Fixit Clinic - learn to do it yourself (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Do you have a small appliance that is perfectly good except for a part. You could take it to a repair shop, but it will cost more than a new one. This is a dilemma for me. I can fix a lot of things, but not appliances.

Wouldn't it be great to know how to fix some of the appliances? It is so wasteful to toss an old one in the trash and go to the "big box" for a new one.

Enter Fixit clinics that work with local libraries. This is not a drop off site. You get to visit with an expert who can show you how to repair your item. Isn't that empowering? I'm waiting for them to come back around here because we've got this blender .....

http://fixitclinic.blogspot.com/

Reactions: Pod and Stargazer

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Isn't that empowering? I'm waiting for them to come back around here because we've got this blender .....

This is just great Linda. Fixing things ourselves is so empowering! I service Dyson vacuum cleaners. There are some great videos on youtube to follow.

We used to have scrap metal sites where one could go and try and find a part but they have been done away with through government legislation.

WE could start something like this in the UK! I am excited.

Reactions: Linda and Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
My husband and I are considered wizards among most of our neighbors because we know how to fix things. I grew up with a grandfather who could build all kinds of things. When he and my grandmother drove to California in the 1920s, he rigged an air-conditioner for their car (an early evaporation cooler). My Father (their son) was the same way. When I got my first apt in college, he gave me a tool-box with a bunch of basic tools. Even now, my husband will come home with some specialty tool for me. (I look maavalous in my head-lamp work light.) It feels great to be able to fix things. You are right, you-tube is a great source of info.

Reactions: Stargazer and Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
My Father (their son) was the same way. When I got my first apt in college, he gave me a tool-box with a bunch of basic tools.
I have a small screwdriver in my wash bag!

I am excited by tools (alright guys, calm down) My new landlord Alan, has a whole workshop downstairs in the basement (he converted it from being a wine cellar.....no comment) and I love all the different screwdrivers! (Hands up all those who had to use a knife from the kitchen drawer)

Sod the lipsticks......give me a power drill!

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
My husband and I are considered wizards among most of our neighbors because we know how to fix things. I grew up with a grandfather who could build all kinds of things. When he and my grandmother drove to California in the 1920s, he rigged an air-conditioner for their car (an early evaporation cooler). My Father (their son) was the same way. When I got my first apt in college, he gave me a tool-box with a bunch of basic tools. Even now, my husband will come home with some specialty tool for me. (I look maavalous in my head-lamp work light.) It feels great to be able to fix things. You are right, you-tube is a great source of info.
My father built a whole bookcase for the entire edition of Encyclopaedia Britannica he and my mother were given for a wedding present. It covered the entire wall and was magnificent. He forgot to include the width of the wood when he measured the shelf for the Enc. Brits so they did not fit.

Your male lineage sounds amazing.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Your male lineage sounds amazing.
Whenever my Dad was working on the cars, I often was asked to help because my slender hands could reach well. So, in my formative years, I spent some time under cars. Lol

Reactions: Stargazer

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Whenever my Dad was working on the cars, I often was asked to help because my slender hands could reach well. So, in my formative years, I spent some time under cars. Lol
I was under men. I think your time was better spent! :((:ROFL::-))

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
In my home I am the "handy man". If it's something that can be fixed, I fix it. I install simple plumbing, simple electric, floors, painting, etc. I can usually always find a "how to" online. If left to my husband nothing would ever get fixed. His idea of fixing something is buying a new one. o_O

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
In my home I am the "handy man". If it's something that can be fixed, I fix it. I install simple plumbing, simple electric, floors, painting, etc. I can usually always find a "how to" online. If left to my husband nothing would ever get fixed. His idea of fixing something is buying a new one. o_O

That's why they are scared that we will find a way to have babies without sperm!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)