France on strike: Power cuts, schools shut, no Eiffel Tower (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
This is from Dec 2019, but I totally missed it. https://apnews.com/6e8881cfd9882fdfe90e50999c4bb342

French union activists cut electricity to nearly 100,000 homes or offices. Eiffel Tower staff walked off the job. Even Paris opera workers joined in Tuesday’s nationwide protests across France, singing an aria of anger as workers rallied against the government’s plan to raise the retirement age to 64.
Meanwhile, the retirement age when an American gets full Social Security (retirement) benefits is 67.5. And most people under age 60 today will never ever get out of SS they money they put into it. It's a losing proposition.

My notes: Look for more state-run pensions to begin having problems soon. After the Great Recession of 2007-2008 several pensions had major problems, and benefits dropped 30-50%. This included General Motors, Delphi Automotive, and State of Michigan. Never depend on someone else to take care if you, it is unsustainable and only lasts as long as gov't can raise taxes.

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Alain and Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Meanwhile, the retirement age when an American gets full Social Security (retirement) benefits is 67.5.
The full retirement age is based on year born - up to 1937 = 65 yrs, 1943-54 = 66 yrs, 1960+ = 67 yrs. It is possible to begin collecting social security beginning at age 62, although there is a percentage reduction in the amount. Quite a few people start before the retirement date.

The original idea of social security and pensions was Ok because it helped people who had limited means. However, many people live long enough for their benefits to exceed the amount contributed. Then we have the people who have gamed the system, such as those who serve in Congress, or those with pension plans that cover far more than basic needs.

I agree it is a mess but one that will require careful unraveling so as not to hurt the regular people.

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
I like the French' population revolutionary power, just see the still ongoing yellow vest protests that the MSM does not talk about anymore. The French still have their "1789 gene" in them it seems. (Not saying I condone any violence or maintain that it ended well back then with emperor Napoleon taking over from that created chaos and void a few years later).

• I agree
Reactions: therium and Tania

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I like the French' population revolutionary power, just see the still ongoing yellow vest protests that the MSM does not talk about anymore. The French still have their "1789 gene" in them it seems. (Not saying I condone any violence or maintain that it ended well back then with emperor Napoleon taking over from that created chaos and void a few years later).
Yes, the French have a special way of protesting and of accepting protest as a part of life.
Guillotines aside, this can be a way to peacefully protest actions/laws/rules etc not in accordance with living the way people wish to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)