Dear "Skeptics," Bash Homeopathy and Bigfoot Less, Mammograms and War More (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
I’m a science journalist. I don’t celebrate science, I criticize it, because science needs critics more than cheerleaders. I point out gaps between scientific hype and reality. That keeps me busy, because, as you know,most peer-reviewed scientific claims are wrong.

So I’m a skeptic, but with a small S, not capital S. I don’t belong to skeptical societies. I don’t hang out with people who self-identify as capital-S Skeptics. Or Atheists. Or Rationalists.

When people like this get together, they become tribal. They pat each other on the back and tell each other how smart they are compared to those outside the tribe. But belonging to a tribe often makes you dumber.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/cross-check/dear-skeptics-bash-homeopathy-and-bigfoot-less-mammograms-and-war-more/

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
I love this article! I am a skeptic; I want to understand, not just take someone's word for it that something is as they say. I've worked in scientific environments a good deal of my professional life, and I know what goes on when it comes to wanting data to conform to an idea. Data can be considered malleable when there's money to be made. So, pay no attention to what's really going on with real people's experiences, just listen to the scientifics when they reel off reasons that you're a fool to entertain such nonsense. Science has betrayed itself. Dawkins gives me a headache. o_O

For the record, I ghost-wrote a book on homeopathy that was never published because the person who had their name on the cover got spooked by the potential (probable) attacks that would follow. The history of homeopathy is amazing. I'm so tired of so-called medical experts bashing it.

Thank you so much for posting this.

If I may respond with a piece of writing from one of my books, from a chapter called "Life Knows Its Origin: A Mathematical Tale"... which popped to mind as I read about Krauss' book about nothing:

A deep hole left by a stone that fell from the sky had zero energy in it, according to the most accurate readings the scientists could muster. Likewise it was with all holes, science said. Queasy from the otherwise negative effects such a finding implicated, the normally certain scientist-in-chief insisted that the machinery was miscalibrated and called for all equipment to be flatlined at zero and more readings to be taken. Frantically, it was done as he asked, but again, nothing registered. "Dear me," he thought, "now what? If we don't find something here, that means there's nothing here, but quite obviously there's a hole. Something is something; it cannot be nothing. Now we won't make mail route pick-up for another day and the grant money will be later in coming." Real dilemma for him this was, as his knowledge was at zero, his ability to pay his crew was at zero and now so was his scientific credibility to his profit-seeking, critical-minded source of support. And last but not least, whatever made the hole was also registering a big fat zero. Nothing was working.

Then his assistant said, "Sir, we have a reading." Amazed and dazed, he looked, and rubbed his eyes. Samples taken from the site not only registered a reading, they moved toward a new understanding of hole science altogether. What he saw were large flat nodes of energetic forms. That was all. There was nothing like a monumental godlike force of gravity reaching out to suck all the life from the area or nibble away at the perimeter of the massive hole. Nor was there a nothingness, lost and alone. Instead, he found what appeared to be nodes very faintly shimmering with life. Proof would take a little time but he had in fact found something. Soon he would have his chance to show God's true form.

How would such a proof be written? Thus. If at the middle of nothingness is something, then nothingness is not nothingness but somethingness. If at the middle of said somethingness is nothing more than a frequency form of so fast a vibratory rate that it is wandering into the generation of light, then quantum-sized particles of thought are communicating. Particles of matter are energy, and at the root of energy is life. Thus, with a little more work on the details, the scientist could base his discovery on oscillatory proof of life at the node of blackness at the center of the universe. Nothing would ever be the same again.

Men of science look at the question of "who?" and "what?" with equal quizzicalness as they look at questions of the same mundane sort as "by what mechanism?" or "of what type?" Neither of the first two questions really can be answered with the same kind of method of inquiry as the latter. God does not register on the kind of equipment a neutrino does, nor can the origin of thought be found by density separation or matter splitting. Round pegs do not fit in square holes.

OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
I love this article! I am a skeptic; I want to understand, not just take someone's word for it that something is as they say. I've worked in scientific environments a good deal of my professional life, and I know what goes on when it comes to wanting data to conform to an idea. Data can be considered malleable when there's money to be made. So, pay no attention to what's really going on with real people's experiences, just listen to the scientifics when they reel off reasons that you're a fool to entertain such nonsense. Science has betrayed itself. Dawkins gives me a headache. o_O

For the record, I ghost-wrote a book on homeopathy that was never published because the person who had their name on the cover got spooked by the potential (probable) attacks that would follow. The history of homeopathy is amazing. I'm so tired of so-called medical experts bashing it.

Thank you so much for posting this.

