Are You Available for 24 Hours? How About Printing Your Next House? (1 Viewer)

• Welcome to the Roundtable! If you have an account already, please sign in, otherwise feel free to register. Note that you will be unable to post or access some boards and information unless you sign in.

Linda

Sweetheart of the Rodeo
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Board Moderator
Jul 20, 2016
I've lived in several homes, some older and some newer. The older ones were built for the climate, with well-positioned windows and deep eaves. My grandparents lived in a post-war (WW2) home, which was small, but well-designed, especially the plumbing. It also had an attic fan that could pull the hot air out of the house in a matter of minutes. However, the thing missing in all of them was insulation.

Design for living and working spaces interests me because so much of it seems to be done poorly. Also, it has gotten so darn expensive and is labor intensive. Since the 1980s, the quality of lumber for construction has declined. If you watch a home being constructed, you will see some lumber discarded because it is warped or full of knot holes.

What is the next step? Since the inception of 3-D printers, people have been expanding their uses - artificial limbs, casts for broken arms, replacement part on the Space Station, and few years ago - homes. Now we see bridges and commercial projects, and some firms are looking to building on Mars.

This post includes new information on the subject. There are other components such as local soil and debris from rice fields, hemp, plastic, and others. There are new designs that allow for air movement. Printing desgns can allow for plumbing and electrical service. The following video shows 7 creative projects.

• Informative
Reactions: Lila

Lila

Collected Consciousness
Staff member
RT Supporter
Global Moderator
Board Moderator
Jul 28, 2016
I could definitely see this bringing the price of housing down. It also might make microhousing feel more feasible.

Also, it would be a natural step to make houses modular so that pieces could be added/deleted or houses adjacent could be readily moved. It would certainly make moving to a new town a lot easier!
Lots of shape options too; I'd guess you'd be mostly limited by your imagination and gravity, rather than the materials.
You'd be living in plastic. To me that is the big downside that seems most obvious... though one of them is rice + soil:cool:

These people are thinking big!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)