Facebook Negatively Affects Mood and Well-Being, Studies Reveal (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
IMG_5174.JPG

If you've ever spent any time on Facebook you know how addictive it is. It's like a time suck. You go on to check one thing and an hour later you wonder why you're still looking. It was designed exactly to do what it does. Get you addicted.

January 20th, 2017
By Dr. Joseph Mercola
Contributing writer for Wake Up World

Every month, 1.65 billion people actively use the social media site Facebook. On average, each user spends 50 minutes using the site daily, which doesn’t sound like that much until you consider it’s more time than is spent on any other leisure activity except for watching TV.[1] In the U.S., Americans spend just 19 minutes, on average, reading each day and just 17 minutes on exercise, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.[2] So the nearly one hour spent on Facebook is significant; it’s about the same amount of time spent eating and drinking (just over one hour).

Further, it’s just an average. Some people spend far more than one hour perusing Facebook every day (teens, for instance, may spend up to nine hours), the consequences of which are only beginning to be understood.

Lurking on Facebook May Make You Depressed
Spend any time on Facebook and you’ll be inundated with photos and posts depicting other people’s seemingly perfect families and lives. Such posts can induce feelings of envy and lead to unrealistic social comparisons that in turn bring down your mood and level of well-being. It can even lead to depression.

A new study of more than 1,000 people in Denmark further revealed causal evidence that “Facebook affects our well-being negatively.”[4] Facebook users who took a one-week break from the site reported significantly higher levels of life satisfaction and a significantly improved emotional life, the study revealed. Such gains were greatest among heavy Facebook users, those who used the site passively (lurking but not necessarily interacting with others) and those who tended to envy others on Facebook.

If you’re a regular Facebook user interested in increasing your well-being, it might not be necessary to quit the site for good, however. The researchers suggested making adjustments in your usage behavior could be enough to prompt positive change:[5]

“To make things clear, if one is a heavy Facebook user, one should use Facebook less to increase one’s well-being. And if one tends to feel envy when on Facebook, one should avoid browsing the sections (or specific friends) on Facebook causing this envy.

Read the rest

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
Happy I'm not on it at all. (Ok, I mean as private person, I do have artist's accounts to promote, but that is sth different altogether for me, and I hardly ever go there except for a few updates every month or so, or to look if I still can log in and am not blocked somehow for inactivity ... <:);)o:)).

K

KarlaSM

I have to agree with a lot of what is being said in here.

In my personal experience, I would keep a personal account for relatively short periods of time before I felt the need to disconnect, either by deactivating the account or by deleting it permanently and then spending relatively long periods of time without one. Each time I leave I feel less drained, much more in touch with myself and contact with friends who are interested in talking to me through other means becomes deeper. My personal trend was that many years ago I had lots of contacts, but over time realized that since my intention was to create a personal space, it was pointless to have contacts that I did not know that much or that I had no communication with. From there, because of my personal intention of having an account for positive interaction with genuine friends, it failed. Too much negative stuff, so opted for email or any other means without the impersonal stuff, projections in the profile of each person, conspiracy theories, lack of balance...etc. However this was just my personal experience, I know for others it is an excellent tool for business, for projects, for sharing information, to keep in one space many things, for family etc. I guess it depends in which ways people use this tool.

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
From there, because of my personal intention of having an account for positive interaction with genuine friends, it failed.
Yeah, I understand that. I want organic friendships, I cannot maintain an interest in relating solely over the Internet, although I enjoy it here on Transients because we are linked by a powerful bond of spiritual seeking. My physical friendships allow the Transients ones. If I was a person who was trying to get their emotional fulfilment from Facebook, I would be deeply miserable and insecure.

