Earthquake hits my neck of the woods (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Today, at 1:00pm Western Standard Time (WST) a 5.6 earthquake hit south-west Western Australia, between Walpole and Kojonup (near town of Manjimup, 5,000 pop.). It was felt as 1 jolt, lasting a couple of seconds. The area is about 430kms south west of Perth populated by small, rural townships and farming regions. This is also a very popular tourist area.

This occurrence led me to check what other recent earthquakes the Great Southern and South-West of Australia have experienced in recent times. It is quite surprising (as people tend to think this corner of Earth is quite seismically stable):-

Last week: a 3.5 off the coast of Albany (relatively close to today's one) on Wednesday; a 3.4 at Walpole on the coast on Thursday.

29th May 2016 a 5.2 in Norseman region (getting to be remote - near the beginning of the highway going east over the Nullabor). There were 3 earthquakes in a 100km radius of Norseman on 28th May and 29th May and one on July 8th 2016 in that series that were above 5.0, including a further 3 aftershocks under 3.0.

24th February 2017 a 3.0 in Norseman region (3 earthquakes under 3.0 in January/February 2017 as well)

20th June 2018 a 4.7 130km east of Norseman (remote, so nobody was injured in that one).

9th August 2018 a 4.3 at a depth of 17km also in Norseman region.

WA's largest land-based earthquake occurred in 1968 - a 6.9. This hit a remote town called Meckering, which was destroyed, injuring people and leaving many homeless.

Perhaps we are heading towards a bigger "big" one.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
If there is truth to the spaceship activity around the sun, I'm also wondering if they are just visiting to catch a moment in time back here on Earth, rather than having a space battle. That moment may involve some large quake activity.
It was felt as 1 jolt, lasting a couple of seconds.
Did you feel it?

Reactions: Carl and Stargazer
OP
Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
No, Laron, it was too far away from the city of Perth for me to feel it, but people about 200 kms from here did feel it (and it was a further 230 kms on from that).

Reactions: Laron
OP
Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
The earthquakes are hitting quite close to the Great Southern area I visited in June (see my thread Winter Whale Nursery). Norseman, where the series of earthquakes were in recent past years, is sparsely populated, but where the current series of earthquakes are hitting there are higher populations (but not intensely populated - WA is still a wilderness area in that respect).

Reactions: Laron
OP
Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
If there is truth to the spaceship activity around the sun, I'm also wondering if they are just visiting to catch a moment in time back here on Earth, rather than having a space battle. That moment may involve some large quake activity.

Did you feel it?
I know the general population with cognitive dissonance would think that time-travelling watchers buying a ticket for a space odyssey show is a crack-pot theory, but I really go with that one! Why not? With knowledge, time itself can be manipulated, it is not a barrier. And should something occur at a certain time-space junction, it is better to be there in person to fully understand the implications. Not only understand the implications, but take an active part in redirecting the action, which is the script for so many of our beloved sci-fi films over the last decades.

Reactions: Laron and Lila

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
Assuming I could travel in time one of the ideas coming to my head would be not to travel to the past to make changes -quite risky if you read about "the butterfly effect"- but to study true history and to witness the greatest events in history -who built the pyramids? why? what did Jesus really teach? did he resurrect? who killed JFK? etc., etc., etc., -even to witness "The Event" for some perhaps.

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I'm signed up tot he CHANI Project Forum and keep an eye on the quake thread. Here is something from EagleWings who lives in WA.

Now where this is interesting - some old farmers told me many years ago, of a row of round stone balls that ran past Lake Muir, due south, down to the south coast.
Then, for some 40-50 years there has been a company 'mining' there - supposedly for 'rare earths', but nothng ever seemed to get shipped, and very little is known about them.. But the area had a very strange feel.
Me thinks, this may well be another of the '10Km' quakes that BF has been talking about.... If it was, then West OZ will get a few more soon....

Reactions: Snowmelt
OP
Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I guess the 10km from that quote means depth of 10km. I noticed one of the other ones was 17kms. Do shallow quakes mean more widespread damage?

