Artistic perspective (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
This is my Mythical Creature (I had fun with the photos of male models for this!) A note on the spiritual aspect of this: The green part of the background indicates their foundational connection with nature, the blue indicates it is an astral vision (air), and the black indicates the thin veil between our plane and theirs which one need only penetrate to come face-to-face with your favourite mythical creature.

IMG_0137.JPG

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Wow! What neat aspects with the colors too! I love it! Love the textured look in it.

Mine is going to be a day late. I had a thing to do this weekend and thought I'd have time for doing the color but didn't. I'll try to finish today.

Reactions: Laron and Stargazer
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I have an idea for the next prompt.
But if anyone still wants to contribute to any of the previous ones, (even the starter "Fox" one) feel free! The whole purpose is being a muse to any tacit creative juices that need shaken up. :)

Next prompt is a little different.

Symmetry
Due July 15th.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I have an idea for the next prompt.
But if anyone still wants to contribute to any of the previous ones, (even the starter "Fox" one) feel free! The whole purpose is being a muse to any tacit creative juices that need shaken up. :)

Next prompt is a little different.

Symmetry
Due July 15th.
This whole idea is giving me the most fun I've had in ages, and secondly, it's really helping me move in my paradigm shift. Why I say that is that my dreams show that I'm not as stuck as before (always dreaming about performing secretarial work); the other night I dreamed I was given the job of drawing a sculpture emerging from a dark recess - and my job was to both draw it and understand it. It looked like an abstract sculpture of a raptor face, or bird-like deity face coming out of a spiral conch shell (all done in something shiny - like titanium). OK, my dreams do sometimes fall back to being useful as a secretary, but, hey, we're making progress...!!

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
This whole idea is giving me the most fun I've had in ages, and secondly, it's really helping me move in my paradigm shift. Why I say that is that my dreams show that I'm not as stuck as before (always dreaming about performing secretarial work); the other night I dreamed I was given the job of drawing a sculpture emerging from a dark recess - and my job was to both draw it and understand it. It looked like an abstract sculpture of a raptor face, or bird-like deity face coming out of a spiral conch shell (all done in something shiny - like titanium). OK, my dreams do sometimes fall back to being useful as a secretary, but, hey, we're making progress...!!
I'm so glad you're having such an experience with this thread! And to have it show up as a different paradigm to play with. That is so cool.

Stargazer

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
USA
rememberinginfinity.wordpress.com

Alain

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Aug 29, 2017
This is my Mythical Creature (I had fun with the photos of male models for this!) A note on the spiritual aspect of this: The green part of the background indicates their foundational connection with nature, the blue indicates it is an astral vision (air), and the black indicates the thin veil between our plane and theirs which one need only penetrate to come face-to-face with your favourite mythical creature.

View attachment 4754

From games and 2 film i know that appearance a centaur

Reactions: Lila and Linda

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
Angela and HM - you all are so talented. Your latest work has a touch of realism, as if you had some direct experience.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I'm posting ahead of the date, so no panic. I preferred to get into playing with colours and patterns than sewing a curtain which needs doing. It is a great topic this time - Symmetry. My work for this has been inspired by one of my favourite books on my bookshelf - The Grammar of Ornament by Owen Jones (which has 100 colour plates from the Folio Edition of the Great Victorian Sourcebook of Historic Design). First I will show you the type of motifs and ornaments depicted in there (this page is from the Medieval section). There are literally 1,000's of designs throughout the whole book.

GRAMMAR OF ORNAMENT_Medieval.jpg

Then to depict Symmetry, I went on to create an image of ornament using motifs I often doodled (coming up from my subconscious mind) when I was on long phone calls at work. My left hand would be doodling (acting on impetus from my right brain), while my left brain would be directing operations of a business nature over the phone.

Here is the result:

IMG_0139.JPG

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Wooooow, HM.

I'm mesmerized to keep looking at it. And a neat source of inspiration too. I love how colorful it is! The yellow in the corners make it as if it's framing the center piece even further. It's really cool.

I often doodle when I'm on the phone as well, but never anything with much depth. Heheh.

Mine is technically done. I finished it up yesterday but fell to the trap of adding more when I should've said quits. So I'm not sure if I'm going to do another rendition of it before Sunday or stick with what I have.