Last edited:

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
In many ways, I see social media (especially Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram) as HUGE distractions. On one hand, they do connect people and allow them to share things of value, but they also tend to promote a culture of gossip where everyone is into everyone else's business. It also tends to separate us from nature and put our focus on the external, rather than the internal. For me, it usually turns into a case of severe informational overload! :)

Just like any tool, I guess it all depends upon how it's used or how "balanced" the individual is who uses it.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I'm getting very very bored with fb. It was fine when we had the transients page going full steam. It doesn't seem to be the fountain if info it used to be. Starting to spend less and less time there. Spent the last couple of days paring out pages I'm was following. Far too much of it was preaching to the choir.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
To me fb is like drive-by messaging - post and go, or cocktail party chatter, which has little interest for me.
I like a genuine conversation that I can keep up with. Everything gets lost on fb, which is why I like this site.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I have two perspectives - both are not pro-social media.

1) I have actually lived through an intense few years of observing teenage-fb /snapchat connection, interaction and abuse of it; seeing how it is an anchor in a chaotic sea, for my teen, but also how it promotes over-use of selfies (narcissism); posting of inappropriate pictures that others have got hold of (been to the police over this); leads to a blow-out of interaction times into the wee hours of the morning, leading to tired, grumpy teens on both ends of the device; etc We are only just moving through to the thin end of this wedge as maturity is sinking into my teen's thought patterns - although she put up a good fight!

2) Linked In, so-called business social media: when I lost my job two years ago, I realised that failure to have a well-constructed online network could mean that I miss out on job opportunities, but it just isn't me. For years before, I had rejected all such requests, and I still haven't taken that project on. I just can't play that game of climbing that imaginary ladder. If the employer can't meet me in person and like me for what I bring to the table, then sod that. Part of my attitude for sure is born of the fact that I have been slowly waking up for decades - and those ideas just don't gel with the business community if they are in it for profit or for themselves personally.

K

KarlaSM

I really like the vibe of this site. In general the environment is very positive and we can discuss just about anything. If we feel bad about something we can bring different perspectives in here. :D

@Hailstones about the selfies I had an art teacher some time ago who created a series of oils, very well done but all of them were about semi naked teenager ladies taking selfies of themselves in bathrooms, like some sort of attempt to raise to the awareness of the people about the issue. I know perhaps for young people it is common and they think it is cool, but some really tend to exaggerate with those things and it can bring lots of other issues, some very extreme.

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I am not on FB b/c I am simply happier w/o it for the above reasons and b/c I value my privacy and crave real face to face relationships. Besides, I rather my online time be on here w like-minded souls.

I also believe that FB interferes w psychic ability & further disconnects us.

Jenny

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
This is a very timely post. I'm currently in the throes of deleting my FB account - I've deleted all contacts and taken all photos etc off it, so now there is nothing in the new feed. The only reason it's still open is because I have one contact who I can only contact via FB and once an alternative means has been sorted out, I'll be deleting the whole account entirely. Deleting for lots of the above reasons that people have already mentioned - a massive time-suck, addicting, not a decent replacement for face-to-face contact, VERY distracting, and generally something I feel separates us from being in the Now. For the last week or so, I've felt a huge relief at not feeling like I have to go and check FB every day (in case I miss something), and I've got things done that I was putting off due to being distracted. I feel more present.

anony.

Involved Wayfarer
Jan 15, 2017
Scotland
100% agree. Since I've been off Facebook it's like a breath of fresh air. I'm glad I grew up without it I feel sorry for today's generation growing up with the demands of social media it's just poison to feed the ego (mostly, I mean it can be a good way to connect too) it's the ultimate propaganda tool in my eyes it helps keep the masses right where THEY want us. I'm dreading my girls growing up and getting caught up in it I. wish, for their sake, it would just disappear.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
This is a very timely post. I'm currently in the throes of deleting my FB account - I've deleted all contacts and taken all photos etc off it, so now there is nothing in the new feed. The only reason it's still open is because I have one contact who I can only contact via FB and once an alternative means has been sorted out, I'll be deleting the whole account entirely. Deleting for lots of the above reasons that people have already mentioned - a massive time-suck, addicting, not a decent replacement for face-to-face contact, VERY distracting, and generally something I feel separates us from being in the Now. For the last week or so, I've felt a huge relief at not feeling like I have to go and check FB every day (in case I miss something), and I've got things done that I was putting off due to being distracted. I feel more present.
I completely agree. I don't know why I ever check FB because it's such a waste of time. The problem is that you can't close or delete your FB account. You can make it inactive but it stays open forever. FB will always bother you about reactivating your account.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
it's the ultimate propaganda tool in my eyes it helps keep the masses right where THEY want us. I'm dreading my girls growing up and getting caught up in it I. wish, for their sake, it would just disappear.
To take away something "positive" from it, it may be helpful to consider it a learning opportunity. My wife and I have talked with our teenage son about it--and we all have agreed about the pitfalls of social media.

