Cold Brew Coffee (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I just watched an episode of America's Test Kitchen, which I recommend, and saw a comparison of cold brew coffee makers. They are supposed to be great for producing excellent coffee without all the acid. The process makes a strong solution, which you dilute with either hot or cold water. Their recommendation was for the Toddy Cold Brew maker. https://www.americastestkitchen.com/

My question to you all is - has anyone tried the cold brew technique for coffee?
If so, what did you think about the coffee?

Samara

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Passau, Germany
I've never heard about that yet... I'm interested in it now too, how does it work?
I've stopped drinking coffee a week ago because I noticed its somehow fogging my mind... maybe brewing it cold would work for me? you just put the ground coffee into cold water and let it soak?

I know you can get the bitterness out of the coffee by sprinkling some salt into it, and putting a little baking soda into it is supposed to be good too, but not sure if thats helpful in my case

Reactions: waybeyondfedup
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've never heard about that yet... I'm interested in it now too, how does it work?
I've stopped drinking coffee a week ago because I noticed its somehow fogging my mind... maybe brewing it cold would work for me? you just put the ground coffee into cold water and let it soak?

I know you can get the bitterness out of the coffee by sprinkling some salt into it, and putting a little baking soda into it is supposed to be good too, but not sure if thats helpful in my case
It is a different ratio of grounds to water. I don't recall what it was, but it is a lot of coffee.
Even with a good, mild coffee I was adding sugar to counter the bitterness, so I stopped and went to green tea. Every now and then I go to the "Coffee Bean" for latte (and a dog biscuit for Pepper).

I think you can make it in a French press. I'll get some coffee and let you all know.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Continuing along with my mission to figure out how to make cold brew coffee, I found an explanation from Kicking Horse Coffee in Canada. It is a 4:1 ratio of coffee to water. You steep in the fridge for 12 hours and strain. You can add hot or cold water for a regular cup of coffee or a dash of cream for something more like expresso. I think I am about to be in trouble here because I do love coffee. Going to the grocery store soon, so I'll have a report in a couple of days.
https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/blog/how-make-cold-brew-coffee

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
OK - set your alarms - in 11 hours, I will taste my first cold brew coffee. It is in the fridge now.
1 cup ground organic Nicaraguan coffee and 4 cups spring water

coffee.jpg

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
When younger I was a connoisseur of iced coffees. I would try one whenever I came across a place that had them. I was very particular about what I liked in an iced coffee. (please, no ice, and there has to be a scoop of ice cream, vanilla shot is a bonus.. and some sweetener...) Then I stopped consuming dairy, but this thread reminds me of my travels through the iced coffee world.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Here is what it looked like this morning. From right to left -
pitcher of coffee brew poured through a fine sieve strainer - this was a multi-step process, and I dumped the grounds into a bowl.
Still too many grounds, so I filtered through a coffee filter - tried one filter in the sieve into little pitcher, but it had to change the filter - too slow
Put a steamer over a bowl and placed 3 filters in it - this worked much better.

So, to the coffee - I boiled water and made a mixture of 2/3 coffee to 1/3 hot water. It was about the right consistency.
The taste - I was astonished - so smooth - no acidic bite - I've never tasted coffee this way - much better, but I will have to get used to not having the aftertaste.

Looks like a mess, but now I know how to do it efficiently, and it is enough coffee for several days (keeps up to 4 days).

PS - what to do with the grounds - good for gardens, but repels deer, and I don't want to do that - a dilimna ....

coffee 1.jpg

Pucksterguy

Elder Entity
Jul 28, 2016
I been and still am a coffee drinker. Being Italian I grew up drinking nothing but esspresso. Some cappuccinos but mostly a strong short shot. Moving on to what we call brewed coffee I can only drink it black with a little sugar to kill the bitterness. That cold brew sounds like an interesting concept. Gotta try it soon. In re; Laron, we uses to drink a cold coffee in summer. It was served in an small glass and was basicly espresso with a small amt of sugar. We kept it in a freezer and served as almost a gel full of semi frozen coffee that thawed out quickly but was ice cold. It was delicious and refreshing. You'll only find it in true Italian establishments. If you can find it give that a try. Nothing like a strong jolt to get you going, or keep you going.

Diane

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
I like cold brew coffee, with stevia and cream, but I've never made it. I'll get one at Starbucks a couple times a month.

I make iced coffee at home occasionally, but that's just my regular coffee (brewed in an over-the-cup filter holder) then cooled and poured over ice.

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've been drinking it for almost 2 weeks now - it is sooooo good - smooth with no acid.
I've gotten my technique down. I do have to plan the brew so I am awake when it is ready 12 hours later.
For me, I like 3/4 brew and 1/4 water, which I heat in a little sauce pan for a perfect cup of hot coffee.

Ben

Brother of Awen
Retired Global Moderator
Jul 22, 2016
Shrewsbury, UK
I can't wait to try this thanks so much! I LOVE coffee but you're darn right about the acid, it really messes with me. If you keep consuming at the rate you are Linda you will have no need for an alarm and your journey's to the shop will increase in rapidity!

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
If you keep consuming at the rate you are Linda you will have no need for an alarm and your journey's to the shop will increase in rapidity!
I allow myself one cup a day - ok, one mug a day, but nothing after 3 PM or I'll be gardening by moonlight.

Samara

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Passau, Germany
I seriously gotta try that out too... still didnt lol... maybe thats the trick to not having this bad effect on my body...

funny thing is, yesterday I went through the town and in a coffeeshop where you can also sit and drink coffee they served cold brew coffee... never seen it before you mentioned it here on the forums and now they are serving it in town lol
didnt have time though to stop and try it there...

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Samara, maybe your issues with coffee have to do with water intake.
I've noticed that I have to remind myself to drink more water if I've had coffee.

Samara

Involved Wayfarer
Jul 30, 2016
Passau, Germany
ok so... yesterday a cup of coffee with a lot of water next to it... was fine :)

today... my first cup of selfmade cold brewed coffee :D
aaaaaaaand........ it tastes really good :D

I made it with soy milk and a dash of cream and some sugar (can't get over sugar in coffee, without I just don't like it much), and I put some icecubes in and it was delicious <3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)