From My Yard (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I was out raking leaves in my yard this morning and turned over a heavy piece of sandstone and it was covered with quartz crystal points. It weighs about 50 lbs (about 23kg). It's not cleaned yet so it has lots of iron and dirt on it but a few of the points are really big and it has lots of small very clear points on it too. It's beautiful!
IMG_4828.JPG

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It might be doing its job in that place.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
That is amazing! I have never ran into crystals in their natural space, with the exception of some cave tours.

in my yard this morning
That might be a message you chose the right place to reside in at the moment!

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
That is amazing! I have never ran into crystals in their natural space, with the exception of some cave tours.

That might be a message you chose the right place to reside in at the moment!
I was blown away to find that piece! I haven't had much time to look for more but I found a broken crystal point (picture below) too bad it's broken but it must mean there's more to find.

I do feel this is the right place for me right now. I don't know if I'll always be here but it feels right for now.
IMG_4830.JPG

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
We have quartz, amethyst, granite, soapstone, flint, and lava all over our yard, too. It is mostly little chunks like your second picture. If I found something like your first picture, I would be speechless. Maybe we can have a quartz connection line. <3s

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
I have only found pot shards, probably from the 19th century, an arrowhead (this area was a Native American settlement), a buried Buddha (all in our garden) and a handmade knife with a bone handle in a wall. No crystals except those I have placed!

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I have only found pot shards, probably from the 19th century, an arrowhead (this area was a Native American settlement), a buried Buddha (all in our garden) and a handmade knife with a bone handle in a wall. No crystals except those I have placed!
That's a lot of treasures to find, Krena! I've been looking for an arrowhead for years and never found one. How fantastic!

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
That is beautiful! Thank you for sharing. It makes me miss rock hunting. I used to find these all over the place where I used to live, as well as fossils.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
That is beautiful! Thank you for sharing. It makes me miss rock hunting. I used to find these all over the place where I used to live, as well as fossils.
I used to live in north Arkansas but only ever found big quartz rocks. No crystals except druzy quartz. I'm excited to find these big points in my yard. Where did you live last, Anaeika?

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I used to live in north Arkansas but only ever found big quartz rocks. No crystals except druzy quartz. I'm excited to find these big points in my yard. Where did you live last, Anaeika?
I think it is amazing that you found it in your yard!

Arizona. I lived in the desert. There's so many rocks, geodes, volcanic rocks, turquoise, gold, fool's gold, magnetite, quartz, granite...
Do you know of any good hiking & rock hunting places in Texas? So far, I have found limestone.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
I think it is amazing that you found it in your yard!

Arizona. I lived in the desert. There's so many rocks, geodes, volcanic rocks, turquoise, gold, fool's gold, magnetite, quartz, granite...
Do you know of any good hiking & rock hunting places in Texas? So far, I have found limestone.
I bought a few crystals online from Arizona. There are some nice ones there. Texas is a country all on its own it's so big. I'm sure there are good places to hike and rock hunt but they could be far away from you. I used to live in the Houston area but its was always too hot and humid to do much outside. Maybe west Texas in the hills might be a nice place to hike.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Do you know of any good hiking & rock hunting places in Texas?
The hill country in central Texas is a treasure trove. City names like Marble Falls, and Granite Shoal are a big clue. Of course, there is the big site of Enchanted Rock, which is just outside Fredericksberg. There was a lot of seismic and volcanic activity here long, long ago. The largest documented blue topaz was found in Mason. There used to be a topaz hunting place there, but I don't know if it is still there. About 60 miles north of me (Austin), archeologists found a site dating back long before the Clovis people, which were thought to be the first ones here.

The trick is finding a place you can legally dig. Most of the land is part of private ranches, and ranchers take a dim view of trespassers. Of course, you are not allowed to take anything from a public park.

Vickie is right about the climate. The best time is in late fall and winter - after a freeze. The snakes will be hibernating, the bugs will be gone, and you won't sweat away half your liquids.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
The hill country in central Texas is a treasure trove. City names like Marble Falls, and Granite Shoal are a big clue. Of course, there is the big site of Enchanted Rock, which is just outside Fredericksberg. There was a lot of seismic and volcanic activity here long, long ago. The largest documented blue topaz was found in Mason. There used to be a topaz hunting place there, but I don't know if it is still there. About 60 miles north of me (Austin), archeologists found a site dating back long before the Clovis people, which were thought to be the first ones here.

The trick is finding a place you can legally dig. Most of the land is part of private ranches, and ranchers take a dim view of trespassers. Of course, you are not allowed to take anything from a public park.

Vickie is right about the climate. The best time is in late fall and winter - after a freeze. The snakes will be hibernating, the bugs will be gone, and you won't sweat away half your liquids.
Funny you said Fredricksburg b/c I was just there! Didn't get to go to Enchanted Rock, but hopefully next time. I did buy honeycomb calcite from there though. What is found at Enchanted Rock?

Reactions: Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)