Druidry Overview (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
Greetings guys, I'm Ben and I'm a practicing druid from Shropshire, England. I thought it would be apt to write an overview in here for future visitors to use as reference and a spring board for subsequent discussion. :cool:
Awen.png

A Brief History

The druids (derwydd/drui) were an ancient race of Celtic peoples who resided primarily in Wales, Scotland, Cornwall, Ireland, England and Gaul (now North Western Europe). Carbon dating of monolithic and megalithic structures across these regions has led to the understandable conclusion that they are the people responsible for the creation of the likes of Stone Henge (Hengor Carreg) in England (3000BC to 2000BC) and New Grange in Ireland (Sí an Bhrú 3200BC). Both of these sites were built in perfect astrological alignment with the cyclical movements of celestial bodies that still sees the summer and winter solstices portrayed in dramatic perfection 5000 years later in present day, having been constructed 2000 years before Pythagoras was even born, yet seemingly applying “his” laws...

During the expansion of Rome (and henceforth Christianity) most of Europe and the British Isles were colonised. This colonisation was ground to a halt simultaneously by the Picts (a Celtic [now Scottish] race) in the North, the Druids in Anglesey (Ynys Môn) to the West, the forces of Iceni Queen Boudica (now Norflok, England) and the Germanic tribes of Northern Gaul to the East. The combination of harsh climates, guerilla warfare tactics, not a small amount of magic (!) and the assault on four points of a compass (a part of druidic ritual) began the swift erosion of one of the most powerful empires this world has ever seen.

Prior to Rome’s collapse they pursued their usual tactics of sociological and religious integration with the indigenous tribes-folk, enlisting many into their ranks with promises of gold, fine wines, glory and spoils of war. As such, many of our ancient sacred sites and practices were bastardised and the structures that stood according to our understanding of ley line energy became the very churches and important buildings that still stand today across our land scape, many of them still showing the signs of cultures past in their architecture in the form of gargoyles, green men and astrological symbols. Rome was not shy in assuming a culture into itself like a ravenous monster that ate all it saw but that is a two sided coin...as it only kept the parts it had reverence and respect for. One might ponder current day Christian festivals at this point.

What is a Druid?

A Druid is a person who has decided to practice a certain strain of shamanic spirituality that seeks to develop their self in three distinct ways:

1) To become as creative as possible within our lives (the Bard: artist, storyteller, poet)

2) To commune deeply and totally with Nature (the Ovate: shaman, healer)

3) To gain access to Source wisdom (the Druid: sage, magician)

This philosophy is displayed by our symbol “Awen” (flow of spirit) as shown above. Druids believe that their spiritual paths should be free from dogma and some druids practice other paths alongside, albeit those paths tend to follow a similar spiritual belief in the profundity and beauty of nature (although not always), such as Wicca (Light Witch Craft), Shamanism and Paganism in general. We believe that Source (all) is constructed as a dynamic summation of Nature in all her expressions and that no one expression of Nature has supremacy over another. Should this be the case, there would be an imbalance Source itself would regress into destruction rather than knowledge of Self. In this sense, all are equal but Nature’s infinite expressions (insect, plant, tree, animal, human, ocean, mountain, planet, galaxy, dimension) as a total is Divine. Within that (overly expansive to the point of being all inclusive!) confinement we are free to practice as monotheists (belief in one God) or polytheists (belief in many Gods at one time) and if it’s the latter our choice of pantheon (set of Gods attributed to a certain religion eg Grecian, Hindu etc) is entirely our choice and not restricted to one, it can be mixed up as preferred. The reason for this is that druidry is essentially not a religion; it is a spiritual path with the intention of developing the individual who, in turn, lends him/herself as a greater constituent asset to Nature as a whole. (It is worthy of note at this juncture that although many pantheons are used across the world, the most studied, believed and prolific is the Welsh pantheon of Arthurian legend/myth).

