DIY solar power forum (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

therium

Involved Wayfarer
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
This forum is great for beginners and advanced hobbyists alike. It was created by Will Prowse, who runs a Youtube Channel with many videos of how-to and reviews of products related to off-grid and solar power, including "solar generators", which are not generators at all, they are just a battery pack with an invertor but all in one unit. Will started off living in his own RV and just got his first home in Oct 2019.

I learned some interesting things like:
  1. You cannot charge lithium batteries if the temperature is below 32F. So how do Teslas (which use lithium batteries) get charged in the winter?
  2. You can get cheap lead acid batteries for a solar battery bank if you ask the store for "old stock". A $150 battery might only be $29-49usd.
Free Forum: https://www.diysolarforum.com/index.php
Will's Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/errolprowse

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I'm gonna look into this. I have a solar system at camp.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
You cannot charge lithium batteries if the temperature is below 32F. So how do Teslas (which use lithium batteries) get charged in the winter
Batteries of all kinds drain very quickly at low temperatures. We saw this all the time in the mountains so kept any vital batteries close to our chests (literally).

Reactions: Pucksterguy

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
It'll be rainy and overcast most of the week. I'm gonna need the genny to run a few days to top up the batteries. On a sunny day it will charge at 45 amps. Only about 10 amps when it's cloudy.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Cool that you get that much even when it's cloudy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)