Help Crystal Identification — Post your Photo Here - See Part Two (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
The oval and spherical ones look like forms of jasper. The potato-shaped ones look like agate. Green might be mossy agate, not sure. No clue on the sparkly one. Nice collection!

Kiera

Involved Wayfarer
Nov 13, 2018
The oval and spherical ones look like forms of jasper. The potato-shaped ones look like agate. Green might be mossy agate, not sure. No clue on the sparkly one. Nice collection!
That's what I was thinking, but I am a newbie! Thank you! :) I wasn't sure about the green one because it's pretty sparkly too and the other pieces of moss agate I have are not.

Reactions: Anaeika

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Is that blue in the top pieces w brown.

Also see jasper & agate as well.

Reactions: Kiera

Zoeeyy97

Just Arrived
Jan 3, 2019
Hi All! :) I’m quite new and for Christmas I got a bunch of tumbled stones. I’ve been able to identify some however there’s quite a few which could be multiple and couldn’t quite work out what it was... I’ve also got some black ones too, one is Onyx and one is Tourmaline but I have no idea which is what... and I don’t know what the third one is either. Same goes for the cleanish white ones...

Attachments

Reactions: Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I’m quite new and for Christmas I got a bunch of tumbled stones.
You've got quite a collection there. We've got some people here who are pretty good at identifying. One thing that helps is to have a picture taken in sunlight. Some stones look similar and seeing them in sunlight really helps. Also, do you know where they came from?

Maryann

Frequency Modulator
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 25, 2016
ninespath.com
From the first picture there: Top middle is ruby zoisite, bottom right looks like serpentine. Bottom left looks like a type of jasper, middle might be citrine or perhaps optical calcite.

In the third pic, the big one middle second row is selenite, rose quartz below that, and bottom right corner looks like carnelian.

Are any of the black ones extremely light-weight? If so, maybe jet. Nice collection!

As Linda says, sunlight makes identification a lot easier

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I'll add to the above a few guesses on the second set:
second row, middle: selenite
second row, right: could be many things, possibly clear quartz
bottom row, left: rhodochrosite

In the first set I wonder if there is some stichtite in the serpentine that Marayann mentions (bottom right); that would make the a combination that is sometimes called atlantasite.
Also in that first set, I wonder if the second row, left is magnanon calcite. If so, that is a lovely stone.

Zoeeyy97

Just Arrived
Jan 3, 2019
You've got quite a collection there. We've got some people here who are pretty good at identifying. One thing that helps is to have a picture taken in sunlight. Some stones look similar and seeing them in sunlight really helps. Also, do you know where they came from?
Yes taking a photo in sunlight is a much better idea! :) Some have been given to me, others I have bought and forgot what it was called. Some I do have an idea about but it's alway more accurate if multiple people think it's the same.

I might take a photo of them all individually and post here what I think it might be! :)

Thank you Linda, Maryann and Lila all so much for all your help!

Zoeeyy97

Just Arrived
Jan 3, 2019
As suggested and promised here are all the crystals in sunlight, i’ve placed them next to a tea light candle for a size comparison.

After some research, below is what I think they are, I’m kinda looking for someone to tell me whether my guess is correct or whether there are other crystals that it could be. The ??? means I have 0 idea of what it could be.

Image 1:
- Left Top: ???
- Left Middle: Red Tigers Eye maybe Tiger Iron
- Left Bottom: Gold Tigers Eye maybe Tiger Iron
- Right Top: Ruby Zoisite Variation
- Right Middle: Ruby Zoisite Variation
- Right Bottom: ???

Image 2:
- Left Top: Citrine
- Left Middle: Malachite
- Left Bottom: Lapis Lazuli
- Right Top: Jade
- Right Middle: Opalite
- Right Bottom: ???

