons for that. The main thing is to understand that this country is relatively young. In 1840, when places like New York, Boston, and DC were moving along, Austin had a population of 500. Texas was a wild place inhabited by mostly settlers who were ranching and farming. Even in 1970, the population was just 250,000. When the major cities began their mass transit lines, there were fewer roads and cars, plus it was a time when less consideration was given to people who would be displaced. The key now is to be ahead of "people" development.

The other aspect is the vast distances, which brought in railroads and later automobiles. Today, the core of the big cities like Dallas and Houston have tram lines, and commuter lines from the outskirts to the central city. Here, the commuter lines share tracks with freight trains, which seems to work out ok.

The geology of this area prevents any kind of underground subway system - lots of karst, caverns, and aquifers. Any underground project requires a lot of planning in order not to mess up the aquifers, which are water sources for many people.

Years ago, I spent some time on the first of the metro lines. It is a complicated business because of all the moving parts (haha). Every foot of right-of-way has to be purchased or leased. Could it be better, sure it could. Right now, if I want to go to UT, the capitol, or downtown, there are bus and train options, although I have to drive to the departure point in my neighborhood.

The idea of mass transportation is an interesting one because of the history of this country.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)