Blue Lapis Light Dance Company (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Austin is the home of an extraordinary dance company, Blue Lapis Light. This group of amazing men and women perform aerial ballets on the sides of buildings. The purpose of their dances is to bring attention to social situations, and through their performance lift the energies. You know that just from watching the videos.

I've not been to one in person because they are downtown, and I have a real aversion to that area. However, the daughters of a friend of mine were part of the ground dance team on the latest production. She showed me photos, and the close-ups of their faces are breath-taking. They are totally immersed in the moment. They are changing / moving / bringing in energies.

Blue Lapis Light is a site-specific aerial dance company founded by Artistic Director Sally Jacques in 2005. Jacques’ earlier works encompassed social, political, and spiritual themes. These performances have evolved to explore movement through the air. The company has danced on federal buildings, a power plant, inside and outside, bungee jumped over water, and on columns under on the IH35 bridge, on hotels, a bank and on 120’ stacks.
https://www.bluelapislight.org

I've attached two videos. The first one is an interview with the director and shows a practice session on the 120' stacks of the old Seaholm Power Plant. You will want to watch this one to get a sense of what they are doing. The second video is a compilation of other performances. Prepare to be moved!

Edit - if you click the play button on the Vimeo box, it will take to the Vimeo site where you can see it.

Reactions: Laron and Anaeika
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
About the 2 minute mark on the Vimeo video, there is a short segment to Calling All Angels. I feel just like that.

Reactions: Anaeika

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
Those dancers amaze me by their fearlessness. They make it look like they are dancing effortlessly underwater, but they are what, 50 feet up?

I also like how the artist lady talks about how she asks what it means to be human in this huge universe. Is she a starseed, I wonder?

Reactions: Lila and Linda
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
The pipe stacks (first video) are 120' tall and some of those buildings (second video) are probably 200' tall.

I think they all are starseeds and angels. The director has such a unique way of expressing the ideas and feelings. The second clip (2 minute mark) really spoke to my heart - flying across the planet, finding another person like yourself, and connecting for a few brief moments.

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
one of the things i won t be able to except i loose my yes let s say it fear of the highs

a very nice thing i must say, didn t knew it exists

OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
one of the things i won t be able to except i loose my yes let s say it fear of the highs
Yes, those are some tall buildings. Those men and women have to be very, very strong.

Need to remember and appreciate the riggers, too.

Reactions: Lila and Anaeika
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Lapis, I thought you might like this post as you all share a name.

Reactions: Lila and Anaeika

Lapis

Just Arrived
Nov 29, 2018
Thanks Linda and yes, it caught my eye yesterday for multiple reasons.

Has everyone noticed how over the past 20-25 years or so how much more is being done in the air? Different sports and such and other creative expressions like "dancing" up in the air. Age of Aquarius -- an Air sign -- energies and consciousness trying to express creatively. Good stuff. <3 Long time ago I danced professionally...on the ground. :p Thanks again Linda.

Reactions: Lila
OP
Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Has everyone noticed how over the past 20-25 years or so how much more is being done in the air?
Now that you mention it, not only in the professional arena but in the daily life, as well. There are dance studios offering classes with silks (hanging fabric). Of course, Cirque du Soliel is quite well known now.

Learning proper form for flying?

Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
So much joy! Flying! Whoo hoo! Yes, and angels too.

Love the play of shadows at 3 minutes in the compilation. Then the slow backflip and all the lovely freedom of movement; up/down, upside down, floating, walking on air, flipping, experimenting and learning to completely trust the equipment and riggers who upkeep it... all to beautiful music. Oh, the joy!

Reactions: Linda

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)