DIY solar power forum (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
This forum is great for beginners and advanced hobbyists alike. It was created by Will Prowse, who runs a Youtube Channel with many videos of how-to and reviews of products related to off-grid and solar power, including "solar generators", which are not generators at all, they are just a battery pack with an invertor but all in one unit. Will started off living in his own RV and just got his first home in Oct 2019.

I learned some interesting things like:
  1. You cannot charge lithium batteries if the temperature is below 32F. So how do Teslas (which use lithium batteries) get charged in the winter?
  2. You can get cheap lead acid batteries for a solar battery bank if you ask the store for "old stock". A $150 battery might only be $29-49usd.

Free Forum: https://www.diysolarforum.com/index.php
Will's Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I'm gonna look into this. I have a solar system at camp.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
You cannot charge lithium batteries if the temperature is below 32F. So how do Teslas (which use lithium batteries) get charged in the winter
Batteries of all kinds drain very quickly at low temperatures. We saw this all the time in the mountains so kept any vital batteries close to our chests (literally).

Reactions: Pucksterguy

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
It'll be rainy and overcast most of the week. I'm gonna need the genny to run a few days to top up the batteries. On a sunny day it will charge at 45 amps. Only about 10 amps when it's cloudy.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Cool that you get that much even when it's cloudy.

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I want to create a solar farm near my house. I have a question how to calculate solar PV area?
your gonna have to ask an expert. Mine was set up to run a small cottage. I run a refrigerator a computer and LED lights. Anything with a heating element is verbotten. I run 4 250watt panels 6 batteries and the necessary electronics to make the system work. Power is fed into the breaker panel then distributed thru the house.

• Cool Post
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and Alain
OP
therium

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
I have a question how to calculate solar PV area?
You calculate the number of solar panels you need based on what voltage and amps you want to put into your battery system in the worst seasons, like winter when the sun does not produce much light (in the northern hemisphere). So if your battery system needs 14 volts (to charge a 12vdc system) and you want to put 40 amp hours into it each day, you look for solar panels that do that. So if a solar panel outputs 10amp hours on a cloudy day, at 14 volts, you would need 4 panels.

Size of the PV panel doesn't matter, it's electrical characteristics does, as characteristics for panels vary greatly via several variables, like the type of solar cell it uses (monocrystalline or polycrystalline), how sunny it is, the angle of the panels to the sun (sun's rays must strike the panels at 90 degrees), how dusty the panels are, etc. Even rain can leave minerals and dust on the panels when it dries, but that depends on where you live. Rain starts out as pure H2O but picks up particles of dust as it falls through the air.

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
i saw also if not mistaken that there are also exemplares that can turn dependant on the season

Reactions: Pucksterguy

Rebekah

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Wondering everyone's thoughts on solar power systems installed professionally. The contract and the pricetag and the feeling of them owning me instead of me buying a solar system is a bit overwhelming. My husband and I are educated and smart in many areas...but not DIY or electrical savvy!! Is it really do-able for normal people? Is wind power any easier?

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Good questions - what really works for an individual home. Solar does not work well on cloudy days and not at night. Wind does not work on quiet days. However, would they produce enough energy to store in batteries for limited use? Could there be enough energy to keep a refrigerator going, for instance. I know people are buying generators, but that presumes gasoline is available, which I suspect will be a problem.

Rebekah

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Exactly. We are on well water, so I just need enough to power the well and light the gas stove & gas furnace. I suppose for short periods I would like the freezers and refrigerator on the battery as well, but in the case of an extended outage, really water is our utmost concern.

Reactions: Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Well, Rebekah, we know what we need - now time for the universe to come through with some info.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
How much you can use solar vs wind vs whatever would depend on what is most available in your area. Any chance your neighbors or town council have info? Some places give grants for whatever they support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)