There are lots of examples from his own circle of friends and classmates we've used to serve as examples of how NOT to use it. He's now using it very professionally to launch his own online business.

Out of Time

Roaming Contributor
Sep 5, 2016
I've had very positive experiences related to Facebook. See. I can only "meet" many of the people I would like to communicate with there. And, of course, there is this sadness that you can't really talk, or have a telepathic contact with them like any normal human being, for the sake of humanity!

So, it is a bad alternative, but an alternative still.

K

KarlaSM

Oh guys there is a real way to delete an account. I have done this several times. But simply it is a hidden function sadly. Here is the link to do it permanently:

https://www.facebook.com/help/delete_account

Vickie try it out.

I do believe online connections can be very real and very deep. At least with many people it was and still is. One of the reasons why I ended up deleting Facebook was because I got to recognize in my heart many connections, even remember past lives with them in physical, and I really got to truly feel the depth of the love shared, but it all ended up being a one way street, so I had to say bye. I know it is not the same as in physical, but I guess I learned something important there, in which ways we all were very conditional to each other and how we as human beings set up lots of limitations instead of trying to develop basic skills like time to communicate and being present, instead of choosing distraction and excuses.

anony.

Involved Wayfarer
Jan 15, 2017
Scotland
To take away something "positive" from it, it may be helpful to consider it a learning opportunity. My wife and I have talked with our teenage son about it--and we all have agreed about the pitfalls of social media.

There are lots of examples from his own circle of friends and classmates we've used to serve as examples of how NOT to use it. He's now using it very professionally to launch his own online business.
That's a very good way of looking at it il use that idea in the future for sure o:)

anony.

Involved Wayfarer
Jan 15, 2017
Scotland
The thing that bugs me the most is, for example going out to eat, and everyone is on there phone. I imagine them texting the person sitting right next to them. It's madness. I was at the train station the other day and there were 3 young girls maybe 13 years old. And in the 20 mins or so we were sat waiting not a word passed between them. They were all on their phones.i mean growing up is hard enough without feeling like ur very 'friends' have to escape ur company onto social media. Talk about denting their self esteem :(

Bill

The magic has always been within you.
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
From Kansas, living in Texas
For me, FB is a tool and helps me connect to others, and other ideas, I likely would never have connected to otherwise (well, a few certain things are going to find us no matter what the means). I do understand it's limitations. For me it's quick scans to get a pulse of what is going on and occasionally I'll see a piece of info I want to dive into more deeply. It is certainly not the place for deep discussions like we can have here on the RT.

In many ways I think a combination of FB + RT is pretty effective. When the transients FB group was active there were 3000+ subscribers and it brought to me exposure to many, many perspectives I had not been exposed to. It launched me into seeking more deeply. And it helped me build connections to many around the world now here on RT that I may not have found otherwise. I also find that if there are things where I want my voice heard more widely I can post about it here in depth on RT and then choose to add a link to a FB post that may be seen by a wider audience.

In short, FB is broad and shallow while RT (and some other websites) are narrow and deep. Both have their place. I also recognize that not everyone wants one or the other, and some none of the above. It's all OK...we all have choices appropriate for us individually in selecting the many ways to connect and communicate, or not.