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Do shallow quakes mean more widespread damage?
Earthquakes travel through the subsurface and lose energy along the way. So, in general, if you had 2 earthquakes of equal strength, then a shallow one would do more damage on the surface than would a deep one. Of course, the underlying structures of the earth at that point have a lot to do with it, too.

Reactions: Lila and Snowmelt
OP
Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Just to our north, our near neighbour, Indonesia, has suffered a 7.5 earthquake in Sulawesi. The earthquake happened at sea at a shallow depth of 10km, and caused a large tsunami wave to come in and destroy coastal villages (where approximately 600,000 people live). This area is close in distance to the east coast of Borneo, which has Indonesian and Bruneian territories. Keep tuned to the news for this one, as I think it was significant.

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
Keep tuned to the news for this one, as I think it was significant.
I have been trying to find out something about potential casualties for several hours and there is nothing yet -I don't particularly like that, not a good sign based on prior events of this nature (yes, it is a remote part of the globe but still...)

Reactions: Laron and Lila

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I have been trying to find out something about potential casualties for several hours and there is nothing yet -I don't particularly like that, not a good sign based on prior events of this nature (yes, it is a remote part of the globe but still...)
Thanks for the Reddwolf over on the CHANI forum, I caught this article.

Over 800 dead in Indonesia quake and tsunami; toll may rise
"Rescuers struggled Sunday to reach victims in several large coastal towns in Indonesia that were hit by an earthquake and tsunami, and authorities feared that the toll of more than 800 confirmed dead would rise.​
With the area largely cut off by damaged roads and downed communications lines, military and commercial aircraft were delivering some aid and supplies to the hard-hit city of Palu on the island of Sulawesi, and others in the region.​
But there was a desperate need for heavy equipment to reach possible survivors buried in collapsed buildings, including an eight-story hotel in Palu where voices were heard in the rubble. A 25-year-old woman was found alive during the evening in the ruins of the Roa-Roa Hotel, according to the National Search and Rescue Agency, which released photos of the her lying on a stretcher covered in a blanket.​
At least 832 people were confirmed killed by the quake and tsunami that struck Friday evening, Indonesia's disaster agency said, with nearly all of those from Palu. The regencies of Donggala, Sigi and Parigi Moutong — with a combined population of 1.2 million — had yet to be fully assessed."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/indonesia-tsunami-toll-tops-400-amid-search-survivors-025152550.html

Reactions: Carl and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
What is it about Indonesia!
That area was also one of the hardest hit with the last big tsunami-earthquake that was in the Indian Ocean.
I know that's an inherent risk of any nation with lots of islands, but still!

Reactions: Alain and Laron

Carl

Elder Entity
Jan 8, 2017
Texas
Thanks for the Reddwolf over on the CHANI forum, I caught this article.
Yes, there are now articles in the MSM reporting the same and stating that the toll would be above 1,000.
We will have to wait longer to get a more accurate figure but it doesn't look good. I hope though that there are not stronger aftershocks.

OP
Snowmelt

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
What is it about Indonesia!
That area was also one of the hardest hit with the last big tsunami-earthquake that was in the Indian Ocean.
I know that's an inherent risk of any nation with lots of islands, but still!
I think souls that choose to make their home base on Earth in an "eventful" place, know the likelihood of a quick exit in their script. This place is a confluence of oceans, of the equator, of land and sea, as you say islands (which once were much larger tracts of land before the rising of the oceans thousands of years ago); and also very ancient civilisations, kingdoms, monarchies, and tribal lands. A lot of the gathered knowledge from South India which was once the peak of civilisation ended up in Indonesia. They are also the Spice Islands, and were the destination of "The Company", i.e. The Dutch East India Company (Dutch: Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie, "United East India Company"; VOC - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_East_India_Company_in_Nusantara Batavia, now Jakarta, was the place where the Dutch East India Company out of Holland, and the northern European city states gathered their riches through empire building, extortion, slavery and unequal trade.

Not to forget they are on the Ring of Fire, and have some of the world's biggest active and dormant volcanoes.

It is a landscape-changing place (meaning whole islands could go, and new ones be born).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)