Help Crystal Identification — Post your Photo Here - See Part Two (2 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
Pinned to the top of the Crystals & Frequency Support Systems board, here is a dedicated thread to help those out there who are trying to identify a crystal.

It’s important to include a photo of the crystal in natural light, so outside is best. When inside you have shadows that cause color changes, but also what surrounds the crystal can influence the way it looks.

I tend to sometimes apply filters and increase the contrast and/or brightness of photos, but make sure you don’t for this purpose, so have an unedited photo, otherwise it makes it harder to identify.

It can also help to have a plain background behind the crystal with your photo. Also, if the crystal is a lighter color, use a darker background, and if it’s a darker colored crystal, use a lighter background.

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
The orange one is likely a carnelin agate.

The purple I can't identify. It may be dyed. Based on the pattern inside, it can't be an amethyst.

Green is likely a green agate. But its' a bit unusual. With the photos it's hard to tell, slight chance it may also be dyed.

Blue one could be a blue onyx. Otherwise it may also be dyed, but again, hard to tell from the photos.

I suggest you look at the names I included above, then do a google image search and compare the results to the crystals as you can then have a better look at them from turning them around to properly compare them to the photo. In your photos I don't think you were in the sunlight so the colors are a bit different to seeing them in person.

What do you think CrystalSong?

Reactions: Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Agate is a cool stone with different 'personalities' depending on the type of agate.

Another stone that's often dyed is howlite which is a neat stone too.
It's easy use for dying as it's natural colour is primarily white, often with grey stripes.

Reactions: Anaeika and Laron
OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I think the orange one maybe carnelian, the others look like dyed agate to me. The colors aren't natural, which I think you said as well Laron.
Agate is a cool stone with different 'personalities' depending on the type of agate.

Another stone that's often dyed is howlite which is a neat stone too.
It's easy use for dying as it's natural colour is primarily white, often with grey stripes.
Thanks you two. I have very little experience with dyed crystals, but I sure did learn a lot yesterday when looking into this.

Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

Toller

Involved Wayfarer
Feb 21, 2018
UK
I have a couple of photos of some of my crystals. I'll add what I think they are.

In the first, I think there is Black Tourmaline, Blue Aventurine, Citrine, Lepidolite and Green Aventurine.

crystals01.jpg

In the second Citrine (again), Lava and Amethyst.

crystals02.jpg

Reactions: Laron and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
That piece of lava looks like it just came out of the ground!
Almost looks like it's still crackling:cool:

Toller

Involved Wayfarer
Feb 21, 2018
UK
That piece of lava looks like it just came out of the ground!
Almost looks like it's still crackling:cool:
The lava is supposed to be from Mount Vesuvius, a friend bought it from a holiday in Italy.

I think that the embedded citrine seems very dark brown, I thought that citrine was a pale lemon yellow. Around the outside is clear quartz.

Reactions: Lila

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Oftentimes it is amethyst heat treated which produces that orange color. Natural from Earth is much more rare.

Your lava looks colorful with rainbows. How special!

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Toller In your first pic, the top right black and blue stone is sodalite. The one you think that is lepidolite might be. I need to see a better up close picture of it to confirm. The structure of the mineral doesn't look like lepidolite in that picture. In your second picture, the top right that you thought was lava is actually carborundum. It is one of my favorite stones and can balance and heal all of the chakras. I think the rest of your identifications are accurate. Beautiful collection! Thank you for sharing. They are beauties!

Toller

Involved Wayfarer
Feb 21, 2018
UK
Toller In your first pic, the top right black and blue stone is sodalite. The one you think that is lepidolite might be. I need to see a better up close picture of it to confirm. The structure of the mineral doesn't look like lepidolite in that picture. In your second picture, the top right that you thought was lava is actually carborundum. It is one of my favorite stones and can balance and heal all of the chakras. I think the rest of your identifications are accurate. Beautiful collection! Thank you for sharing. They are beauties!
Thank you for your comments Bear_Raven , I agree with your descriptions, sometimes sodalite can look like blue aventurine, I should have checked out the lava myself first, yes I can see now that it is carborundum. As for the lepidolite, I now know that my other purple crystal (not included in the pictures above) is the lepidolite. I've cropped out the unknown crystal from the original pictures and post them here at full resolution :-

crystal1.jpg
crystal2.jpg

Bear_Raven

Rambling Companion
Apr 7, 2018
Las Vegas, Nevada
Toller I am not 100% sure on this one, but based on the structure of the crystal I am guessing pink or purple tourmaline. If I stumble across this (I research crystals often) and discover it is something else, I will let you know! It is gorgeous and has a loving energy.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
It sparkles!<3
Wonder if it has some mica in it?

