Help Crystal Identification — Post your Photo Here - See Part Two (5 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Jennifer7, the photo is a bit blurry. I suggest a retake outdoors in sunlight and maybe not quite so close.

• Helpful Post
  • I agree
Reactions: Lila and Laron

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
jen1010 - how large is this rock, and how did you find it?
It definitely is a wow piece.

Maryann and Lila - you are going to love this one!!

• I agree
Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Wow!
There seems to be a lot in this one. And in your yard! You lucky duck <3

The grapelike clusters (prominent in the second pic) remind me of chalcedony clusters, esp that particular sheen, though there are other crystals that do that too. There's some beautiful pearlescence too, maybe agatized layers?
My first reaction to the snowlike white bits (top left of first pic) is the frosting-like calcite that often forms on top of other crystals. So clear in this beauty.
Then a thing dusting of something green... hmm.

All of this is a first reaction as I feel there are other possibilities.

Reactions: jen1010

jen1010

Just Arrived
Feb 16, 2020
jen1010 - how large is this rock, and how did you find it?
It definitely is a wow piece.

Maryann and Lila - you are going to love this one!!
Hi :) Yes it is 13 pounds, almost exactly. We think it may of come out of the Kennecott mine here in Utah, or anywhere really - its amazing what collects in people's backyards. My husband does real estate - we've found dinosaur bones, dinosaur eggs, all sorts of things.
It does have a bluish cast, and purple... there are alot of things going on in this rock
jasper agate chalcedony druzy? more inside it not sure what... the pictures make it look very warm but in different light it has the cooler tones

• Cool Post
Reactions: Lila and Linda

jen1010

Just Arrived
Feb 16, 2020
Wow!

The grapelike clusters (prominent in the second pic) remind me of chalcedony clusters, esp that particular sheen, though there are other crystals that do that too. There's some beautiful pearlescence too, maybe agatized layers?
My first reaction to the snowlike white bits (top left of first pic) is the frosting-like calcite that often forms on top of other crystals. So clear in this beauty.

thank you!

• Love this post!

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Hi! Wondering if anyone recognizes this? Ive researched for a while and haven't seen anything that quite looks like it.
Sorry, when I said "ocean jasper", I was referring to these stones! lol… I'm kinda tired today

• A hug for you

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
The rest I have no idea what they are.
I don't know how on earth I missed this before What a neat bunch of stones! My first thought on the magnetic one was meteorite. Could be the remains of someone's old science experiment, who knows, but you can find little bits of stuff from the sky anywhere, unrelated to anything else. The one does look like aquamarine but could be calcite. I agree with Lila about the green cubes looking like fluorite, on stibnite.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
Hi :) Trying to figure out what this giant mammoth rock is I found in my yard
wow! I have no idea other than to say agate something. Sometimes I wonder if these odd lumps of rock used to be something else to someone long long ago. Fossilized somethings that minerals grow on over millenia…

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
wow! I have no idea other than to say agate something. Sometimes I wonder if these odd lumps of rock used to be something else to someone long long ago. Fossilized somethings that minerals grow on over millenia…
Yeah, I tend to look at rocks that way too, esp crystalline ones. I love them. They each hold stories and those stories are told over such a long, long time span. If we could hear them speak... <3

Reactions: Maryann

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
My first thought is a golden calcite.

CrystalLover11

Just Arrived
Feb 21, 2020
I bought a crystal a long time ago that had been sold to me as a natural citrine with an enhydro, however, I believe that it might be smoky quartz. Could you help me to identify this crystal as I am struggling to do so? Thanks! (Or maybe smoky citrine as there is a bit of yellow closer to the bottom)

Attachments

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I bought a crystal a long time ago that had been sold to me as a natural citrine with an enhydro, however, I believe that it might be smoky quartz. Could you help me to identify this crystal as I am struggling to do so? Thanks! (Or maybe smoky citrine as there is a bit of yellow closer to the bottom)
Lighting is key here and I am not sure with the above pics. My best guess is a smoky quartz. Could easily be some yellow in there that I'm not seeing in which case you might have a smoky citrine; much more rare and a find. It's a beauty regardless.
Can you find the enhydro when you move the stone around?

Reactions: CrystalLover11

jen1010

Just Arrived
Feb 16, 2020
Wow!

Calcite never occured to me thank you for your insight

• Cool Post

CrystalLover11

Just Arrived
Feb 21, 2020
Lighting is key here and I am not sure with the above pics. My best guess is a smoky quartz. Could easily be some yellow in there that I'm not seeing in which case you might have a smoky citrine; much more rare and a find. It's a beauty regardless.
Can you find the enhydro when you move the stone around?
Thanks!

Yes, I can find the enhydro when I move it. There are some yellow spots on the crystal, so would it be considered a smoky citrine or because there are only a few splotches, would it be classified more as smoky quartz?

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Thanks!

Yes, I can find the enhydro when I move it. There are some yellow spots on the crystal, so would it be considered a smoky citrine or because there are only a few splotches, would it be classified more as smoky quartz?
I believe you have a smoky citrine enhydro if you see that yellow on the stone.
Wonderful luck to have come across such a multifaceted stone!

Reactions: CrystalLover11

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
I bought a crystal a long time ago that had been sold to me as a natural citrine with an enhydro,
I was at a quartz mine this summer (2019) and learned a lot about quartz. Quartz comes in many colors. Quartz that is white is milky quartz, quartz that is smoky is smoky quartz, quartz that is yellow is skeletal quartz, and purple quartz is called amethyst. I think you have quartz, with a bit of yellow quartz in it.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
quartz that is yellow is skeletal quartz
So what's citrine?
I'm talking about natural citrine. The 'burnt orangey yellow' of heated amethyst is pretty characteristic after seeing a few.
Like this: 1582431818463.png

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
This thread is very popular and has become a bit too large.
So, I'm closing comments here and starting a Part Two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)