Druids have a steadfast belief (derived from direct experience) of the Otherworld. The Otherworld is the place we were born from, we go to when we die, we visit during trance and dream state and also palpably sense around us at all times. When we die we have a life in the Otherworld before we are born back into this one. This is replicated daily/nightly in the twin states of consciousness and sleep and forms the microscopic version of “as above, so below” denoting that the cycle of birth and death over a longer lifetime duration is merely the bigger brother of daily journeying. The Otherworld exists interwoven with this one and is explained by many New Age teachings as a multi dimensional reality. This is one and the same, which is why so many of us have odd experiences that our taught rules cannot explain. We are interacting with the Otherworld whilst allowing our logic and reason to deny the possibility that what just happened...happened! To a druid both worlds are one and the same and totally experiential.

More to follow...

;)

Tammy Kilgore

Lover of the the Light
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Pontiac, Illinois (USA)
Thank you Ben for your sharing your amazing ability to articulate in such an intriguing fashion.
I'm currently working with a shaman, and interestingly enough, so much is happening, I sometimes am having to pinch myself. But I'm learning with steadfast and speed just HOW MUCH, I create.
For some reason, I wasn't managing it properly over the years ( as it took me a while to even realize it was me doing it) and I eventually learned that I could bring about things that I didn't wish to happen. This grew with speed as well. I found I couldn't even get the slightest bit upset. As I can take out an appliance or technical office equipment in a New York minute if my mood wasn't in a stellar place. It got so bad that literally my dishwasher would incessantly beep at me in the middle of an argument. And it would take forever to "fix". Usually it was a repairman visit and dollars I would of rather not thrown away.

But as of late, I'm learning to create in the positive. And it's simple really. But we MUST connect with nature. We must flow with nature to get to this place.

I have not ever investigated this side of things with Druidism. I'm so intrigued that I may just have to up my game and start.
Tell me Ben, what's the best book to begin with?

OP
Ben

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
Hi guys thanks for the interest! I'm following a course with OBOD (Order of Bards Ovates and Druids) which can be joined here should you wish:

http://www.druidry.org/join

This comes at a small monthly cost (which I'm doing) but you can also study on your own should you wish.

If you wish to go it alone this book is as good a place to start as any as this guy is the current elected leader (Chosen Chief):

DruidCraft: The Magic of Wicca & Druidry

by Phillip Carr Gomm

phillip druid.jpg

Hope this helps!

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Hi guys thanks for the interest! I'm following a course with OBOD (Order of Bards Ovates and Druids) which can be joined here should you wish:

http://www.druidry.org/join

This comes at a small monthly cost (which I'm doing) but you can also study on your own should you wish.

If you wish to go it alone this book is as good a place to start as any as this guy is the current elected leader (Chosen Chief):

DruidCraft: The Magic of Wicca & Druidry

by Phillip Carr Gomm

View attachment 54

Hope this helps!
Perfect Ben!! Thank you!! I'm definitely going to check that link out :)

*just checked it. Are you taking the course via text, audio, or both? & did you get the introductory part first or just sign straight up? I'm trying to figure out whether I just want text or if I should get the audio now too lol.

Reactions: Stargazer and Ben
OP
Ben

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
I went for text only Brooke. You get the introductory lessons (Gwersi) first for free while trying to decide whether to continue and that comes with an audio cd. It's lovely to hear the lessons read out but they are exact replicas of the written word so they're really not necessary, just preference. I get text only now as I'm far more focussed reading than listening where I get easily distracted! :rolleyes:

WARNING: Highly addictive! :D

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Excellent! That's exactly what I was hoping for! I don't really enjoy audio & video as much as the written word, & I can read a whole lot faster than I can make others speak hahaha

Tracy

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 31, 2016
Loved the introduction Ben! I have always been drawn to shamanism, but never really had the "time" to devote to learning it's practices! It may be time for me now, as this subject keeps crossing my path more and more! Maybe I'm getting a hint? Lol.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Loved the introduction Ben! I have always been drawn to shamanism, but never really had the "time" to devote to learning it's practices! It may be time for me now, as this subject keeps crossing my path more and more! Maybe I'm getting a hint? Lol.
If anyone is interested, I've read a couple of good books on Shamanism. I'd be happy to post the info here. Just let me know...

