Do you have a memorable experience around star gazing? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
When I lived west of the Blue Mountains in NSW, Australia (renting a 5 acre property surrounded by about 100 acres of farmland at the time), there was a great view of the night sky, as it was at about 2, 500 feet above sea level. With no city or light pollution, it was very clear.

But some of my favorite stargazing spots were in Peru, ranging from about 10,000-14,000 feet. I was traveling around to a number of locations back then in 2011, including Bolivia, as I was on a plant medicine spiritual journey. I will never forget the night I had ayahuasca for the first time over there, and I went outside of the maloca and looked up at the stars.

Do you have a memorable experience around star gazing?

Below is a photo I took from an island on Lake Titicaca while in Peru.

1669655_10153830557600057_411099845_o.jpg

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com
Just about any time I've been camping has been a memorable time for me. I can recall one time back in the 1970's when I went to a boy scout camp in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. We were all gathered around a campfire, listening to some very cool stories, and staring up at the stars. Back then there wasn't quite as much light pollution and I can remember being in absolute AWE at the smattering of lights against an inky black sky.

In much more recent times, my teenage son has taken up photography and LOVES to take time-lapse photos of the night sky. My wife and I go with him fairly often, so we take our beach chairs up onto a hill near our home and we all chat while he's setting up his shots. It's always a good time...

;)

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
This is by far one of my most favourite things to do ever! I always used to lie outside as a child and just stare into the sky (we had a trampoline and I would take a blanket out and refuse to come indoors lol). I have always had a strong connection to the stars, and some very bizarre things have happened while stargazing. I have actually been saying to my husband lately how much I would really like to get out to some wide open space just so I can do it again. It's a bit hard with so many little ones though. For now I have to make do with sitting outside my house or viewing from my windows. Totally not the same thing :(

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
This is by far one of my most favourite things to do ever! I always used to lie outside as a child and just stare into the sky (we had a trampoline and I would take a blanket out and refuse to come indoors lol). I have always had a strong connection to the stars, and some very bizarre things have happened while stargazing. I have actually been saying to my husband lately how much I would really like to get out to some wide open space just so I can do it again. It's a bit hard with so many little ones though. For now I have to make do with sitting outside my house or viewing from my windows. Totally not the same thing :(
Make an event out of it and get them started early! Why not find some interesting stories about the stars to share with them as they grow...they'll remember those times with you and treasure them forever...
<3

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
I'd love to, but it's not as easy to arrange as you might think lol. 6 kids aged 1-11 (some who have school) & a husband who works nights, doesn't make for very practical stargazing outings lol. One day we soon we will make it work though! I am nothing if not determined!! :D

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
I'd love to, but it's not as easy to arrange as you might think lol. 6 kids aged 1-11 (some who have school) & a husband who works nights, doesn't make for very practical stargazing outings lol. One day we soon we will make it work though! I am nothing if not determined!! :D
Oh, my...I guess not! LOL...well, backyard campfires and s'mores can be pretty cool. In my area, with high fire danger, we have a nice propane setup that's safe to use. Good luck!

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Hmmm...I will have to figure something out lol. We only have a smallish backyard with obstructed views on all sides, inhabited by a rather large dog too lol. It's making me a bit sad lol. Also, we don't have proper smores here-no graham crackers in Australia & everything else is apparently a poor substitute :/

...Here I was thinking life was grand & I'm only just now realising how much I'm actually missing out on! Haha :p

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
i go and look at the stars every night if they are visible, its something that soothes me so much, i can feel home when i look at the stars. it is always memorable... the memories that come to my mind to share here right now are: september last year with the lunar eclipse, that was epic! i set the alarm early so i had plenty of time to watch the stars and being such an early time there was no light pollution, all was visible and it was simply magical. there was the feeling of such a great party going on in the less dense spheres of being, but the trees and the grass were also in awe that night.
the other is when i was 4 years old, my parents woke me up in the middle of the night (i was a huge stargazing fan even then and i told them i wanted to see it) for watching a meteor shower. that is one of the few really nice childhood memories... the sky was so clear and i really saw the orbit-connections inside the galaxy and the planets and the shooting stars dancing amongst these lines of light and energy, and then there was this huge object outlined with light - i asked what that was but my parents couldnt see it. after some time i got so tired i just fell asleep then sitting on that garden-chair :)

Tammy Kilgore

Lover of the the Light
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Pontiac, Illinois (USA)
I've had so many!!

From seeing stars flashing red white and blue to seeing them literally being moved. Although I honestly don't think they were stars. They had strings attached to them and moved ever so slowly.
My husband tried to tell me it was an airplane.
Ha! It sure wasn't.
That is until a REAL airplane sped on by at a much faster speed.
At least he acknowledged it was moving.
But for whatever reason couldn't take anything away from it like I did. I'm am like HELLO--a star doesn't move like that and it's not an airplane. And you're not just smitten with this visual? ✨

Oh well. They'll see when they're ready, right!