Reactions: Lila and June

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
I'm posting ahead of the date, so no panic. I preferred to get into playing with colours and patterns than sewing a curtain which needs doing. It is a great topic this time - Symmetry. My work for this has been inspired by one of my favourite books on my bookshelf - The Grammar of Ornament by Owen Jones (which has 100 colour plates from the Folio Edition of the Great Victorian Sourcebook of Historic Design). First I will show you the type of motifs and ornaments depicted in there (this page is from the Medieval section). There are literally 1,000's of designs throughout the whole book.

View attachment 4826

Then to depict Symmetry, I went on to create an image of ornament using motifs I often doodled (coming up from my subconscious mind) when I was on long phone calls at work. My left hand would be doodling (acting on impetus from my right brain), while my left brain would be directing operations of a business nature over the phone.

Here is the result:

I like your painting, Melt, the words that entered my head as I looked at it were ( ancient symbolism ).

I can imagine that as a beautiful bright, throw, on a sofa.

View attachment 4827

Reactions: Lila
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
You know what? I looked at it this morning and I'm actually very happy with it! (It was wet last night and I was tired, etc etc.)

So I guess I'm going to put mine up early as well!
I decided to do a tessellation! Which is a kind of symmetry called "translational symmetry." I thought it would be fun to play with fluid watercolors with something specifically symmetrical. And well, you can (hopefully) see from my picture what I mean. :)

20180712_084545.jpg

Orientation should have the blue in the top left corner.

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
You know what? I looked at it this morning and I'm actually very happy with it! (It was wet last night and I was tired, etc etc.)

I decided to do a tessellation! Which is a kind of symmetry called "translational symmetry." I thought it would be fun to play with fluid watercolors with something specifically symmetrical. And well, you can (hopefully) see from my picture what I mean. :)

View attachment 4828

That is lovely, Angela, reminds me of the ocean at sunset.

You are all so artistic.

Reactions: Lila

June

Elder Entity
Aug 3, 2016
I have tried to paint in water colours, and had some success with copying a pic, but I’m truly hopeless at drawing, or painting something from my head.

I’ve seen a pic in my head I’ve been wanting to paint for a long time, but haven’t got a clue how to do it.
It’s a dark stormy sea, a little fishing boat struggles to reach the safe harbour in the distance.
The sky is bruised and threatening, then the sun pierces the cloud and streams down, as if from the hand of god, catching the little boat in its brilliant rays. Very dramatic.

If I was a painter I think I would love painting the ocean and mountains, especially the Rockie mountains, with the beautiful coloured lakes.

I so admire people who capture light in their paintings.
The sun streaming through a forest, or simply lighting up a room.

It’s all in my head and heart, unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to transfer it to my hand. .

Never mind my creative streak goes into my home.

Reactions: Lila and Angela
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I have tried to paint in water colours, and had some success with copying a pic, but I’m truly hopeless at drawing, or painting something from my head.

I’ve seen a pic in my head I’ve been wanting to paint for a long time, but haven’t got a clue how to do it.
It’s a dark stormy sea, a little fishing boat struggles to reach the safe harbour in the distance.
The sky is bruised and threatening, then the sun pierces the cloud and streams down, as if from the hand of god, catching the little boat in its brilliant rays. Very dramatic.

If I was a painter I think I would love painting the ocean and mountains, especially the Rockie mountains, with the beautiful coloured lakes.

It’s all in my head and heart, unfortunately I don’t seem to be able to transfer it to my hand. .

Sometimes it just takes throwing some things on paper to see what works. I've had countless artistic attempts that I just tried something just to see if it would work. Sometimes it works, often it doesn't. But in those attempts, you learn what works and what doesn't.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia

View attachment 4828

I think you should frame that one! It deserves to be up for all to enjoy. Very delicate colouring, but strong patterning. Love it.

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia

I would love to see your home and see what creative influences you have made with it. Pics?

Reactions: Lila and Angela
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
So I forgot that yesterday was Sunday, and I haven't thought of a prompt for the next go around. Anyone have any suggestions?

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
It is the process, not the product. This is one of the most important things a teacher learns. With that, here is my story. I actually have ideas about projects, but never seem to get around to doing them. A few days ago, I was sitting outside thinking and saw an unusual moth with black and orange wings - very striking. I immediately thought of symmetry. I wanted to draw the moth for you all and was searching for pencils, etc. when an idea popped into my head. I have all kinds of leftover construction paper and tons of broken costume jewelry and buttons that were my grandmothers. So, my end result looks little like a moth - maybe more angel like. It certainly is not orange and black. It is definitely rather raw and unfinished. Yet, somehow I knew I was supposed to do this. Leftover card stock from my daughter's wedding and an earring from my grandmother.

moth 1.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)