Help Crystal Identification — Post your Photo Here - See Part Two (3 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Karen

Just Arrived
Nov 29, 2019
Hello. I am new to the world of crystals and wondered if I might ask for some advice please.

I recently purchased two pieces from Ebay and I feel like they might be fake but wanted to get some experienced opinions before I took any action, incase I am wrong!

The first piece is a tigers eye tower. The corner arrived chipped off and to me it looks like a veneer of tigers eye has been but over some kind of brown chalky material. The bottom has no veneer and is just the Matt brown surface. Does tigers eye chip or flake to reveal an unpolished layer?

The second piece I am less sure about but it is from the same seller, which made me wary. When I opened it, it smelt strongly chemical (which could be the packing material) but I'm not sure about how the points (or lack of them) are formed. They seemed kind of blunt. Like I said, I am new to looking at crystals, so perhaps this is a legitimate crystal.

I would be very grateful for any advice or thoughts and appreciate anyone who can shed some light on these pieces for me.
Many thanks, Karen

Attachments

• Intriguing Post
Reactions: Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Hi Karen, I understand the wariness of buying on line. I see you are in the UK, otherwise I would suggest buying from my local rock shop. There are others here who are more knowledgeable in identification and should be along to help, but I will say the second photo does look like a veneer. Have you tried an online search of rock shops in your country?

Karen

Just Arrived
Nov 29, 2019
Hi Linda
Thank you for your comments. I definately will not be buying online in the same way again. Have some done some research for shops I might be able to travel to now!

I'm also eager to report a bogus Ebay seller as I wouldn't like other people to be disappointed in the same way.

Shame I cant make it to your shop

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Definitely be wary of online sellers, especially from China, but that doesn't mean there aren't good sellers from China as well. There's a link posted above to information about synthetic rocks being sold as legit natural ones. That flaking on the supposed tiger's eye looks very suspicious, as does the formation of the crystals on the other. I've not seen tiger's eye do that, but honest the patterning looks more like jasper than tiger's eye. But jasper shouldn't flake like that either.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Karen, I'm glad you've posted this and made it known as I believe that doing so helps us all.
Personally, it boggles my mind how much work it would take to try to fake stones such as these.
I like holding stones in my hand to get a 'feel' for them. This is both a pleasure and instructive. Having said that, I've bought rocks online and loved them!

Reactions: Maryann

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
View attachment 8425what would you say the pink stone is? I am used to seeing rose quartz lighter pink in color. Can the intensity vary?
I suspect the orange stone is heat treated amethyst.
I just saw this on my Twitter feed and remembered this mysterious pink stone... do you think it might be something like this? Platy pink rhodonite:

Screen Shot 2019-12-12 at 11.58.34 PM.png

• Winner
Reactions: Lila and Linda

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I just saw this on my Twitter feed and remembered this mysterious pink stone... do you think it might be something like this? Platy pink rhodonite:

View attachment 8509
You know, it is possible. I just can’t say 100%. I tested it & it is a form of quartz. I also found this website that identifies different minerals from the red family:

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Hm, not sure how you test for high manganese content... that's what wikipedia notes about it... rhodochrosite, though, not rhodonite, my bad. Here's a pic from there that's very similar to the one you're holding:
Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 1.31.28 PM.png

• Winner
Reactions: Anaeika

Issy

Involved Wayfarer
Apr 8, 2018
Somewhere over the rainbow
Hello, I'm back again!

A couple of weeks ago, I found and connected immediately with this beautiful crystal. The problem is, I cannot - for the life of me - figure out what it is! I think it's Vanadinite or Carnelian grown upon another lighter-coloured rock(?), but some clarification would be great. If there's any other crystals that it'd work well with, do let me know :)

Last edited:
  • Love this post!

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
It appears to have the distinctive crystalline structure of vanadinite, so I’d lean more toward that. As it helps you with accomplishing what you set out to do, depending on what that is, you could pair it with all kinds of things to boost your intention, whether that’s development or healing or … ? Nice piece, looks like it does need a partner though. Self-sufficient on its own, but part of a puzzle for you to put together with another energy. Have fun!

• I agree

Dal4112

Just Arrived
Jan 1, 2020
Hello, wondering if someone can identify this rock. Cant pin point what it is. When i shine i light on it its actually translucent green. Pretty cool you would never be able to tell by the look.

Attachments

• Cool Post
OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Hello, wondering if someone can identify this rock. Cant pin point what it is. When i shine i light on it its actually translucent green. Pretty cool you would never be able to tell by the look.
It really helps us when you follow the instructions in the original post Dal! :)

It’s important to include a photo of the crystal in natural light, so outside is best. When inside you have shadows that cause color changes, but also what surrounds the crystal can influence the way it looks.

I tend to sometimes apply filters and increase the contrast and/or brightness of photos, but make sure you don’t for this purpose, so have an unedited photo, otherwise it makes it harder to identify.

It can also help to have a plain background behind the crystal with your photo. Also, if the crystal is a lighter color, use a darker background, and if it’s a darker colored crystal, use a lighter background.

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
Thanks, Laron, I have now looked on line and found how good fake opals are. The price of this necklace was so ridiculously low if has to be fake, but that’s fine by me I bought it purely because I loved the look of it.

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila and Laron

Rosebud98

Just Arrived
Jan 9, 2020
Hi guys im new here. Just ordered a mystery box and i have a few crystals that i cannot seem to identify. I have my suspicions on a few but just want to make sure. 8965

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Rosebud98 you have some interesting pieces there. We've got a couple of people who are good at identification, and they should be along in a few hours.

Rosebud98

Just Arrived
Jan 9, 2020
Thank you for your reply Linda! I just got these today and am very excited to know what they are. Unfortunately i couldnt figure it out myself with my book about crystals or online. :( im thinking the light green is green aventurine and thats the only one i think i may have right. Let me know if i should add better pics, thanks guys.

deon10

Just Arrived
Jan 10, 2020
Hello guys,

I bought this stone a few days ago, and was told it was a green aventurine.

However, when I look online, aventurine seems to be less transparent (this one is actually quite transparent in some places, more than the pictures show.) So i'm having doubts it's Aventurine.

From a quick google search, the color looked closer to me to Green Apophyllite.

But I don't know. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Beautiful stone and looks similar to the one in the previous post.
Our two experts, Lila and Maryann should be along soon to see if they can you all sorted.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
the color looked closer to me to Green Apophyllite.
How does it feel when you hold it? Apophyllite has a powerful calming feel. It does look like it could be, from the linear look of the crystal.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Here they are by themselves.
Top one looks like jasper (ocean jasper?) and the bottom one kinda looks like apatite, in which case it’s very nice! But not sure of the others. Not really sure of that apatite, just going by color and that the crystals are on the small side.

deon10

Just Arrived
Jan 10, 2020
How does it feel when you hold it? Apophyllite has a powerful calming feel. It does look like it could be, from the linear look of the crystal.
To be honest i might not be as in tune with subtle feelings like that as I would like. If I had to choose, yes it feels like a light nice energy and not heavy, but it could be just me feeling that way after reading about it.

So would you say it doesn't look much like aventurine?

Thank you

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I will post another pic of the clear one by itself since its kinda hard to seeView attachment 8966
I've seen rose quartz that looked like the pink portion of this. That would make the redder parts probably iron containing quartz (or fire quarts or other names I can't recall now).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)