Compost Pedallers (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Some enterprising people got together in Austin and figured out how to bridge the gap between two groups of people. On one side are many households with items that can be composted, but no way to do that effectively. On the other side are local nurseries and gardens with a need for fresh, clean compost.

Meet the Compost Pedallers. They ride specially outfitted bicycles through neighborhoods collecting compostable materials. https://compostpedallers.com/

compost.jpg

Salli

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 31, 2016
Is there no municipal service there which collects compostables, Linda? Here, each household has one of those wheeled bins which is emptied once a fortnight. They've recently brought in an extra charge for it though.

I bet those bikes get heavy with three full wheely bins on board!

Reactions: Stargazer
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
We have big recycling bins that are collected every 2 weeks through the city (fee based), but it is for glass, paper, and plastic.

Twice a year, we have "big trash" pick up, which is for things like tires, lawnmowers, etc. In our area, we have a neighborhood wide garage sale the Saturday before. On Sunday, we put out everything else, and individuals come around in trucks and trailers picking up items they want. This part is not technically sanctioned, but I think it is efficient recycling.

That composting service operates in the more level side of town. They are picking up food scraps, etc. so it is not as heavy. Still, the operators are young with strong legs. :thumbsups:thumbsups:thumbsups

Reactions: Stargazer

Salli

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 31, 2016
The garage sale is great recycling.

Here we have several free recycling websites where you can give away things you no longer need and/or collect things you do. I just can't bear to throw anything useful away. Going to the local tip is a frightening experience when you see how much useful stuff people just dump. We always used to come home with more stuff than we took there, but they've made bringing anything away illegal now.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
We have a neighborhood email, and people post things they are selling or wanting to buy. We've picked up a few things that way like a old, solid brass set of fireplace tools, which would be hard to find in a store now.

I feel the same way about tossing good items. Yours and my options are great examples of how people figure out how to recycle on their own.

Reactions: Salli and Stargazer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)