Image 3:
- Left Top: Agate
- Left Middle: Garnet maybe Ruby
- Left Bottom: Orbicular Jasper
- Right Top: ???
- Right Middle: ???
- Right Bottom: Selenite

Image 4:
- Left Top: Blue Obsidian
- Left Middle: ???
- Left Bottom: ???
- Right Top: ???
- Right Middle: Moonstone
- Right Bottom: Quartz

6130B7D8-A4F6-48FE-B482-ADAA658CB7E8.jpegEC99CFD1-B817-4586-8DCF-594982FA9C7A.jpeg
601BB818-F2A6-4226-99B0-7789B0E2955E.jpeg
D2D7FC74-74ED-4F8B-A728-EC20717B2213.jpeg

Attachments

Redd

Just Arrived
I am new to the hobby, it’s lovely finding them but I’m finding it very difficult to find places to try identify stones and crystals myself. All the findings so far are Wake County, North Carolina. I will attach my finds in the hope someone will be able to help me. Very grateful for any help on my new hobby.....

Attachments

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I am new to the hobby, it’s lovely finding them but I’m finding it very difficult to find places to try identify stones and crystals myself. All the findings so far are Wake County, North Carolina. I will attach my finds in the hope someone will be able to help me. Very grateful for any help on my new hobby.....
Looks like a lot of quartzsite.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
It looks like a beautiful collection.
My best guess is mostly quartz and calcite though I don't feel confident about this for many of them.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Redd your collection looks like a lot of stones in central Texas - a mix of quartz, calcite, granite, and sometimes a touch of iron for the red color. They are interesting and sturdy friends to have - sort of like the building blocks or foundation of an area.

Reactions: Anaeika and Lila

SunStar88

Just Arrived
Feb 2, 2019
Hello all! I have some quartz that I am unsure what they are. The double terminated quartz I have, though, is there a name given for that brownish stuff in the middle? Thank you!

Attachments

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The different colors are inclusions and come from what was happening in the particular environment at the time the quartz was forming. Some of the quartz around me has reddish streaks, which is iron from the volcanic activity. I don't know about the green, though.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Hematite (with iron) is a common red-brown colour in quartz and has a lovely grounding effect.
Chlorite is green and so are a lot of other things. Ajoite is usually bluish but can be blue green. That would be a lovely one to have a splash of. There are others; those are the two greenish ones that come to mind now.
Lovely double terminated crystal!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
An luck identifying this? Nothing special, but would love to know anyways. Thank you :)
Its shade of green makes me immediately think: green calcite. I understand it to be a very good clearing stone, particularly for heart issues and health in general.
Sometimes the variations in colour in the light can be stunning... there can even be a rainbow there if you're really lucky.
Their typically inexpensive price belies, IMO, how soothing and clearing a stone this can be. I keep a box of various coloured calcites by my desk which makes me happy every time I look at them. I'm smiling now:D

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
I second Lila’s opinion. And it is soooo beautiful. That is one of my favorite colors of green. Where did you find it?

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
How to make crystals fluoresce, or glow under UV light.

There are several types of UV light, from short-wave to long-wave. The most common, and cheap, UV lights are long wave, around 315-400nm. But what you need for minerals to glow is the short-wave UV light, about 100-280nm. I have not been able to find LED emitters for short-wave so if you have a UV LED light, it's long-wave UV.

Short-wave UV light requires special filtering glasses so it does not damage your eyes.

This is a good article on glowing minerals.

So the cheaper UV lights based on LEDs will not work very well. You will get better results with the proper short wave UV lamp which is a tube emitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
How to make crystals fluoresce, or glow under UV light.
Glowing crystals would be good for its own thread.

Also, I find that showing the actual link is a better way to go when suggesting a site outside the forum. Many people, including me, are hesitant to click on an unknown link.

Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

Crystal hunter

Just Arrived
Feb 23, 2019
Hi there, I’m brand new here and I have had a collection of Gems/rocks/ crystals for years now I’m trying to identify what I have.
Would appreciate any help to identify my collection. Here is the first one?

Attachments

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Agate/jasper would be my guess.
Jasper if it's opaque (can't see through it even with light behind it).
Beautiful lines and colours!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)