Help Crystal Identification — Post your Photo Here - See Part Two (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Hello guys,

I bought this stone a few days ago, and was told it was a green aventurine.

However, when I look online, aventurine seems to be less transparent (this one is actually quite transparent in some places, more than the pictures show.) So i'm having doubts it's Aventurine.

From a quick google search, the color looked closer to me to Green Apophyllite.

But I don't know. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

View attachment 8978
View attachment 8979
I'd be surprised if that piece were aventurine.
Perhaps green apophyllite though I personally haven't seen that exact shade (which may not mean much).
I do note that it has a real sparkle which is something I do associate with apophyllite; both visually and via feel.

Rosebud98

Just Arrived
Jan 9, 2020
I've seen rose quartz that looked like the pink portion of this. That would make the redder parts probably iron containing quartz (or fire quarts or other names I can't recall now).
Do you think it could be a tangerine quartz? That was the only thing ive been able to find closest to it.
And i also guessed apatite for the dark green ( which i agree has such a beautiful color that im in love with) and ive guessed green aventurine for the lighter green. Do you guys think it could be green aventurine?8980

eatinice

Just Arrived
Jan 12, 2020
Hi there, I picked up this sphere recently but I'm a little conflicted about what it might be...If anyone recognizes it or has some guesses I'd really appreciate it! (My guess is that it is some type of agate? But I really want to be sure...) c7.jpgc2.jpgc1.jpgc3.jpgc5.jpg Thanks!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
eatinice that is lovely specimen. One of our experts is having internet issues, so it might take some time to get an answer.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: eatinice

eatinice

Just Arrived
Jan 12, 2020
Thanks Linda and Maryann. :) I did some more research and I think it actually might be a sardonyx agate. I got this for under $30 and it seems sardonyx agate is very common and the other spheres are around this same price range.

• Winner
Reactions: Maryann

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks Linda and Maryann. :) I did some more research and I think it actually might be a sardonyx agate. I got this for under $30 and it seems sardonyx agate is very common and the other spheres are around this same price range.
I can see why you are thinking sardonyx agate.
It's beautifully banded; like a little Jupiter. Even has a 'big red spot' (last pic):cool:

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Just ordered a mystery box and i have a few crystals that i cannot seem to identify. I have my suspicions on a few but just want to make sure.
In the big pic, lower right, the pinkish one looks like rose quartz.

If you got a bag of rocks from Amazon, which comes from China, I got the same bag. It's like 10lbs of stones or something like that.

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
However, when I look online, aventurine seems to be less transparent (this one is actually quite transparent in some places, more than the pictures show.) So i'm having doubts it's Aventurine.
Stones can vary quite a lot in color and transparency. That's what makes it hard to ID minerals. Even when I got a book (from Audobon) on minerals, they only display nearly perfect showpieces, not average pieces, so that STILL makes it hard to ID stuff I have. |-)

One thing you might do is find a nearby crystal store, go in with your piece and ask the person there, or compare it to other pieces that are already identified.

• Helpful Post

HollyBeans

Just Arrived
Dec 29, 2019
Denver, Colorado
Some Crystal backstory. The main one I'm having issues with. Is the one that kind of looks like melted pyrite. The crazy thing is that it is magnetic but "poller". So it pushes away instead of attracting. My Metal Detector even picks it up. I've taken it into a couple of Rock Stores, and no one knows what it is. If I can't find any information on here. I'm going to take it into a professor or museum.

The next one I believe is Aquamarine. I would just like to know what the white crystal is in the middle?

The rest I have no idea what they are.

Attachments

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
That first one led me on a hunt.
First, I queried rocks that repel magnets. I came up with a few intriguing sources, including this: https://sciencing.com/materials-do-magnets-repel-6872613.html which mentions 3 materials: carbon graphite, bismuth and silver.
Then, I asked for an image of carbon graphite. This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene showed me one that looks pretty similar to yours. It's a buckyball or fullerene or C60 (lots of different names for these awesome little gems).
: 9057

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
The fourth pic seems to have some perfect squares that look a lot like fluorite.

Elleyband

Just Arrived
Jan 26, 2020
Hi everybody! Is anybody able to help me identify this beauty? It just kinda showed up, out of the void (lol) and I’ve worn it virtually all the time since, but I have no idea how to differentiate between the different kinds of green stones, beyond the obvious characteristics.

It’s energy is absolutely beautiful to wear, and it’s smooth, dark olive, with these darker flecks dispersed inside, and lighter cracks in some portions, as you can see in the pictures below, and becomes visually more opaque when held to the light, accentuating the green, and the lovely flecks! I need to identify this, because it’s driving me mad not knowing please and thank you very much, folks! Happy to take additional photographs if necessary/not adequate depiction :)

F590D433-B444-4BBB-8043-AA276F945DF9.jpeg06754218-7882-48AA-B312-2D2244B52814.jpegA0456513-EFEA-4E80-A992-CB796E69D0D0.jpegE3D4AA2F-0745-4BA5-9D4A-70D9B0F38449.jpeg67F11F97-E37A-4048-805C-CD8A3870C0EE.jpegA9829907-6E73-488A-A5F3-DF10FE5AE006.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Cool Post

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Hi everybody! Is anybody able to help me identify this beauty?
I can see why you would want to wear it - gorgeous! We've got 2 people who are good at identification, who should be along tomorrow.