The stars speak to me in such a way I cannot describe. It is soothing and fascinating all wrapped into one. I think perhaps its though I look to say hello to my fellow light family( whom I've met btw), out there and there's always that longing for home. ✨

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
Make an event out of it and get them started early! Why not find some interesting stories about the stars to share with them as they grow...they'll remember those times with you and treasure them forever...
<3
In fact, I've often shared with my son that many indigenous tribes have similar creation stories, where their ancestors came from the sky--and that many believe that life was intelligently seeded from the Pleiades. I pointed the star cluster out to him once, and he frequently asks me to point it out for him during the times of year it's visible here. He mentioned these tales to his girlfriend the other day and she was all too eager to borrow my copy of Ardy Sixkiller Clarke's book, "Encounters With Star People".

So I'm pleased to say I know of two young people whose minds are sufficiently "open" to accept the fact that we have benevolent "Star Family" all over the Cosmos!

Last edited:

Tammy Kilgore

Lover of the the Light
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Pontiac, Illinois (USA)
In fact, I've often shared with my son that many aboriginal and native tribes have similar creation stories, where their ancestors came from the sky--and that many believe that life was intelligently seeded from the Pleiades. I pointed the star cluster out to him once, and he frequently asks me to point it out for him during the times of year it's visible here. He mentioned these tales to his girlfriend the other day and she was all too eager to borrow my copy of Ardy Sixkiller Clarke's book, "Encounters With Star People".

So I'm pleased to say I know of two young people whose minds are sufficiently "open" to accept the fact that we have benevolent "Star Family" all over the Cosmos!
Boy am I having a hard time hitting the correct icon on my phone. But LOVE it!!

You must read what I Just posted.
I think I've met another star soul family member!! Hello star brother!!

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Camping on beach of island along Texas Gulf Coast - only boat access and we were the only ones on the island
Watching stars, moon, and waves - felt like we were the only people on the earth.
For someone who has spent most of her life in one city or another, watching the night sky away from civilization is like being in another world.

OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Boy am I having a hard time hitting the correct icon on my phone. But LOVE it!!!
One of the benefits of this forum may be improving the accuracy of the fingers of mobile users, great stuff! :p

I can recall one time back in the 1970's when I went to a boy scout camp in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. ...In much more recent times, my teenage son has taken up photography and LOVES to take time-lapse photos of the night sky.
Perhaps one day I will visit the Sierra Mountains over there. Sounds like a pretty good spot! I've never seen time-lapse done in person, but I'm sure that is a great way to be in nature because of how long it takes.

...and some very bizarre things have happened while stargazing.
I have a story to tell about an experience with an owl flying over my head out of nowhere while stargazing alone and then having an astral projection experience soon after when I went inside to bed — I found myself in a spare bedroom looking out the window at three disc shaped UFOs hovering near the house. I felt the owl was part of an a screen memory for an abduction experience that night. I also felt I was connecting back with those I knew and doing some important work with.

...so i had plenty of time to watch the stars and being such an early time there was no light pollution, all was visible and it was simply magical.
That does sound really magical. Thanks for sharing. :)

From seeing stars flashing red white and blue to seeing them literally being moved. Although I honestly don't think they were stars. They had strings attached to them and moved ever so slowly.
My husband tried to tell me it was an airplane.
I think I heard that story in Texas from your husband. :D
Camping on beach of island along Texas Gulf Coast - only boat access and we were the only ones on the island
That would have been perfect!

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
@Laron I have had some rather significant (to me) UFO sightings too actually! In fact, my mother has also had some interesting experiences as well & she was never particularly "into" that sort of thing, just never one to rule anything out.
One of my more memorable moments my mother was actually present for and it is still one of the most incredible things I have ever witnessed. I was babysitting for her friend & when she came to pick me up we drove home (only a couple of streets away) & I decided to look up at the stars before going inside. When I did I noticed two orange lights moving in the sky & after pointing them out to my mother and watching them for a little while we decided to drive back to her friend and get her outside to witness it too. They behaved erratically for a while and when they were finally finished one made a loud pop noise and shot off faster than anything I've ever seen before, & the other slowly set out in the same direction but flashed fading in & out until it just disappeared. It was a very surreal experience & one I will never forget! I'm just glad I had others there to back it up or I might feel crazy haha.

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Once i went star gazing with some friends in high school. The lighting was terrible. We picked the worst night as it was a full moon, and just, so much light pollution. But it was a time to hang out.
So there we were laying on a walking bridge with slim pickings to see. I point, enthusiastically, at a section of the sky exclaiming "look! There's a handful. " only soon after to clarify, "oh, wait. My eyes were crossed. " heheh lots of laughs ensued.

We don't get many chances to really see the stars. But once while my husband and i were driving across states to visit family, it was extremely dark and i suggested he pull over for a minute. It was PERFECT. We could see the milky way, which prior we had only seen pictures. We were lined with two walls of trees far enough away to get a great visual, and there was snow all around us, illuminating the already perfect view.

I've always wanted a good telescope and someday, i hope we can have a cabin in the middle of nowhere to enjoy the vastness that is.

