Help Crystal Identification — Post your Photo Here - See Part Two (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorcranage

Just Arrived
Aug 1, 2018
hey everyone! i’m new here, hope i posted this correctly. i took this guy to my local rock shop and the owner told me it was a moroccan quartz. needless to say i was a little skeptical about that....anybody know what i have here?08E64B6B-074A-4760-BAC1-6B692179EB34.jpegFCF3B354-6D4B-4071-A945-5DB6F1F5F1A3.jpeg

Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Quartz does seem likely to my eye.
Maybe some zeolites too, giving that tan/orange tinge?

It's beautiful.
Where did you get it from?

OP
Laron

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
That looks like a clear quartz cluster.

Clear quartz can have a different color beneath it based on another type of crystal and the rock it's manifested/grown in.

I have a clear quartz cluster from the desert here in Arizona which is somewhat similar. I will find the picture and post it below. I think it's on my instagram.

clear quartz.jpg

Even though there are a lot of shades of brown, most of the top of it, if you could see it from a different angle, is just clear quartz. The coloring is coming from between the points.

Reactions: Lila and Snowmelt

taylorcranage

Just Arrived
Aug 1, 2018
thanks for your answers! i actually picked it up from a shop in pennsylvania that has things shipped in from all over so i can’t say exactly where its from. it was labeled when i bought it but since then i’ve forgotten what it was and i’m sure i would have remembered something as simple as quartz. it sure does look like some sort of quartz i just wish i knew exactly what. hopefully this picture helps you understand what im saying
99405CD0-239F-42BC-9496-C661A6E61FBA.jpeg

taylorcranage

Just Arrived
Aug 1, 2018
oops! what i meant to say was that none of the points really seem all that pointy but rather sort of rounded? not sure if that matters or helps

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I have a pendant of a similar color, and it is Tangerine Quartz. It gets its color from iron oxide and much of it is found in Brazil.

Reactions: Snowmelt
OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz

Manderface

Just Arrived
Aug 10, 2018
3463685C-367C-4744-BC21-B347389B199B.jpeg738E13B0-9CF0-4023-960B-2A81CA1B2870.jpeg
I know I need to take some in natural light but it is night here at the moment and will try to take some tomorrow. I have a handful of rocks and stones I kept that were my grandmothers after she passed away. I know what all the other ones are but I can’t figure out what this is? Any ideas?

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
At first glance it sure looks like a green fluorite which can also be called natural green fluorite or emerald fluorite, but fluorite is meant to have cubes inside it most of the time, but can form in other shapes, it's just uncommon.

The other thing is may be is a green quartz, aka vermarine or prasiolite, but then it looks like there is some heat treatment which may be interntional or natural.

Let's see what others think!

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I wear a necklace of green fluorite beads, which I find very grounding.

In the picture are:

top: green fluorite beads (note the fluorite is almost translucent. There are a couple of amethysts in there as well, I think).

middle: green soapstone beads (each bead is carved)

bottom: something pretty I wear which has green stones, I'm not sure what they are

Vedi's stone necklaces.jpg

Reactions: Laron

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
View attachment 5128View attachment 5129
I know I need to take some in natural light but it is night here at the moment and will try to take some tomorrow. I have a handful of rocks and stones I kept that were my grandmothers after she passed away. I know what all the other ones are but I can’t figure out what this is? Any ideas?
Is there any chance it could be glass? In the picture (this may not be the case in real life) it looks almost molten to me, like glass that is melted.
It's a beautiful green colour, whatever it is!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I wear a necklace of green fluorite beads, which I find very grounding.

In the picture are:

top: green fluorite beads (note the fluorite is almost translucent. There are a couple of amethysts in there as well, I think).

middle: green soapstone beads (each bead is carved)

bottom: something pretty I wear which has green stones, I'm not sure what they are

View attachment 5132
Are the last green ones aventurine?

Manderface

Just Arrived
Aug 10, 2018
Is there any chance it could be glass? In the picture (this may not be the case in real life) it looks almost molten to me, like glass that is melted.
It's a beautiful green colour, whatever it is!
I was wondering if it might be glass myself. But I couldn’t tell!

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
So with the new photos it could be green obsidian. Green obsidian is found from central Mexico through Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica.

green_glass_01.jpg
Source: http://star-news.info/2017/11/16/mysterious-green-glass-unearthed-in-irvington/

21d403cf5bca2507b99205f7e079064b.jpg
Source: https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/834291899691786921/?lp=true

I think obsidian more closely matches what you have rather than flourite or green quartz. The strange part about it is the white layer underneath and the hard thing to work out if it is man made that as melted off of something, or real obsidian!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
So with the new photos it could be green obsidian. Green obsidian is found from central Mexico through Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica

View attachment 5162
Source: http://star-news.info/2017/11/16/mysterious-green-glass-unearthed-in-irvington/

View attachment 5163
Source: https://www.pinterest.nz/pin/834291899691786921/?lp=true!

