Help Crystal Identification — Post your Photo Here - See Part Two (2 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
The first looks to me like a little quartz cluster with, I'd guess, lithium giving it the green color on top and iron oxide grounding the bottom with some inclusions between. There are also a few barnacle like clusters on the sides and bottom; this makes me think of a happy little family of stones:D

The second looks like a fine quartz cluster. It looks like smokey quartz to me, but is there also some green in this one too?
This one has quite a complex, intriguing shape.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
The first looks to me like a little quartz cluster with, I'd guess, lithium giving it the green color on top
I didn't know lithium would do that, but that's really interesting. Wonder what that would feel like with the base quartz vibe... hm, cool. I was thinking it looked like someone tried to do a little angel aura gold-ion bond but it doesn't quite work as that. These are for sure fascinating shapes, and I bet they have great personalities.

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila

Chapter3

Just Arrived
Nov 23, 2019
Hello, i made an account because i need some help identifying. I have the opportunity to buy this stone being advertised as "Smoky Quartz", but i'm not convinced it is. I want to buy it as a gift for someone who likes natural minerals & crystals, and I don't want to show up with something that is not the real thing. I've spend the entire evening looking into it and i can not find any pictures of a similar one that has a whole bunch of small crystals like this one. Also the back has a blue color which i can't find on any other ones. Could this be some other quarts or crystal that got "treated" to make it look smoky?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Well, it is quite spectacular. However, Lila and Maryann are much better at analysis. They should be around tonight or tomorrow.

Feel free to look around the site and ask any questions.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Spectacular yes, but my first thought was, “is that lab-grown?” Unusual matrix for quartz, but maybe it’s just new to me. Where is it being sold from?

Chapter3

Just Arrived
Nov 23, 2019
Spectacular yes, but my first thought was, “is that lab-grown?” Unusual matrix for quartz, but maybe it’s just new to me. Where is it being sold from?
Claims it comes from Fujian, China. There is indeed smoky quartz to be found there, but none that look like this. Neither the matrix or the crystal's size & abundancy.

Last edited:

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Ok after a little digging, I'm thinking this is more likely natural than not. And I furthered my own education by a lot, from this very interesting page: http://www.quartzpage.de/smoky.html

What makes smoky quartz have its color is traces of radioactive elements within granite or orthogneiss, which is exactly what the matrix looks like in the one you've pictured. The article also mentions that light angles can flash yellow and red, and I see both very clearly in the photos. I'd say, review the page and see if it rings some bells for you. Either way, those are some stunningly clear, high-gloss points!

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Here are a couple of very useful links for learning more about identifying crystals and spotting fakes:

Chapter3

Just Arrived
Nov 23, 2019
I'll definitely look at all the links you provided. I'm pretty likely going to buy it. Thank you for the help & advice!

• Cool Post

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Well, I've certainly learned a lot!
Thanks for those links, Maryann.

The crystal you show, Chapter3, has quite a few color and shape variations that I would imagine may be hard to fake; though having said that I know next to nothing about how crystals are irradiated to change their color etc.
Even the foundation rock has some areas where I can almost imagine the crystal slowly growing out of it in various directions.
Despite this, the coherence of the group is amazing. I really love that aspect of this piece.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Well, I've certainly learned a lot!
Me too... I never thought quartz could grow like that but what do I know? I'm learning every day. I can't even imagine the stories this one would tell!

• Love this post!

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Please help
Maybe lapis lazuli. I just received some I ordered this week. Oh well, my reply didn't include your image. It's the blue rocks with striations/layers on it.

If you want to see stones fluoresce (glow under UV light) you need a very special wavelength of UV light, the common UV lights will not work. These "mineral UV lights" can be costly too, about $100usd and more. But a glowing stone will help you narrow down the ID.

I wanted to make my own UV light at a lower cost so I had to research it carefully. And I already tried the cheaper UV lights and they don't really work to make a stone glow.

Valerina

Just Arrived
Nov 30, 2019
I was given this a long time ago as a gift and it was originally a pendant necklace. It broke recently and I have been searching every where for these color combinations. I wanted it to be unakite but it is definitely not. I cant find a stone that matches this completely! Please assist

Attachments

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Lila and Maryann, we've got an interesting piece here - made me think of watermelon tourmaline, which I love.

• Divine
Reactions: Valerina

jemmalw

Just Arrived
Dec 3, 2019
Hey!
I am new to this :D
Please can you help me with identifying these crystals I have.
Thank you!
Jemma

I think..
4 = Tiger eye
6 = Blood stone
7 = Green Chrysoprase
9 = Aventurine
10 = Blood stone

Attachments

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Anaeika do you have any ideas for the above post?

Lila and Maryann, the stones have been numbered - isn't that great?

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Looks like 1 is amethyst (?), 2... ? , 3 rose quartz, 5 smoky quartz, 6 red jasper, 10 bloodstone... the rest I'm not sure about. How nice to have the numbers!!!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I was given this a long time ago as a gift and it was originally a pendant necklace. It broke recently and I have been searching every where for these color combinations. I wanted it to be unakite but it is definitely not. I cant find a stone that matches this completely! Please assist
It looks like a piece of watermelon!
I don't recall ever seeing those colors either, though tourmaline can grow as 'watermelon tourmaline' when the reds and greens are close together. This just doesn't really look like those colors to me, so I don't think it's that. Jasper seems a better bet to me.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Agree with:
1 amethyst
2 rhodocrosite
3 rose quartz
4 tiger's eye
5 smoky quartz
6 red jasper or blood stone: would want to see the rest of the marking, perhaps the other side
7 very beautiful color; variscite? pr chrysoprase? either way, you'd be lucky
8 lithium quartz?
9 green aventurine
10 bloodstone
11 yellow calcite?
12 mangano calcite?
A very nice set of tumblestones. I'd bet they feel wonderful in your hand:D

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
8425what would you say the pink stone is? I am used to seeing rose quartz lighter pink in color. Can the intensity vary?
I suspect the orange stone is heat treated amethyst.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Doesn't look like quartz but not sure what it does look like. Agree that's not real citrine, looks heat treated, but so pretty. Do you pick up anything different on that from purple amethyst?

• Insightful Post

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Anaeika, I have some rough rock amethyst from Brazil that has the same appearance as your possible rose quartz. Although the color is right for amethyst, the appearance of the stone is different. Since I was able to speak with the importer, I am confident of the identification. Perhaps your stone is similar - rose quartz but not quite like what we are accustomed to.

• Helpful Post
  • Love this post!
Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
View attachment 8425what would you say the pink stone is? I am used to seeing rose quartz lighter pink in color. Can the intensity vary?
I suspect the orange stone is heat treated amethyst.
Agree with the orange as heated amethyst given the color.
The other almost looks like the color pink tourmaline would can be though it would be a really big piece!
And I haven't seen it embedded in clear stone either, so I really don't think so. It is a very particular, and very pretty shade.

• Love this post!
Reactions: Maryann and Anaeika
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)