Reactions: Ben
OP
Ben

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
If anyone is interested, I've read a couple of good books on Shamanism. I'd be happy to post the info here. Just let me know...
Ohhh yay! Please do. Much as I know that Nature sects have so much crossover I know very little about the workings of Shamanism. If you can post some informative links I'll sticky them. Thank you :D

Reactions: Stargazer

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
I've long been interested in any links between Druidry and the Pleiadians I communicate with. I have a very strong tie with the the lands, which I felt as overwhelming when I visited there many years before awakening to any of this. Seeing the divine in everything is a very strong element in what I write about via transmission with them. And when I do a voice channel, there is a distinctly Irish-like sound and feel to the words. So there's that, plus I found while reading about Tara that the ancient Irish spelling (one of them) is Teamhair, and the original home of my crew (and myself, in some sense) is called Temmer, a planet in the vicinity of Taygeta.

The idea of a colony of Pleiadian travelers living there, perhaps viewed as the Tuatha de Danann or Sidhe, has always intrigued me. Was Tir na n'Og a place they lived, apart from the original inhabitants of the isles? Or maybe Hy Brasil? I've never truly believed that these places, or Avalon or any such, are merely imagination, but that they have some foundation in a forgotten reality.

Anyway, perhaps there is some ancient connection... it has thus far eluded me, but I haven't had the ability to delve too far into the intricacies of Druidism. I will share what I have come across, as I would love to have more insight from someone who's in it!

Thanks for such an informative post, Ben!

Bill

The magic has always been within you.
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 21, 2016
From Kansas, living in Texas
Damn you Ben! Now here is another thread I am getting hooked in and a whole new area of examination (druidism) for me to explore. My areas of interest as a result of the RT here are expanding way faster than my capacity to uptake more knowledge. I also find that I've been drawn previously to learn more about the Tuatha de Danann (curiosity originally tweaked by Martin a year+ ago on the FB transients page). Even had planned out a trip to Ireland to dive in deeper but had to pull the plug on it at the time. And the Pleiadians link that Maryann mentions above also resonates with me. There is something here for me...will find a way to dig deeper. Thanks for capturing me!

V

VagusMagus

I have just purchased an Ogham tarrot set. It is my first tarrot set.

I walked into a crystal shop last week only after some incense and after some small talk i mentioned the Ogham (as you do). The proprieter disapeared then reapeared with an old tarrot set about 30 years old based upon the Ogham.

It was in a lovely wooden case and came with a very informative book. The cards were beautifully hand illustrated.

I have never touched a tarrot set before and had a dream once about a tarrot set that contained trees. After beginning my bardship in Druidry, my interest in the Ogham is unfathomable at present and growing daily so I took this as a sign.

After I had left the store I searched online and immediately ound a set at a good price. It is second hand but is being sent from " Cornwall", God's country!

I will update further when it arrives and i try them out....

Below is a link to say if you are interested, I hope this Amazon link is acceptable?

/|\

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1859063829/ref=pd_aw_sim_sbs_14_2/254-1686367-5596813?ie=UTF8&dpID=61Hr0eEUDLL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100,100_&psc=1&refRID=V0HK42M96BWGXKKWXZ70

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
What I find very interesting is that there are so many people who feel connections to so many different Star Families. Lyran, Andromedan, and so many more. I'm glad that there are others like me who feel some Pleiadian ties--and Tolec claims to be from Dakote (also near Taygeta, I believe). I truly feel that we ALL have roots hidden among the stars. And, after all, aren't we really just made from stardust! :)

Maryann, it's interesting that you mentioned Hy Brasil. Have you heard about its connection with the Rendlesham Forest incident in England? I think it was around 1982. If I remember the story correctly, one of the British Air Force Policemen touched the skin of a UFO that had landed in the forest. At that time, he believes he received an instant data download of some type. Many years later, he wrote out pages and pages of ones and zeroes from memory. When he finally realized it was binary code and had it translated, it gave the coordinates for...Hy Brasil! It was a very cool account and I'm sure there's even more there to discover than we realize.

