Creating Original Artworks (2 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
I've been feeling particularly artsy lately but haven't had time to start any of the projects I've been wanting to get done. I was asked to evaluate an art therapy booklet recently and I was thinking today about the section in it where it says "it doesn't need to be a masterpiece or take forever. It does not have to be perfect. Just create for the sake of creating." (I'm paraphrasing). So, today I resolved to do one art related thing before the day was out, just to satisfy my need to unleash my creativity.

I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time so I decided to draw/colour something small & realistically achievable so I could do something fun & also get the satisfaction of completing something.

In the end I thought about my inspiration (my kids) & decided to draw a silhouette of my son to see where it led me. It took me no more than 5-10 minutes so I thought I would share here to remind everyone that sometimes we might put things off because we "don't have time", but all it take is a few minutes to unleash your creativity & you can create something new & special that didn't exist prior to you deciding it should.

image.jpeg

I couldn't find any posts like this one on this board so I'd love to keep this one going for everyone who might want to display their own original creations here too! If there is already one running though let me know and I will merge this one with it, otherwise feel free to show me what you have been inspired to create-arts, crafts, anything!! :)

Krena

Embracing Mystery, Mostly
Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
IMG_7039.JPG IMG_7045.JPG IMG_7040.JPG
Red jasper, malachite, turquoise chips

New earrings. Very time consuming, though they had a zen purpose for me. Lots of knots. They are kinda heavy and dramatic, and they take a special woman to wear them. They are a little thinner when they are upright. These were quick photos.

It was not wise to create these in my busy season, as they are not very commercial. But a friend who saw them yesterday said they cheered up my collection display. I can wear these as my hair is long, and most earrings I wear disappear in the mass. Most can not. The worst consequence is that they become mine. :ROFL:

I applaud Brooke starting this thread to encourage creativity in spontaneous bursts or for therapy.

C-R-E-A-T-E

OP
Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
Beautiful Krena! I have always had a love for earrings-particularly long dangly ones. Add crystals to them and I'm as good as sold :p
I'm generally pretty "boring" with the colours/clothes I wear (usually jeans with fitted singlets in natural colours or monotones for example lol), so earrings are my way of changing it up my outfits when I feel the need. Oh & I have long hair too ;)

The worst consequence is that they become mine. :ROFL:
THIS. Lol. This is exactly what happens when I create things-jewellery... homeware... artwork... doodles on notepads... Haha. Can't let any of it go because it's like I put so much of myself into them I become attached:-)) They are like horcruxes :)) :)) :))

I applaud Brooke starting this thread to encourage creativity in spontaneous bursts or for therapy.
I considered posting it as a sticky post but thought I would leave that decision up to you :)

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I've actually noticed a bit of a theme in my life concerning fear of what i can't plan. but it only manifests in certain ways, and art happens to be one of them. (probably why poetry had hit such a low in my life too . ) i used to create create create all the time with no fear.
i bought a couple watercolor paints for my birthday and have yet to get into that out of fear. I've just been doing copies of things at the moment.
I never thought this would be me. heheh

That truly is a beautiful silhouette, Brooke . gorgeous.

Solnarehyah

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 3, 2016
Morton, Pennsylvania
I've been feeling particularly artsy lately but haven't had time to start any of the projects I've been wanting to get done. I was asked to evaluate an art therapy booklet recently and I was thinking today about the section in it where it says "it doesn't need to be a masterpiece or take forever. It does not have to be perfect. Just create for the sake of creating." (I'm paraphrasing). So, today I resolved to do one art related thing before the day was out, just to satisfy my need to unleash my creativity.

I knew I wouldn't have a lot of time so I decided to draw/colour something small & realistically achievable so I could do something fun & also get the satisfaction of completing something.

In the end I thought about my inspiration (my kids) & decided to draw a silhouette of my son to see where it led me. It took me no more than 5-10 minutes so I thought I would share here to remind everyone that sometimes we might put things off because we "don't have time", but all it take is a few minutes to unleash your creativity & you can create something new & special that didn't exist prior to you deciding it should.

