Exceedingly Charming - 90 Year Old Dorothy Dances/"Strips" On America's Got Talent (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
OP
drakke1

drakke1

Involved Wayfarer
Apr 25, 2019
Northern CA
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm -- i guess my sense of "appropriateness" must be slipping? Seemed "fun" to me given her age, etc. :)

Last edited:

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
What an inspiring video. This is not a program I watch, so I would have never seen it but for this post. The judges' responses were heart-warming, and when she got the golden buzzer, her reaction was genuine thankfulness. She is a 90-year-old woman who worked hard all her life and just wanted to be a star. The courage it took to take that stage is way more than I have. As far as her attire, she is wearing more than models or Hollywood types.

I do appreciate her message. Too often, as we age, we are put into a box of expectations and assumptions that have nothing to do with who we are. I run into this with different workmen who come to the house. Because I'm older and live in a nice neighborhood, certain assumptions are made about who I am, which could not be farther from the truth. Once, the guys working in my husband's office saw pictures of me in jr. and sr. high in my drill team uniforms (high-stepper). I noticed they kept looking at the pictures and then back at me, so I said, yes, that was me at 15 and 17 years old. All of a sudden they could see me as a person. Yesterday, I had a similar episode, but when I talked about my early years at the University of Texas and how I keypunched data and took it to the computer center to run, the same thing happened - he could see me as a person and not his assumptions.

So, I say, great - go for your dream - shake off the shackles of society's assumptions.

That link did not work for me, so here is another.

Reactions: Laron
OP
drakke1

drakke1

Involved Wayfarer
Apr 25, 2019
Northern CA
Thank You very much, Linda, for your insightful and sensitive POV. I was thinking along those very same lines. A very sweet and authentic lady, imo, who deserves all of the attention she appreciates. Many Blessings and have a great weekend !! :)

Reactions: Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)