Free Access Through 10/15/19 of Film - The Need to GROW (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Most of us are aware of the damage big agriculture is doing to our environment and food supply. Small growers (I work for one) are doing their best to grow healthy, nutrient dense food sustainably.

I've watched the trailer but not the whole film, but I wanted to get this info out to you all. One thing that jumped out to me was the citation of a UN study about the state of the world's soil. I'm not a fan of what the UN says, but some of what they say could be right in this case. Also, I saw children being used as part of the movement to increase awareness. I have some concerns about this, but I think it is only a small part of the film.

From my experience leading tours on a small farm, I know how hard farmers and their families work. They do it because they feel a calling to provide good, healthy food. This documentary has won several awards, and I feel it is worth a look.

https://grow.foodrevolution.org/?orid=127162&opid=314

• I agree
Reactions: Lila and Bert

Bert

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jan 10, 2019
Belgium
In Europe there is a big carbon deficit in the soil (not enough compost). This causes an imbalance in the soil ecosystem, makes nutrients leach to rivers,....
And to makes things worse farmers can't use organic fertilizer for the whole fertilization. In Flanders we have an excess of organic fertilizer which we destroy in manure treatment installations and on the other hand they are forced to use chemical fertilizers. thus no common sense.
all this makes fully organic farming almost impossible.

Also regular farmers disinfect the soil a few times a year thus making it a waste land. My experience with my home garden is that you need to get a good ecosystem of fungi and bacteria going to get a good crop growth. Thus the complete opposite.

By the way: glyfosate use is forbidden for regular people because it is bad for the ecosystem but farmers can still use it and are using it in bigger quantities than ever in the EU.

I agree with you on the fact of using kids. This is not ethical in my opinion. Even if I agree with the point that they want to make.

• Informative
Reactions: Lila and Linda

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Only a few more days to watch it!
It looks fabulous.

• I agree
Reactions: Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Only 20 minutes in, and I can say WATCH THIS MOVIE.
Time is short for a free viewing.
If you are interested at all in how food is grown - this is for you.

therium

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Pod - you will be interested in this movie.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Here's a quick quote:
A handful of soil contains more microoranisms than there are people on the planet
This is talking about the difference between 'dirt' and 'soil'; prepping for the idea of learning how to farm sustainably or... follow so many civilizations which ran out of sustainability and no longer exist.

Reactions: Linda

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Here's another, attributed to Confucius:
If your plan is for one year, plant rice
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children

Reactions: therium and Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)