View attachment 1653

I couldn't find any posts like this one on this board so I'd love to keep this one going for everyone who might want to display their own original creations here too! If there is already one running though let me know and I will merge this one with it, otherwise feel free to show me what you have been inspired to create-arts, crafts, anything!! :)
That's beautiful Brooke, Thanks for sharing. Nice to hear from you again. I try it when I feel these urges. I'll share something here.

Solnarehyah

Involved Wayfarer
Aug 3, 2016
Morton, Pennsylvania
The first one came through just as I sat to scribble with my 2 year old a few months ago. It has brought me much healing since when I meditate on it. It only took 5 minutes. I call it the 'healing eye of rainbow rays'.
The second one is mother earth dancing away her infinite flow of love rivers. This is also took 10 minutes or so. I only draw to express my soul, like meditation.

Attachments

Krena

Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Angela, it is crystal clear that you are quite talented and inventive and have been so for some time.

Creativity is the soul of problem solving and healing. It is an act of freedom that has no need to be judged. It is meant to be fun. Outrageous. Awful. Ugly. Provocative. Silly. Engaging. Beautiful. Private. Public. Successful and not so much.

Though I do not have the right to ask you, I will still go ahead and ask anyway: please continue to doodle, to create anything you wish for your heart and soul. Just go ahead.

Lai Jumoke

Involved Wayfarer
Retired Moderator
Angela,
I felt so so good. The first one made me think and reminded me of "journeys". The second one is sooo amazing.... can I download it and keep it in my computer? Thanks for sharing. I really would want to know, how you thought of them, or how old were you when you created them. Was it something you recalled and drew or was it something you did to feel good? How wonderful. Loving this thread!

OP
Brooke

Brooke

Mother Bear
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Australia
I've actually noticed a bit of a theme in my life concerning fear of what i can't plan. but it only manifests in certain ways, and art happens to be one of them.
Angela I know that feeling well-I have always been that way. That's probably why I started with a silhouette, because it's essentially just copying an outline & going from there. I have always found it easier to replicate art or expand on other people's ideas than I have expressing my own. I always have a million different ideas flowing through me but attempting to bring them into being never seems to do them justice lol. That said, many of my favourite creations have developed from the inspiration I found while expanding on concepts I found elsewhere.

@Pooja thank you! I'm trying my hardest to make time to get on RT more (my life has been chaotic lately to say the least). It's always lovely to be here with you all.

Everyone's artwork is beautiful! I love the colours & themes! I feel a need to do more today so we shall see how we go for time :)

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Angela,
I felt so so good. The first one made me think and reminded me of "journeys". The second one is sooo amazing.... can I download it and keep it in my computer? Thanks for sharing. I really would want to know, how you thought of them, or how old were you when you created them. Was it something you recalled and drew or was it something you did to feel good? How wonderful. Loving this thread!
Wow, yes. of course you can download it! thank you so much for so many kind words!

I think i was in high school when i made that. maybe 10th grade? i was relatively young. the alien, it was just a spur of the moment drawing. the other, I've done a lot of abstract doodles, and i didn't haven't anything particular in mind when i drew it. it was probably around the same time, i wager.

Angela I know that feeling well-I have always been that way. That's probably why I started with a silhouette, because it's essentially just copying an outline & going from there. I have always found it easier to replicate art or expand on other people's ideas than I have expressing my own. I always have a million different ideas flowing through me but attempting to bring them into being never seems to do them justice lol. That said, many of my favourite creations have developed from the inspiration I found while expanding on concepts I found elsewhere.

@Pooja thank you! I'm trying my hardest to make time to get on RT more (my life has been chaotic lately to say the least). It's always lovely to be here with you all.

Everyone's artwork is beautiful! I love the colours & themes! I feel a need to do more today so we shall see how we go for time :)
I agree, it is easier to elaborate and draw from someone else's immediate artistic expression. i used to not need anything. i recognize now a huge trigger that made me much more analytical and much less reliant on my own creative juices (almost all the arts; music, poetry, art.) because i was obsessed with survival. I'm excited because i am actively able to and trying to be proactive about it now that i know what was happening.

General question to you beautiful artistic folk. aside from the ability to adapt and have ease in meditation and all that. .. how do you feel the arts adds to the consciousness? how is merely creating personal art enough to affect consciousness. it feels sometimes like a secondary, albiet important, venue for creativity.