Not sure if that's helpful, but I just thought I'd mention it.

<3
Yes and rather than get too off-topic, this would be an excellent topic for the Starseed board! There be mysteries upon mysteries to explore :cool:

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
Your piqueing an interest on a topic I touched on in my reading. Your convincing me to dive deeper into. I grew up in and live in a major city (Toronto) yet all my life I always escaped to the wilderness forests of the north for a special peace I can find no where else. I rwcently bought property there and can't get there often enough. Then I just hate to leave. I feel the life force of the trees and animals therein. This Druidism, like shamanism is starting to attract me more and more. Ty for giving me something to think about and delve a little deeper into. :)

OP
Ben

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
Your piqueing an interest on a topic I touched on in my reading. Your convincing me to dive deeper into. I grew up in and live in a major city (Toronto) yet all my life I always escaped to the wilderness forests of the north for a special peace I can find no where else. I rwcently bought property there and can't get there often enough. Then I just hate to leave. I feel the life force of the trees and animals therein. This Druidism, like shamanism is starting to attract me more and more. Ty for giving me something to think about and delve a little deeper into. :)
You are more than welcome Brother. I think anyone that has a serious attraction to nature cannot help at some point being absorbed in a practice such as Druidry or Shamanism, the cap really does fit. Like your good self, I am most at home in mountains, near rivers, caves, lakes and especially trees. Sitting here typing this now I can see trees in the village through my window but it's nothing compared to the pull I feel to go back to the wilderness the moment I leave it. It's not a bad addiction/vice to have though hey?

If and when it suits you, I'd love to see a picture of your Northern wilderness so I may connect to it's energy. Aside from being plugged into it, this is the next best thing. Plus...I've always liked you and I'd like to know more about this place you hold special.

:)

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I can post many more including close ups of the lot if you wish. Lemme know what your looking for. BTW your always welcome to visit. I think you'll like it there. Many have rtol me they didn't understand why I spoke so highly of the place till they visited it. The area has a magical hold on people.

OP
Ben

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
Oh wow it's gorgeous, I can see the pull there for you 110% :eek: Is it Alaska? (Forgive my ignorance).

It would be an honour to visit, what a lovely thing to offer someone. Yes more pictures are always welcome but we should probably keep this thread on topic (don't worry...my fault for taking it off LOL).

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
Look it up on google earth for more context. That is my weekend get away for now. I do a lot of fishing there as well as R&R. The cabin is still under construction about 75% done. The structure was built by a local contractor and I am finishing the interior. I was working there the last 2 weeks I waan't here. Doing insulation electrical and panelling work. Once done I will retire soon after and spend most of my summers there.

Attachments

Reactions: Ben and Stargazer
OP
Ben

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
Look it up on google earth for more context. That is my weekend get away for now. I do a lot of fishing there as well as R&R. The cabin is still under construction about 75% done. The structure was built by a local contractor and I am finishing the interior. I was working there the last 2 weeks I waan't here. Doing insulation electrical and panelling work. Once done I will retire soon after and spend most of my summers there.
You are the living embodiment of my life plan! Sounds absolutely idyllic!

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
I'll gently bring it on topic by adding that it looks like a groovy Druid hangout! I bet there be lots of fae and friendly spirits to commune with at length. Lovely watery embrace, too.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
Once I get done I would love to host a transients party there. I think the place would fit nicely with our mindsets. Take an astral trip there Maryann. I think you'll like it there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)