As too FB being a time suck. It can be if we let it. But that is a choice we each make. As with any tool it can be used well, or inappropriately. And many use it in hurtful ways. It will never replace the connection of face-to-face communication and conversation but I believe it can be an aid. Sadly too many don't know how to, nor appreciate more in-person communication...but I believe that will return more broadly. In many ways I see FB as being similar to the pre-occupation many of us had with sex in our younger years. We didn't really know what we were doing but damn we sure knew we wanted it and without much regard to the implications for our counterpart. As we become more experienced and mature we enjoy sex much more deeply, are wiser and much more selective about partners and have a much greater appreciation of it. I think humanity collectively is in our teenage years in our understanding and appreciation of FB and other social media and in their appropriate use. Celibacy is a valid choice for some while others are learning to mature in their use.

In the bigger picture I view the internet and the various social media apps (FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc) as training tools for humanity as we progress. We are coming to a time when many will be able to connect telepathically and we can know what is in each others thoughts. I think we are in kindergarten in preparing ourselves. That fact that we can do something does not mean we should. Yes, a person can go off and say horrible things on FB about others with no real concern about any blowback. But we're are learning that kind of behavior is not for the good and that even though we can, we just won't do it because it is not for the highest good for ourselves or others. We are seeing the dark side of social media now so we can find our way towards a more loving type of communication that will serve us well in the future as our telepathic abilities come to the fore more broadly in humanity.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Thanks, Karla. I'll try it on an old FB account that I could never close. Is this something new? In the past you could only disable your FB account.

Reactions: Stargazer

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
The thing that bugs me the most is, for example going out to eat, and everyone is on there phone. I imagine them texting the person sitting right next to them. It's madness. I was at the train station the other day and there were 3 young girls maybe 13 years old. And in the 20 mins or so we were sat waiting not a word passed between them. They were all on their phones.i mean growing up is hard enough without feeling like ur very 'friends' have to escape ur company onto social media. Talk about denting their self esteem :(
To add to your pertinent point here, from a spiritual perspective the greatest disconnect that we have and are experiencing in the way you have described is separation. While the internet has done a lot to connect, the flip side is separation. I think it is no coincidence in this birth space of the new that experience of separation is so in our faces. When we choose to make our quantum leap, the levers we will be moving into gear will be integration and omniscience. With the leap, we will see detail in the overview, that was once just a bland, featureless wall to many of us.

anony.

Involved Wayfarer
Jan 15, 2017
Scotland
To add to your pertinent point here, from a spiritual perspective the greatest disconnect that we have and are experiencing in the way you have described is separation. While the internet has done a lot to connect, the flip side is separation. I think it is no coincidence in this birth space of the new that experience of separation is so in our faces. When we choose to make our quantum leap, the levers we will be moving into gear will be integration and omniscience. With the leap, we will see detail in the overview, that was once just a bland, featureless wall to many of us.
yes I agree in a way I guess the choice is an easier one because the differences are so vast it's kinda clear cut now more than ever

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Disclaimer: I have not read the article above yet.

I have been a heavy user of Facebook, and a light user. While Facebook was founded in February 2004, I don’t think I joined until a few years later, perhaps around 2007, so I have been off and on it for about 10 years. I have changed over that time, and the changes within me reflect how I have used Facebook.

In comparison to the general population, I personally feel I have a unique view of Facebook because of where I have reached on a spiritual level, which includes the ego work I have done, and think I have a helpful understanding around why people use it in the way they do.

What I am referring to is based on the average person, and user — the higher majority: It fills a void for people who need connection on an emotional level, especially for those who lack connection away from the internet. It has positives, such as promoting opportunities to balance your time through what you do, inspiring creativity, helping family connect who live far apart, but I see far too many negatives that outweigh the positives based on where humanity is at right now.

I needed Facebook when I was younger as I was in a certain state where it filled areas of a void; it was very effective at doing that.

A huge problem with Facebook is that there is a FB group consciousness (all users of FB) that tends to have the sheeple mentality, where they do what everyone else is doing most of the time (the greater majority) and share and promote things that are sometimes not accurate. This means there is a lot of rubbish on there, and therefore a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings are formed by a the group consciousness.

There are two sides to FB, one is connections and the other is information which includes advertisement.

I recently told a few people that I had to stop following my news feeds as it became overwhelming and very time consuming. In previous years I had setup groups of people to use on the feed, so I would only look at certain people’s posts (through using a group) as I have so many friends added that it’s impossible to follow everyone.