Brian

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 28, 2016
California
I remember one time when I was using my telescope... One night I was moon gazing, (with a bit of star gazing here and there) and I saw a purple circle shaped craft on the moon. That is, I saw it zoom by whilst I was watching the moon through the lens. It went across the whole moon in about 10 seconds. After it left the backdrop of the moon, I lost it as it went on its way in outer space.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
The last 2 weeks up north were wonderful. Clear moonless nights. The Milky Way just shimmered in a radiant beauty. I'd light a camp fire and just stare at the sky. I saw many little lights just blinking at me with several that looked very high in the sky moving slowly amongst the stars. I'm sure some were satellites but I knew some were not.. I saw many meteors streak across the sky in short lived arcs. One in particular was a bright white one that left a long streak. Just spectacular. Those are my favorite kind of nights.......The meteor display was part of the Perseid meteor shower.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
@Laron, what a great idea for a thread. Stargazing as an Art.

@Vickie, some posts here for you in the UFO Zone. This thread may belong in your group, but I do love it here.

I love these stories. They are like flash short stories with the bonus of influencing us to look up.
Thanks, Krena but I think this beautiful thread is where it should be. It's mostly about the stars. It's funny how one can hardly look at the night sky without spotting a UFO these days.

We have been living out in the country for four years and there are few people out here so the sky is very dark at night. I used to sit on my back porch at night and look at all the stars. The Milky Way sparkles overhead and it's so quiet. It's just nature and me. I'll miss this place but it's time to move on.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I recalled another experience today.
The University of Texas has 2 telescopes on campus that are open to the public at different times.
I used to take my daughter and her friends to the older one. It is so cool - copper dome, installed in the 1930s, not electric, and lens is older and was ground in the late 1800s.
Going there was like stepping back in time. Getting to see through such a telescope was cool, too.

Lilia

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Jul 26, 2016
Vayuna, via Switzerland
oh right, now that you mention it @Linda when i was a child i always wanted to go to the local observatorium, there is one in the city i grew up in that opened on certain nights, they would focus the telescope on planets and star-groups, it was built in the 1800s i guess and i loved that too :) i went there with my mother at least 5 times a year
it also felt very special as in order to reach the tower people had to walk through an old restaurant that was decorated like in the 1920es and had to stand in a line to wait for the opening to be announced by an old man who was all dressed up like a gentleman of that era to announce whether the weather was fine enough.

T

Thomas Skelly

image.png My first real awe moment was on a carrier heading home from Australia. Crossing the equator. I sat out on the flight deck just mesmerized by it. Now we live in the country and I have a silo as my back drop, sort of like my compass to the stars. Interesting, and I have never gone to is a astronomy group that meets 20 minutes away in the black canyon which is the deepest canyon in the us.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
As I mentioned in a previous post, my son has been taking lots of photos of the stars for the past year or so. Last weekend, the missus and the boy and I coddiwompled (thanks, Linda!) to Davenport Beach so he could take some photos of the Milky Way. We sat on the beach for several hours after dark enjoying the waves and the stars. There were several groups of partyers on the beach, with about a dozen small campfires, so they lit up the night a bit--fortunately not enough to ruin his photos. The smell of woodsmoke and s'mores was very nice too!

This photo was his favorite of the evening. The rock poking up from the water is "Shark Fin Rock" and it was lit orange from the campfires. It was a panoramic photo (several photos edited together) and it was taken via time lapse. Be sure to click on the photo to see the full-sized image!

Attachments

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
As I mentioned in a previous post, my son has been taking lots of photos of the stars for the past year or so. Last weekend, the missus and the boy and I coddiwompled (thanks, Linda!) to Davenport Beach so he could take some photos of the Milky Way.
This photo was his favorite of the evening. The rock poking up from the water is "Shark Fin Rock" and it was lit orange from the campfires. It was a panoramic photo (several photos edited together) and it was taken via time lapse. Be sure to click on the photo to see the full-sized image!
Spectacular photograph - your son has quite a gift.
You might share this and other photos on the Creative Gallery Forum.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
My first real awe moment was on a carrier heading home from Australia. Crossing the equator. I sat out on the flight deck just mesmerized by it. Now we live in the country and I have a silo as my back drop, sort of like my compass to the stars. Interesting, and I have never gone to is a astronomy group that meets 20 minutes away in the black canyon which is the deepest canyon in the us.
We've been there on a vacation in our favorite state, Colorado. I did not realize it was the deepest canyon here, but it makes sense because there are places at the bottom that don't get any sunlight. To me it seems like a place of many mysteries. I have not seen the night sky very often in places like this (or on an ship in the ocean). It is humbling in one regard and makes you wonder what else you don't see, too.

Vickie

Roaming Contributor
Retired Moderator
Jul 23, 2016
Arkansas, USA
As I mentioned in a previous post, my son has been taking lots of photos of the stars for the past year or so. Last weekend, the missus and the boy and I coddiwompled (thanks, Linda!) to Davenport Beach so he could take some photos of the Milky Way. We sat on the beach for several hours after dark enjoying the waves and the stars. There were several groups of partyers on the beach, with about a dozen small campfires, so they lit up the night a bit--fortunately not enough to ruin his photos. The smell of woodsmoke and s'mores was very nice too!

This is a beautiful photo! It's very dark here too and on a clear night that's what I see too. I see it just that clear. An amazing picture!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)