If I may respond with a piece of writing from one of my books, from a chapter called "Life Knows Its Origin: A Mathematical Tale"... which popped to mind as I read about Krauss' book about nothing:
"If at the middle of nothingness is something, then nothingness is not nothingness but somethingness" Isn't that wonderful? Thank you for posting that Maryann.

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
I love this thread.

I'm a trained Classical Homeopath (good ol' Hahnemann tradition), although currently not practicing as one, I just started my practice as an energy healer.

Regarding the controversies I am actually grown very tired of doing any discussions with these 'skeptics'. You can't open a thoroughly closed mind. Not theirs. Sometimes you just give up. :(

Years ago still I read a lot of peer reviewd scientific studies done over many years and meta-analyses too, even collected them as online links and downloaded pdfs. I had these discussions, mostly in vain. Most skeptics today would wonder how wrong they are with the evidence, since most meta-studies show positive results (verum group > placebo group) and all that. But how can they know if they only read about it from other skeptics?

Some who are not so close-minded have not chance to get the truth, maybe they think it's enough to rely on Wikipedia or any other mainstream outlet for "information". Does not surprise me since Wiki is solely written by 'skeptic' groups in the first place. Catch-22, vicious circle. :cool:;)

OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Greetings Sinera.....Lovely to see you here on the Round Table.

Great article hey? Like a drink of fresh water in the desert of silliness and hypocrisy we seem to inhabit at the moment.

If we have a forum member with a homoeopathy question Sinera would you be happy to help out?

I love homoeopathy but you have to understand energy to understand homoeopathy and many people just don't.

When I was working through my childhood abuse issues I real*eyesed that I would create homoeopathic situations that allowed me to release the original grief of the trauma.......it would not be as strong as the original but a watered down version. I have seen this in clients too. Do you understand me?

Sinera

Healer, Musician, Astral-Traveler
RT Supporter
Retired Moderator
Aug 12, 2016
astral-blog.weebly.com
When I was working through my childhood abuse issues I real*eyesed that I would create homoeopathic situations that allowed me to release the original grief of the trauma.......it would not be as strong as the original but a watered down version. I have seen this in clients too. Do you understand me?
Yes I think I know what you mean.

Since the best healing is done holistically and from the inside out, Homeopathy can lead to newer 'symptoms' that are actually a resurgence of 'old' symptoms. By this we release old diseases, stress, traumas we had in earlier years (even from childhood) but did not really overcome or cure.

Instead we did suppress it - as most of today's allopathic medicine does or many of our psychological mechanisms coping with traumatic experience do. So the suffering got stuck in our inner system and hinders the 'vital force' to act fully in order to maintain balance and may even lead to other illnesses later on as compensation. This sometimes means bringing it out as part of the healing process. It is a going back. Healing as a path that leads us home.

OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Yes I think I know what you mean.

Since the best healing is done holistically and from the inside out, Homeopathy can lead to newer 'symptoms' that are actually a resurgence of 'old' symptoms. By this we release old diseases, stress, traumas we had in earlier years (even from childhood) but did not really overcome or cure.

Instead we did suppress it - as most of today's allopathic medicine does or many of our psychological mechanisms coping with traumatic experience do. So the suffering got stuck in our inner system and hinders the 'vital force' to act fully in order to maintain balance and may even lead to other illnesses later on as compensation. This sometimes means bringing it out as part of the healing process. It is a going back. Healing as a path that leads us home.
Beautifully put Sinera. Thank you<3

Reactions: Stargazer

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Regarding the controversies I am actually grown very tired of doing any discussions with these 'skeptics'. You can't open a thoroughly closed mind. Not theirs. Sometimes you just give up... Catch-22, vicious circle. :cool:;)
Sometimes I feel the creationist Christians and mainstream scientists have met at that point where the circle of ignorance comes together. It is an exercise in monologue, usually, to talk to either end. A very lonely place indeed.

I'm so happy to see a "real" homeopath here! I've studied under an amazing man I'm privileged to call a friend (Manfred Mueller) but never codified the education to step into that profession. It's such a grand and beautiful science, in the true sense of the word. Homeopathy has saved my life more than once. <3 Respect.

OP
Pod

Pod

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Jul 19, 2016
Scotland
Sometimes I feel the creationist Christians and mainstream scientists have met at that point where the circle of ignorance comes together. It is an exercise in monologue, usually, to talk to either end. A very lonely place indeed.

I'm so happy to see a "real" homeopath here! I've studied under an amazing man I'm privileged to call a friend (Manfred Mueller) but never codified the education to step into that profession. It's such a grand and beautiful science, in the true sense of the word. Homeopathy has saved my life more than once. <3 Respect.
It's a love in yeah<3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)