The reason I stopped following the feeds is that I started feeling uncomfortable following only certain people, when everyone deserves my attention and time, so I decided just not to follow anyone, in addition to my time being taken up so much trying to keep up with people and filter through the rubbish that gets posted which I have come to be able to discern on a psychic level meaning I know what most things are accurtae and inaccurate pretty fast.

Returning to what I touched upon earlier, I see it as a stepping stone to higher levels and can become an energetic barrier if used too frequently. People tend to forget that it’s not healthy to solely communicate with others in a digital way and that real life connections are required (as part of balance), Facebook promotes this unhealthy habit and goes to great lengths to keep people on there (for the reason of gaining money through advertisements).

Some people tend to form the habit and use it to complain about their life and issues, rather than resolve their issues, and this is not healthy.

It’s of course great for promoting yourself and your work, and that is required sometimes to survive and do what you want to do in life, but that is what Facebook is taking advantage of. It’s about making money for them and they go to great lengths to make money from advertising and forcing things on the users. The energy of advertisement is what really governs Facebook and that energy doesn’t resonate with me at all anymore, which also makes it hard for me to be around it, as I am becoming more energy sensitive. So there is that advertising side, but then the unhealthy emotional group consciousness side of what makes up FB energy. If I post a link to one of our articles or threads on the FB page I maintain for the site, the software that controls what users see will only show my link to about 10-15% of the 'likes' of the page. Originally it was 100% for groups, but Facebook wanted to make some money... now you have to pay money to promote your post so more users that like your page can see it and this is just one example of many about why FB is all about making money.

I do miss following people on FB and interacting with them like I have done in the past, but I know I need to look after me first and make sure I am where I need to be for my own health and sanity. This is similar to how I need to continue to listen to my body so I know what is best to consume for my diet, which includes what I may wash my hair and brush my teeth with.

From a spiritual perspective, it is a great place to help others if you are a mentor, teacher, guide and so on, but we all operate at different levels, just like with diet, we need to make changes based on where we are at on a personal level and FB is showing me a lower vibrational energy that I don’t need to be around as frequently as I have been in the past.

Oh, and I see FB, as well as some other social media platforms, as creating and worsening short attention spans, and then using that as a tool to advertise. People on Facebook, those heavy and long term users, tend to develop a psychological condition where they only have so much time for something they see, and they therefore miss out on so much from not following up and taking some real time to investigate what appeared before them. People have no choice but to scroll and move on, especially when so many people end up adding friend after friend after friend. Therefore if you are doing something important on FB, such as running a group or page, it's really hard to reach people.

If I wrote something like this on FB, I know I would have to limit what I said as most people wouldn’t take notice since it would be longer than a few lines… this is why pictures get the most attention on FB.

OP
Vickie

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
Disclaimer: I have not read the article above yet.

I have been a heavy user of Facebook, and a light user. While Facebook was founded in February 2004, I don’t think I joined until a few years later, perhaps around 2007, so I have been off and on it for about 10 years. I have changed over that time, and the changes within me reflect how I have used Facebook.

In comparison to the general population, I personally feel I have a unique view of Facebook because of where I have reached on a spiritual level, which includes the ego work I have done, and think I have a helpful understanding around why people use it in the way they do.

What I am referring to is based on the average person, and user — the higher majority: It fills a void for people who need connection on an emotional level, especially for those who lack connection away from the internet. It has positives, such as promoting opportunities to balance your time through what you do, inspiring creativity, helping family connect who live far apart, but I see far too many negatives that outweigh the positives based on where humanity is at right now.

I needed Facebook when I was younger as I was in a certain state where it filled areas of a void; it was very effective at doing that.

A huge problem with Facebook is that there is a FB group consciousness (all users of FB) that tends to have the sheeple mentality, where they do what everyone else is doing most of the time (the greater majority) and share and promote things that are sometimes not accurate. This means there is a lot of rubbish on there, and therefore a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings are formed by a the group consciousness.

There are two sides to FB, one is connections and the other is information which includes advertisement.