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
I scored massively at a weekend yard sale! I've done some research on the ones I can't readily identify and would love to know what y'all think about these. Happy to post another angle if needed. I'd also like to know what you think I paid for this lot :p

newfriends.jpg

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Amethyst, obviously, top left. Tourmalinated quartz below left. The brown citrine seems to be "real" and not heat-treated amethyst, as the dark color goes all the way to the roots of the crystals. Bottom right, lepidolite and pink bicolor tourmaline? Top right is the mystery... not quite a super seven, but definitely not amethyst. Here are some pics for detail:

purple crystal.jpg

pink crystal.jpg

35671420_10216500319529978_5799800253129424896_n.jpg

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Toller there are two types of brown (or madeira) citrine: natural and heat-treated. What Anaeika says is spot on, the natural is more rare. Heat-treated tends to be dark only at the tips:
Heated-citrine-crystals-750x524.jpg

What you have looks, from the pic, to be darker all the way through.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Amethyst, obviously, top left. Tourmalinated quartz below left. The brown citrine seems to be "real" and not heat-treated amethyst, as the dark color goes all the way to the roots of the crystals. Bottom right, lepidolite and pink bicolor tourmaline? Top right is the mystery... not quite a super seven, but definitely not amethyst. Here are some pics for detail:
Gorgeous - I'm having a bit of crystal envy.

Reactions: Maryann

Toller

Involved Wayfarer
Feb 21, 2018
UK
Toller there are two types of brown (or madeira) citrine: natural and heat-treated. What Anaeika says is spot on, the natural is more rare. Heat-treated tends to be dark only at the tips:

What you have looks, from the pic, to be darker all the way through.
Yes, it's dark almost to the base.

Reactions: Maryann

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
What a marvellous collection of crystals you came across, Maryann. I am guessing you paid $80 for the 5, if it was a garage sale (backyard sale) in someone's domestic residence. It would be hard to get all those for that much in this country.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
I wonder if this one is a multicoloured fluorite.
It does have the appearance somewhat but not the cubic shape, so I'm not sure. It's almost like amethyst that decided it wanted to be something else :-))

Pkeefer

Just Arrived
Jul 18, 2018
Hi! I just received this gorgeous specimen today. After a lot of digging around in crystal books, I couldn’t find what this is for the life of me. I am unable to take pictures of it outside at the moment, but the pictures are pretty true to color in real life. I’ll try to get some pictures of it in natural light when I can. Any ideas? This one has me stumped! Thanks in advance :)14DE83F3-687D-44FB-8C45-914B65BE4496.jpegD376025F-DCAB-413B-8344-7E579F94C50E.jpeg6C79A487-831F-4789-BF6C-890B11677158.jpeg24EECFF6-23B2-4216-B516-921FA94AC186.jpeg

OP
Laron

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
It's difficult to see the true color there so it's best if you take photos in natural light. This could be an aqua aura, but it's difficult to tell with those pictures.

The right side of the last picture is similar to this one below,

facet_aqua_crystal_hogg_mine_186.jpg

which is from here, https://www.mineral-forum.com/message-board/viewtopic.php?t=438. (facet aqua crystal)

O

omcasey_deleted

Pkeefer,

Absolutely GORGEOUS crystal being there. Parts of it look like green calcite, parts like prehnite....

Light, yes more light.

O

omcasey_deleted

The wide spectrum between the green and the blue brings beryl to mind as well (heliodor through aquamarine..

Now that would! be a find. Again, simply gorgeous.

Pkeefer

Just Arrived
Jul 18, 2018
I quick took some pictures in direct sunlight! Hope this helps. As you can see, there are small moss green crystals with a stripe of something else in it. The back of it is the one where I’m holding it. If there’s anything else I can do to help clarify, let me know!!66C932DD-053F-4FD6-A08D-30B24C510A60.jpeg18DF6292-2C27-4142-9E60-2E979850C143.jpeg32361C7D-798C-431C-97C6-FCF2EBD6A664.jpeg644C4433-F035-487A-92B3-8996630DCB81.jpeg01B31AB6-B5B0-4E13-942F-DDD63CF43766.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)