Artistic perspective (3 Viewers)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Cool!

The next prompt is:

Local Flora and Fauna

For May 13th.

Any aspect of where you live. This can be a landscape, an animal, a plant. So long as it is inspired by your physical location. :)

Reactions: Laron and Anaeika

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Yes, fire away.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Just a gentle reminder that you have one more week to complete the next prompt. :)

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
It's very clearly a groundhog (to me)! I love it that he has his own little mound perch. I have yet to get mine together, but it's also going to be a little furry critter from Western Australia, called a Quokka. They reside on Rottnest Island, near Perth, and the Dutch explorers called it Rottnest because they thought these critters were rats. But they're not.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I'll give it to you that it does look similar to a groundhog. Prairie dogs are slimmer and smaller though, and their tails (which you cannot see in my picture) are thinner straight sticks. [And if I'm being entirely honest, I completely forgot about it. Haha. :oops::-)) But I used a picture as a guide, and it wasn't showing in that one. ]
I don't think groundhogs tend to sit up like that though, as prairie dogs often do.

It is cute though. There are soooo many prairie dog mounds beside the road virtually everywhere you go here. They are very cute and just mind their own business, people watching from their mounds.

Once I was on a run with my dog, and we cross very close to the path of one, and it stood there shooting a barking "ah!" At us over and over. My dog, who would've typically chased something like this, was stunned and we went passed it quickly. Haha

I can't wait to see your quokka! I've heard of it, and it's mentioned in one of my son's books which lists funky words.

Laron

QHHT & Past Life Regression
Staff member
Administrator
Creator of transients.info & The Roundtable
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
How's everyone doing on this? I know time can get away from us.
I'm going to get onto this on tomorrow. A friend and I are heading out to Mount Lemmon today here near Tucson. (I will have to do today's healing session out of time!)

Reactions: Anaeika

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I'm coming in late and don't currently have a way of posting pics from my computer, just words.
So, here are a few words about foxes (From 'Animal Speak' by Ted Andrews :

"Keynote: Feminine magic + camouflage, shapeshifting + invisibility
Cycle of Power: Nocturnal, dawn and dusk

The fox is a totem that has touched almost every society on the planet. It is a totem that speaks of the need to develop or the awakening of the camouflage, invisibility, and shapeshifting. It is one of themost uniquely skilled and ingenious animals of nature. It can teach these skills to those whose life it enters."

He then goes on for a total of 6+ pages, which may be more pages than any other animal.

I recall dreaming of a fox made of bright green malachite, looking up at me. Those beautiful 'eyes' of the malachite were stunning coupled with those of the fox itself, particularly when she moved<3
I've been looking for such a figurine since, but so far the closest I've come is a carving done in what was advertised as being made from chrysocolla, though I can see there is some bits of malachite in the stone too. She usually sits beside my desk though I can't find her at the moment... or perhaps she's made herself invisible;)

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
IMG_0117.JPG

The Quokka is a marsupial (relative of kangaroos) and they carry their young in a pouch. They live on Rottnest Island which is probably what kept them alive for the centuries before white man came. Now they interact on a daily basis with people, because Rottnest is a tourist island. They eat leaves and twigs which they hold in their little paws, and their island habitat means they have sun, sand and sea in their lives!

Anaeika

Collected Consciousness
Retired Moderator
Aug 28, 2016
What is the second prompt? I can’t seem to find it when I scroll.

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
It is local flora and fauna. It can be a landscape, plant, animal... Anything that captures your location, however you want to show it. :)

HM that is so awesome! Have you ever gotten to meet one up close and personal?

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Aaaahhh. I just looked up more pictures. Their faces are almost like tiny bears! How cute!

Reactions: Laron and Anaeika

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
Hailstones Melt, I think you have found your medium here (along with your poems, creative yarnwork, looking into ancient artifacts, etc, lol:D).
We've seen your painting work before but these are somehow fresher, more 'there'. I love them.

BTW, there's no quokka in my animal totems book, though they do have kangaroos.

Reactions: Angela and Anaeika

Laron

Staff member
Administrator
Jul 19, 2016
Nelson, New Zealand
laron.nz
I still didn't get back to the second activity!

I suggest you have a new one each week Angela and people can then join in or not, and if they don't get around to it they can always attempt the new activity!

Reactions: Lila
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I still didn't get back to the second activity!

I suggest you have a new one each week Angela and people can then join in or not, and if they don't get around to it they can always attempt the new activity!
I'm a little nervous I wouldn't be able to keep up with it, (I would do bi weekly). And I'd feel weird posting a prompt without contributing myself.

I also haven't had any ideas pop in my head. Heh.
Does anyone on here have one they'd like to do?

Reactions: Lila and Laron
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
I've got one! Something out of the deep sea. I have a particularly fascinating subject which gives me goose-bumps if I even think of it. How about it?
Name your dates.
How interesting. I could go for it.
Due June 17th. :) thanks hailstones melt!

Reactions: Lila and Linda
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Coming up on the 17th! I need to get a move on!

OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
That is an awesome piece, HM!
I can see why you were so excited about it!

I have an idea for mine but haven't been able to sit down with it. If the idea works, then I'm actually pretty stoked about it. I may be a couple days late though as this week seemed to have gone by in a blink. I'll try to do some sketching today because that usually pushes me through.

Reactions: Snowmelt and Laron
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Haha okay. So I had some pretty grand schemes for this. I told my husband, and he was like, are you sure you can do that in this amount of time? It seems pretty complicated. And I was all, ahh, well I'll see what happens.
Well. Haha
One can never know what one can create unless one tries, amiright?

I wanted to do a play off of the Nautilus. With its infamous golden ratio.
SmartSelectImage_2018-06-17-16-55-40.png
SmartSelectImage_2018-06-17-16-55-57.png

I had thought, how cool would it be to make like a mandala with the Nautilus. It's little mouth tentacle things fraying the outside. A beautifully ratioed and measured spiral in various directions.
Heh.
I still think it's a cool idea, though I think it would take some work from my initial drawing. Haha Interesting play though with the sketching, which is what you get.

20180617_164358.jpg
Here is my spiral, three in each direction, measuring by hand and sketch to do the pattern of 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, 55, etc.
20180617_165244.jpg
And here I just decided to incorporate one Nautilus so you could kind of see what was going on. Haha

Fun. Fun. I think this will be where this one rests though. Haha

Snowmelt

Snowmelt
Staff member
RT Supporter
Board Moderator
Aug 15, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I love the inspiration, and what came out is magical. If you did get to colouring it (one day - time, I know) I wouldn't put too many colours in there, but just 2 shades of one colour. Otherwise that number of intersections could get confusing! But without the colour, you can really see the foundational spiral ratio in the picture.

Reactions: Lila and Angela
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
So I kind of have an idea in the next prompt. Let me know if you find it interesting, or if you want to play with something different.

Mythical creatures
Due in the whereabouts of July 1st.
:)

Reactions: Laron
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
Here's my effort - I call it "Mr Slinky". It's oil on canvas. I had to break out the paints after a long sojourn in the back of a cupboard, and all the acrylics were dried up in their tubes. Oil paint really is a pleasure to work with - the only issue is it can take months to fully dry, but I have no problem with that!

View attachment 4265
I can't get over this. You have so much artistic talent, HM. I'm so excited you're joining in this thread.

Reactions: Lila
OP
Angela

Angela

Roaming Contributor
RT Supporter
Jul 28, 2016
This one is coming up!
I'm excited to put color to my sketch!

Reactions: Snowmelt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)