I recently told a few people that I had to stop following my news feeds as it became overwhelming and very time consuming. In previous years I had setup groups of people to use on the feed, so I would only look at certain people’s posts (through using a group) as I have so many friends added that it’s impossible to follow everyone.

The reason I stopped following the feeds is that I started feeling uncomfortable following only certain people, when everyone deserves my attention and time, so I decided just not to follow anyone, in addition to my time being taken up so much trying to keep up with people and filter through the rubbish that gets posted which I have come to be able to discern on a psychic level meaning I know what most things are accurtae and inaccurate pretty fast.

Returning to what I touched upon earlier, I see it as a stepping stone to higher levels and can become an energetic barrier if used too frequently. People tend to forget that it’s not healthy to solely communicate with others in a digital way and that real life connections are required (as part of balance), Facebook promotes this unhealthy habit and goes to great lengths to keep people on there (for the reason of gaining money through advertisements).

Some people tend to form the habit and use it to complain about their life and issues, rather than resolve their issues, and this is not healthy.

It’s of course great for promoting yourself and your work, and that is required sometimes to survive and do what you want to do in life, but that is what Facebook is taking advantage of. It’s about making money for them and they go to great lengths to make money from advertising and forcing things on the users. The energy of advertisement is what really governs Facebook and that energy doesn’t resonate with me at all anymore, which also makes it hard for me to be around it, as I am becoming more energy sensitive. So there is that advertising side, but then the unhealthy emotional group consciousness side of what makes up FB energy. If I post a link to one of our articles or threads on the FB page I maintain for the site, the software that controls what users see will only show my link to about 10-15% of the 'likes' of the page. Originally it was 100% for groups, but Facebook wanted to make some money... now you have to pay money to promote your post so more users that like your page can see it and this is just one example of many about why FB is all about making money.

I do miss following people on FB and interacting with them like I have done in the past, but I know I need to look after me first and make sure I am where I need to be for my own health and sanity. This is similar to how I need to continue to listen to my body so I know what is best to consume for my diet, which includes what I may wash my hair and brush my teeth with.

From a spiritual perspective, it is a great place to help others if you are a mentor, teacher, guide and so on, but we all operate at different levels, just like with diet, we need to make changes based on where we are at on a personal level and FB is showing me a lower vibrational energy that I don’t need to be around as frequently as I have been in the past.

Oh, and I see FB, as well as some other social media platforms, as creating and worsening short attention spans, and then using that as a tool to advertise. People on Facebook, those heavy and long term users, tend to develop a psychological condition where they only have so much time for something they see, and they therefore miss out on so much from not following up and taking some real time to investigate what appeared before them. People have no choice but to scroll and move on, especially when so many people end up adding friend after friend after friend. Therefore if you are doing something important on FB, such as running a group or page, it's really hard to reach people.

If I wrote something like this on FB, I know I would have to limit what I said as most people wouldn’t take notice since it would be longer than a few lines… this is why pictures get the most attention on FB.
I absolutely agree. Facebook has become a very unhealthy place for people and especially adolescents.

I know so many people on Facebook that have a selfie stick. That's a long pole that holds your phone or camera so you can take pictures of yourself and the pictures make it look like someone else is taking them. These are the people I feel sorry for. They are the people that need attention so badly that they create a picture perfect life so others can see how wonderful their lives are when in truth they are mostly very sad and lonely people with no self confidence at all. They create the perfect life and show themselves as perfect in an artificial environment. Very sad. What's worse is that their followers believe these selfie people really are perfect and this makes the followers feel badly about themselves.

My daughter said she felt so badly about herself when she was on Facebook that she became very depressed. She was looking at all the picture perfect selfie people and she felt her life was terrible compared to all the beautiful selfie people. She's a grown adult. If an adult can become so depressed about themselves can you imagine what this does to adolescents and teens who are very vulnerable?

In addition, Facebook for me has become a VERY boring place because nobody can type out a little text anymore. It's all memes now. BORING! I don't want to scroll down and waste my time reading memes that someone made up.

I always say I'm getting off Facebook for good but I find myself checking it daily. It's very addicting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)