Reactions: Lila and Stargazer

Krena

Retired Moderator
Jul 30, 2016
Massachusetts
www.khkrena.com
Angela,
General question to you beautiful artistic folk. aside from the ability to adapt and have ease in meditation and all that. .. how do you feel the arts adds to the consciousness? how is merely creating personal art enough to affect consciousness. it feels sometimes like a secondary, albiet important, venue for creativity.

Angela, that is an excellent question that I have asked all my life. I will have to think about it more, and likely for a while, to come up with a longer, honest and thoughtful answer. There have been times I asked others the same question, as I was likewise concerned, and they have encouraged me to keep going. I listened to them, as I knew intuitively they were right.

I don't think you will ever know for sure how you affect consciousness. That is likely out of your control, and out of earshot. For instance, there is a photographer named, Annie Brigman, who was one of the first women to shoot outdoors in California, using models in the landscape. Her photographs take my breath away. She shot her photos 100 years ago. That is one small example of how thousands of pieces of art and thousands of artists have affected my consciousness....and the artists never knew.

The take away is raising your own consciousness by expressing your own truth, wisdom and vision.

I have linked a few articles about why art is important or why creating art is important. Perhaps you will find some answers there.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maria-rodale/top-ten-reasons-why-art-i_b_214504.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barbara-ernst-prey/the-value-and-importance-_b_5788116.html

http://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/why_we_make_art/

http://www.kapahawaii.com/dalani-tanahy/21-reasons-to-create-art.html

Last edited:

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Thanks for the opportunity to share some of my drawings, paintings and a fabric artwork!

The first is my daughter, sketched when she was 6 years old
The second is a dolphin swimming under the surface
The third is a sea eagle with a catch
The fourth is an impala (African antelope) which I did for a lady dying of cancer (her family returned the picture to me)
The fifth is a yin/yang symbol made from fabrics and buttons.

Pardon the photography of these items as I can be counted on to blur the image.

VW orig artwork_Cara.jpg
VW orig artwork_dolphin.jpg VW orig artwork_eagle sketch.jpg VW orig artwork_Lois painting.jpg VW orig artwork_stitching.jpg

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Creating art for me is hooking up with my visual cortex - and it gives me a thrill. Apart from creating children together (definitely a man/woman joint effort) art is an effort which helps you manifest ideas, and develop visions as you learn to express. There is also the more mental type of art, where the image takes you down mental byways and thought processes. I also gift most of my artwork, so you are just distributing your vibe around.

After many changes of house and up and down pitfalls over the last 15 years, I now have a workroom of my own and I hope to spend more time pursuing this fun way of creating.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Some figures I made this summer and meant to post.
This seems like the perfect place to do so<3

upload_2017-10-9_11-37-20.jpeg
upload_2017-10-9_11-36-49.jpeg This one should maybe be posted sideways? so it can swim more easily:oops:
upload_2017-10-9_11-17-30.jpegupload_2017-10-9_11-16-41.jpeg
The second thunderbird is a smaller one, made to be worn as a pendant, so w a hole for the cord.
There was a dragonfly too. It has a new home now, so I can't post a pic of it.

What came out was a joy!
This was an unplanned, and quite social activity that resulted in so much shared creativity and wonder that we all wanted to do it again:-D
It was amazing to imagine something and then see the lines and form come out of the work... all on their own.
Each had our own style, very distinctive and readily recognizable.
Themes emerged, were played with, were delighted in, as individual warm feelings as well as with shared smiles and comments.
Pieces were broken, repaired, adjusted and modified to suit the available material and circumstances. Some of the 'mistakes' gave the pieces extra depth, a new, brighter direction, more recognizability. Others required additional interaction and repair, of both the pieces and the associated emotions... such a gentle process, an opportunity to compassionately soothe raw bits, such joy<3
... and I guess this is why we have a term called 'art therapy':D

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
The fact that is a long-lasting material is a wonder and a joy in this throw-away time. You must be proud of your creativity, and your patience in cutting away the detritus of the stone to reveal the shape waiting within!

Reactions: Krena and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)