I think obsidian more closely matches what you have rather than flourite or green quartz. The strange part about it is the white layer underneath and the hard thing to work out if it is man made that as melted off of something, or real obsidian!
Those are beautiful pictures of green obsidian. That would be a real find! I believe that the name andara is sometimes used for coloured obsidian.

Obsidian has been called 'volcanic glass'.
I gather this is because it's made of similar material and made in a similar way, although obsidian is forged in the earth and glass in a glass forge. Both would use high temperatures.

I agree that the white portions underneath feel like an important clue.

Reactions: Snowmelt and Laron

Manderface

Just Arrived
Aug 10, 2018
The actual green part looks just like the obsidian.. it almost looks as if the white part was attached to it? Or like previously said if it was somehow heated together. I don’t know lol I will love it no matter what and will keep it in my collection but it would be nice to know what it is!

taylorcranage

Just Arrived
Aug 1, 2018
for anyone still curious, i took the cluster we all thought to be tangerine quartz back to the shop where i found it and it turns out its calcite. the green one looks like it might also be a green calcite

Reactions: Linda and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
for anyone still curious, i took the cluster we all thought to be tangerine quartz back to the shop where i found it and it turns out its calcite. the green one looks like it might also be a green calcite
Ah, I could picture that... with a bit difference in lighting.
Calcite is some of my favourite stone now that I have lucked across a beautiful assortment, with a variety of colours. Sometimes it just shines amazingly. These do<3

Reactions: Linda

JasperMae

Just Arrived
Sep 5, 2018
Hello all!! I recently found my small bag of assorted stones from my childhood and would love to know what they are :) any help is appreciated as i am very new to this!36C169F2-9441-467D-962A-2E0999431E60.jpeg7067FD3A-C840-4231-9DF1-C18467D62709.jpegBDD5A966-4F00-441E-8FF9-BBC7124A9A4E.jpeg

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Hi JasperMae ,

Nice collection you have from your childhood.
The black one with white spots is snowflake obsidian. You also have pyrite & some quartz. A lot of your tumbled stones have been color treated, which for me, makes them harder to identify since they are not in their original state. What often happens is the discarded pieces used for lapidary work are small and thrown into a tumbler.

The heavy dark silver one is hematite.

That’s what I know from the top of my head. I would need to get my book out for the rest.

Reactions: Snowmelt

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I got the same ones as Anaeika - not because I'm an expert but because I have some of the same. The others are very pretty, but I don't think they are in their original color, either.

snowflake obsidian - top row, far right pix - spotted stone
possible Apache Tear (also obsidian) - same pix as above - just below spotted stone
pyrite - glittery one - second row from bottom, far right pix
quartz - same pix as pyrite
hematite - second row from bottom - middle pix
possible oyster shell if the piece is flat - last row, far right pix - bottom left stone in hand

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I generally agree with above comments. It's hard to tell with some of the lighting, etc but I think you may have some really nice ones in there too. I'll speculate on a few additional ones that I feel a bit more sure about:

In the second photo the top right + bottom left look like green aventurine to me.
Pic 5's top left + bottom right stones could be lapis lazuli IF they contain gold flecks.
In pic 6 the bottom one may be rhodonite.
Pic 7 has a stone in the top right with a chevron (like this: ^) stripe in it that is often found in chevron amethyst. If so, it has been coloured.
If uncoloured, the stone in Pic 10 could be a beautiful turqoise. if coloured, it is most likely to be a howlite (a gorgeous white stone so easy to add colour to).
Bottom right of Pic 11 could be a rutilated quartz if you see golden (or white or black) 'threads' in it. You may need to look closely, for example, with a magnifying glass.
Pic 12's top right could be a relatively light coloured sodalite. I have one of a very similar shade with those beautiful striations in it.

Also, some of the rougher looking stones seem really vibrant though I am not venturing to guess what they are, e.g. Pic 2 top left stone, some of the stones in Pics 8, 11, 12 everything in the last pic. I most hesitate with the tumbled stones as they are so much more likely to have been coloured or treated. The 2 purple stones in Pic 9 intrigue me though it's hard for me to tell if that's just because I so love purple stones, lol.

Seems like you have some fun ones!:-D

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Ok here is another go:

Black (hematite/snowflake obsidian)
Orange (carnelian/agate)
Yellow (jasper/yellow banded agate)
Green (aventurine)
Blue (blue lace agate)
Indigo (sodalite)
White (clear quartz)

I wonder if your pink is color treated rose quartz.

Noam

Just Arrived
Sep 25, 2018
Hi,
I received these crystal pebbles from a friend and I'm trying to figure out what they are.
Any idea?
(both pictures show the same crystals - one from the back and one from the front)

20180925_192123.jpg20180925_192252.jpg

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Very nice with the numbering and front and back views.

I'm not the big crystal person here, but I can say that it is easier if we have pictures in the sunlight. Also, do you have any info on their origin?

They do look interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)