Artistic perspective (2 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Continuing on with perspective and shading for rounded edges.... a chair with upholstered and wooden arms
I may get a sketchbook after all!

chair arm.jpg

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I find cross-hatching to work well in some areas of shading.

Reactions: Linda and Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Continuing on with perspective and shading for rounded edges.... a chair with upholstered and wooden arms
I may get a sketchbook after all!

View attachment 6327
I think this is my favourite of yours so far, Linda. Such flowing lines and simple design with a relatively complex shape.

Reactions: Linda and Snowmelt
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I'm so far behind, and I'm sorry for that.

I've (very slowly) decided to try a journal to track my language learning progress. I was hesitant to try it, but decided to attempt making daily goals.
Anyway. I've written out a handful of encouraging quotes and I am going to put them in the journal as I go.

This is the first one for the front page.
15486518194931361027345.jpg

Reactions: Lila and Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
One day on a hike in the woods, something glinted in the dirt. As I dug it out, I discovered it was an old perfume bottle - because that is what one so often finds in the woods :-D. I got online and figured out it is a crystal Shalimar bottle, that was used from the 1950s through the 70s. The houses around here were constructed during the 1960s-70s, and before that, this was ranch land. I could go with the elegant lady rancher ......

shalimar.jpg

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've taken a big step - dug out my sketching pencils AND bought a sketch pad.

I thought I would do something simple - ha. This chair looks plain enough, but there is so much shaping to the wood, which ends up making it a sturdy chair with maximum contact at the joints. I never understood that until I tried to sketch it. Of course, there is a story - Long ago a friend in some kind of beer fueled prank stole the chair from the University of Texas student union. Gotta wonder how he pulled it off. When he moved, he gifted it to me, and I've hauled it around with me for 25+ years because it is a good chair.

I could not manage the whole thing - getting all the wood shapes was too much - so here is one side. :-D

UT chair.jpg

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I'm so embolden by this exercise! Thank you all so much. :)

Last fall after the big flood, I was working on clearing the fences of mud and debris. It was hard and dirty work. One day, my daughter and I were working together, and as we walked back to the barn through the pear orchard, we were laughing at our condition - boots and jeans covered in mud, sweaty and tired, rake and shovel on our shoulders. I could "see" the scene and have wanted to find a way to put it on paper. I see the finished product with a more impressionistic appearance and done in water colors.

With my newfound excitement (and sketchbook), I tackled what is for me the more difficult aspect - drawing people. This is the beginning of my quest!

farm girls.jpg

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I see a timeline sort of book coming out of this for you, Linda?

Reactions: Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Zuni (American Indian tribe of southwest) bear fetish. The Zuni's are well-known for their carvings. I've got 3 bears - no story - just liked them. This one is polished malachite with an onyx fish tied on as a medicine bundle / offering to the bear.

PS - Lila and Hailstones Melt - where is that discussions about cultural images? I remember HM's dragons. I came across something interesting from the Zuni mythology. They have 6 cardinal points N-S-E-W, as well as the sky and inner Earth.

zuni bear.jpg

Reactions: Snowmelt and Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Pear orchard not coming together - hmm - what to submit today? I look down and there is my inspiration - my Lloyd in Space pjs. Lloyd is my favorite member of the petting zoo, and one day I was in Old Navy and there he was - immortalized on pajama bottoms - and in space, to boot!!

lloyd in space.jpg

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Pear orchard not coming together - hmm - what to submit today? I look down and there is my inspiration - my Lloyd in Space pjs. Lloyd is my favorite member of the petting zoo, and one day I was in Old Navy and there he was - immortalized on pajama bottoms - and in space, to boot!!

View attachment 6357
That is so flippin' adorable.

Reactions: Lila

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I was sitting very still on the deck this afternoon watching one of our yellow-belly tree squirrels making its way from the neighbor's tree on one side to one on the other side of us. It is endlessly fascinating to watch all the ways the squirrels move around our 3 yards. This particular route involves crossing along the deck rail. I thought for sure it noticed me and said "Hello little one" as it passed near. It was shocked, hence the open mouth, and I believed it said something impolite. :-))

I could not draw it from memory and used a picture to help me out.

squirrel.jpg

Reactions: Lila
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
My son and I are drawing right now.
20190726_182212.jpg

He asks me to draw with him a lot. His creations are crazy with cars and trains and animals. He's making a city scape right now.

I made one a bit ago for him.

20190627_151649.jpg

He sure does push me to keep up with drawing. Haha

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
My son and I are drawing right now.
View attachment 7597

He asks me to draw with him a lot. His creations are crazy with cars and trains and animals. He's making a city scape right now.

I made one a bit ago for him.

View attachment 7598

He sure does push me to keep up with drawing. Haha
Love, love, love your son's grasp of complex structures and how an image can fill a page. Your cat is just about ready to walk into my arms!

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Wow, you got the depth of 'void' it came out of, the perspective of the dimensions, the energetic 'poofs' at the edges... you got it all. Beatuiful!

Bert

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Jan 10, 2019
Belgium
Wow, you got the depth of 'void' it came out of, the perspective of the dimensions, the energetic 'poofs' at the edges... you got it all. Beatuiful!
indeed, and the movement of the merkabah is also apparent by the "redshift" in the top left corner.

Very well done. It is not easy to get a 3D moving object onto a 2D canvas with all the depth and movement in it!

therium

Involved Wayfarer
RT Supporter
Nov 1, 2018
Michigan
Angela I have an idea. How about if you focus on a topic in your head, beam it to us, and we try to draw it or make art from it using our intuition?

• Divine
  • New to me!
Reactions: Lila and Angela

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)