Elleyband

Just Arrived
Jan 26, 2020
I can see why you would want to wear it - gorgeous! We've got 2 people who are good at identification, who should be along tomorrow.
Thank you so much, I’ve been thinking about it for months and months, every time I fidget with it (regularly haha) Fingers crossed it’s a fun one for the experts! Really enjoying looking at everyone’s miscellaneous gems and the process of identifying!

• Love this post!

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Hi everybody! Is anybody able to help me identify this beauty?
I'm wondering if it is jade. I've got 2 pendants, one is rough stone and the other, highly polished. The second one does have some similarities to yours. Perhaps Lila or the birthday girl, Maryann might have some other ideas.

• Thank you!
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Elleyband and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Hi everybody! Is anybody able to help me identify this beauty? It just kinda showed up, out of the void (lol) and I’ve worn it virtually all the time since, but I have no idea how to differentiate between the different kinds of green stones, beyond the obvious characteristics.

It’s energy is absolutely beautiful to wear, and it’s smooth, dark olive, with these darker flecks dispersed inside, and lighter cracks in some portions, as you can see in the pictures below, and becomes visually more opaque when held to the light, accentuating the green, and the lovely flecks! I need to identify this, because it’s driving me mad not knowing please and thank you very much, folks! Happy to take additional photographs if necessary/not adequate depiction :)

View attachment 9085View attachment 9086View attachment 9087View attachment 9088View attachment 9089View attachment 9090
I agree that jade or jadeite seems very likely here.
If it had some shimmery/glittery inclusions that caught your eye it could be aventurine but I don't think I see that here.
I considered maw sit sit too but after looking at a bunch of images of it, that stone seems to have a distinctive swirling pattern of colors that I don't see here.
It's translucency is particularly beautiful.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Elleyband

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
That looks very much like New Zealand greenstone, or pounamu!! It's a specific type of jade particular to NZ. If so, you have a rare and valuable piece there. It's sacred to the Maori. You can find out a lot of info on it online.

from Wikipedia:
"Pounamu plays a very important role in Māori culture. It is considered a taonga (treasure) and therefore protected under the Treaty of Waitangi. Pounamu taonga increase in mana (prestige) as they pass from one generation to another. The most prized taonga are those with known histories going back many generations. These are believed to have their own mana and were often given as gifts to seal important agreements."

• Divine
  • Love this post!

Elleyband

Just Arrived
Jan 26, 2020
That looks very much like New Zealand greenstone, or pounamu!! It's a specific type of jade particular to NZ. If so, you have a rare and valuable piece there. It's sacred to the Maori. You can find out a lot of info on it online.

from Wikipedia:
"Pounamu plays a very important role in Māori culture. It is considered a taonga (treasure) and therefore protected under the Treaty of Waitangi. Pounamu taonga increase in mana (prestige) as they pass from one generation to another. The most prized taonga are those with known histories going back many generations. These are believed to have their own mana and were often given as gifts to seal important agreements."
Firstly, happy birthday! Thank you for taking the time to post!
And secondly, Wow, thank you each so much for the suggestions. I kinda can’t believe that jade didn’t occur to me now, because (I think) the texture of the polish, is pretty bang on for it. I will absolutely do a bit more research of my own to confirm. It definitely has it’s own beautifully unique feel to it, totally unlike any other jade I have seen or touched before. Maybe that’s why it didn’t leap out as jade intuitively.. if it is indeed a piece of Pounamu, I feel very fortunate to have it with me. Either way, it’s being treasured, but to know the potential significance of it’s background is magnificent! I’ll have a dig and see what I can find/think about taking it to a physical gemstone enthusiast for identification. My personal enthusiasm is truly peaked! Much gratitude!! :3

• Love this post!

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Thank you :) To be sure, best to ask someone who has eyeball identification for pounamu… like probably Laron

OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Is anybody able to help me identify this beauty?
Likely nephrite jade.

And if anyone is wondering what the difference is between nephrite , jade, pounamu, greenstone, and jadeite, here's a good explanation.

AND the shape of the crystal is a common greenstone shape sold as part of necklaces at markets and shops here in New Zealand.

Last edited:
  • Intriguing Post
  • Cool Post

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Hi! Wondering if anyone recognizes this?
Interesting stone. We've got a couple of people who are pretty good at identification, and they should be around tomorrow.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Hi! Wondering if anyone recognizes this? Ive researched for a while and haven't seen anything that quite looks like it.
Thanks!
I'm thinking that those little 'bits' look like fossilized or jasperized (is that a verb) organic matter. There are various ones out there that can have dots, though I agree this one does look unique to my experience too; fossilized palm, coral and bacteria are ones that come to mind as having patterns of dots. Each seem to have their own pattern.
Yours is, as you say, unique.
What particularly intrigues me is that this stone's dots appear not only to have a circular pattern within them:cool:. There are also several clusters of dots close together on the same stone. How intriguing!
Wonder how that happened?
A cluster of various types of reeds or other plant material all getting fossilized together?
Different conditions creating different color patterns?
Bacteria at different life stages?

I do think it's likely significant that there are circular patterns within the dots. These speak to me of something which was once alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)